Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with writing or saving on SD card from computer after connecting with usb port

Journeyman

Help with writing or saving on SD card from computer after connecting with usb port

I am not able to write or save to my sd card. I have always been able to on my other phones, but  this phone just lets me copy and paste from my computer, it won't let me open  i.e. a Word file and ad to it or any other files. Can anybody tell me how to get around that.

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Master

Re: Help with writing or saving on SD card from computer after connecting with usb port

I'm not sure if I get you right, but it will be safer to just download it to your computer (since you can copy files) make changes that you need to do and copy the edited file in your SD card. Also make sure your card settings are set so you can read, write, and delete.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Help with writing or saving on SD card from computer after connecting with usb port

When I connect my phone with the usb, the folder option opens and it gives me option and one of those is to open device to view files using windows explorer. I click on that and click on a file, i.e. a word document. I add or change the document and when I click on save, it opens a box that says save to and the option to save it to is C:\Users\my name\AppData\Local\Temp\WPDNSE\{01AB0144-0189-0142-0D01-260117013601}. It does not let  me save to the card.  When I click on save to C:\Users\my name\AppData\Local\Temp\WPDNSE\{01AB0144-0189-0142-0D01-260117013601}, it says this file is read only. I can read the files and delete the files. I looked at my sd card, and I do not see a tab to unlock it. I have used this card for my Galaxy SII and my HTC Evo and was always able to write and save any files. I looked at the document properties and it show that it is located in the above folder. My previous phones showed that they were drives (i.e. f drive). This phone shows it is a portable drive. My backup external drive shows it is a letter drive, so I don't know why the phone doesn't. Also, when I look at the thumbnail pictures, they are just icons, on my previous phones, the were the actual thumbnail for the picture.

Thanks for your help. I am also going to post this again with this explanation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

well first thing is, are you switching the phone to USB storage mode when you plug it in?

if it's not in storage mode the phone wont let you play with stuff that on the phone or it's SD card to prevent you from messing with resources that are in use

second, are all your apps on the phone turned off?  some apps will take control of content on the SD card and wont let you mess with it while it's in use

those are the two obvious solutions... anything beyond that and you're looking at something actually being wrong with the card itself

Highlighted
Master

Correct, make sure when plugged in, on your phone, you select use it as a drive. Also when the screen comes up on your PC, just select do nothing, or cancel (not sure which because I use a mac). Go under my computer and see if a new drive is showing up. If it does, you are good to go, just click on it and start doing what you need to do. If it does not show up, I would suggest to try and save all your data from that card and try formatting it, or just buy a class 10 micro SD, newegg or tigerdirect have some cheap ones, or if you have a frys close by, go there and check it out. Ebay is very risky, because you don't know what you will get, many fake cards in there.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

How would I switch my phone to storage mode? When I plug it in, it automatically opens a box with options to use my phone and sd card. I tried it with all apps being turned off too.  I talked to a tech support person at  Samsung and they said that my phone should show as a removable drive, not as a portable media device. She walked me through many things, nothing worked.  My sd card is a Samsung card and I have tried others and still get the same result. I guess I will call Sprint and see if they can help, then do a hard factory reset (which I think I have already done) and then If nothing works, exchange my phone for a new one. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I plug it in, it automatically opens a box with options to use my phone and sd card. When I click on do nothing and go to my computer, it shows up as a portable device and not as a removable drive.I talked to a tech support person at  Samsung and they said that my phone should show as a removable drive, not as a portable media device. She walked me through many things, nothing worked. I installed drivers, reinstalled Kies Air and uninstalled Kies Air. I connected my phone to a different computer and it still didn't work. My sd card is a Samsung card and I have tried others and still get the same result. I also formatted my card. I tried taking the sd card out and reading it straight from my computer with an SD adapter and I was able to read, write and save on it, so I don't think it's the card. I also went under development and check allow USB debugging. That didn't help either.  I guess I will call Sprint and see if they can help, then do a hard factory reset (which I think I have already done) and then If nothing works, exchange my phone for a new one. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks

Highlighted
Master

Just so we can get it straight, on your phone when you plug it in, you should see 2 options, one is the portable drive and the other I think is a pass through for data connection.

You need to select option one, and on the computer, do not select anything, just cancel out. Go atmy computer, and see what drives you have in there, right click and select properties on the drive that correspond with your phone, click on the SECURITY tab on top, and see what is checked as far as the permissions.

Also, are you an administrator in your computer log in or just a user, that sometimes can make a difference.

I'll also let you know about a program that I think is better then Kies (I'm at work now and I don't rememberthe name).

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I plug my phone in, nothing pops up. I get a message. "connected as a media device" and then  click on more options and I get MTP (which is checked) and PTP. I then go to my computer and there is a new category called portable devices. Under that is my phone and it says portable media player. When I right click and see the properties, there is only a general tab, nothing to click on.  I returned my phone on the advice of a Sprint tech support and the Samsung rep was there so I showed her and she said that there was supposed to be a removable device drive letter. I got my new phone and it was the same way, so she plugged in her Note 2 and it was exactly like mine as was her Samsung 3. I came home and tried to install drivers and that didn't work. I then went on a yahoo search and apparently these phones with Jelly Bean no longer have the device drive. They say the phone must be rooted (which I won't do).  You would think that in a "phablet" having the removable drive would be a main feature. Yes, I would like to know the program you have. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate your input!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I forgot to add to the above message,

MY MODEL NUMBER IS SPH-L900 GALAXY NOTE 2.

I forgot to add an important detail in the last message.

When  I connected my phone to the computer (windows 7) using the usb cord supplied with the phone, I received a message on the phone, "my phone gives me a message that states unable to find software on your pc that can recognize your device. service pack 3, windows Media Player 10 or higher for windows XP. My version of Window is Windows 7 and there is no service pack 3. I do have window media player 10 and the only service pack 1 which is up to date.  I just sent an email to Samsung. Hopefully they will have a solution.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It might be inconvenient, but back into the solution by trying to access via a different computer and eliminate your computer as part of the problem - that is, if you haven't already done that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, but unfortunately, I have tried it on several computers, Windows 7 and Windows 8. I have done a search and apparently, most people have the same problem. They say that that it's new with JellyBean, but I sent Samsung an  email, so I'll find out. Thanks for your help.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat