cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Wi-Fi - Authentication Error Occurred

Highlighted
Journeyman

Help with Wi-Fi - Authentication Error Occurred

I'm stumped with Wi-Fi problems.  If I'm within 10 feet of my access point my Wi-Fi works fine.  If I move farther away the phone still sees the access point just fine, but when I try to connect with the phone I get "Authentication Error Occurred".  This obviously isn't the right error message since the credentials work just fine when you are close. 

I've tried everything I can to reconfigure my home network, but that apparently isn't the issue because now I'm having the same error with other networks.  I tried connecting to the open network at our local pub tonight and got the same error.  Plus none of my other home devices are having issues with Wi-Fi including other Samsung phones.

On the phone I've tried forgetting all networks and reconnecting, clearing the cache and data on the network location service, turning off WiFi Power Save Mode, and every other tip I could find, but nothing has worked.  I did some searching on the Internet and this appears to be a common problem that others have had.

My phone is still running 4.1.2 so maybe the 4.3 update will fix it.   Until they does anyone have ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks, Daniel

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Help with Wi-Fi - Authentication Error Occurred

Hello, Daniel. I have done a little research and this might help. On your phone dialer, dial *#0011#. When the next screen comes up, press menu, then Wifi. Next to the ping, it might display "On". Turn it off and press your home button. Then try and connect to your Wi-fi network.

Journeyman

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately that didn't work for me.   I have already tried turning off Wi-Fi Power Save Mode in that menu and it didn't change anything on the phone that I could notice.  Any other ideas?

Journeyman

I upgraded to Android 4.3 and unfortunately I still have the same problem.  I was hoping updating would fix the issue, but no luck.  Anyone have any ideas?  My next step is to re-format the phone altogether and start fresh.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat