cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does your battery last with normal to semi-heavy data usage?

Highlighted
Journeyman

How long does your battery last with normal to semi-heavy data usage?

Hi, I just bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and was wondering it people could tell me how long their battery lasts with normal phone and data usage. What about heavy data usage (email, Words with Friends, texting, Facebook)?

I would really appreciate your answers.

11 REPLIES 11
Wizard

Re: How long does your battery last with normal to semi-heavy data usage?

jsh826,

Thanks for the post. I have one of my peers here with the Note 2. He tells me he has great battery life. This is with medium to heavy usage.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

jsh826 wrote:

Hi, I just bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and was wondering it people could tell me how long their battery lasts with normal phone and data usage. What about heavy data usage (email, Words with Friends, texting, Facebook)?

I would really appreciate your answers.

I use my SGN2 a lot during the day and night.  I've found that the screen brightness is the controlling factor for battery life longevity.  I don't use "auto brightness" but set it to the office conditions and then to home conditions etc. manually and get MUCH BETTER BATTERY LIFE from the Note 2.

Data use is heavy with about 80% on WiFi and 20% on 3G service.  No LTE in my area but when in Austin TX on LTE for the whole day I get about the same battery life  when on 3G in my home area.  I've run out of battery a couple of times and that was due to my over sight not turning on power saving mode. 

Once you've gone Note you'll never go back!  Now when is that release of the Note 3?

Hope this helps, not using "auto screen brightness" did the trick for me.

-Rod

Journeyman

My battery goes down to about 38% by the time I go to bed with medium use. I made sure the auto brightness was off. So far,  I love my note 2, too! Thanks for your input.

Wizard

6850buggypilot,

Thanks for the input. Very good info. I almost forgot about brightness and email push. These are sneaky power thieves.Adjusting these items will save power.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Wizard

jsh826,

Thanks for the reply. Glad to see you got the info you need. Please let us know if there is anything else you need assist with. We are here to help and as you can see our customers don't mind jumping in there either.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

2013-05-20-23-55-06.png2013-05-20-23-55-43.png

I posted these numbers to the other day. I am a heavy user so even this my phone's screen on time was low, whole the screen was off, Pandora was streaming. During the screen on time I was mostly streaming videos and watching TV. My GS3 battery be done for with 6 hours of what I put this phone thru . I got a total of almost 30 hours before it finally died. Suprisingly, this was all on 4G, no WiFi. With no brightness, (phone is plenty bright at work) and no  push notifications, I'm always looking to see how much juice I can get from this battery.

Journeyman

I have horrible time with my battery. My phone will roam in areas its not supposed to, and I this keeps coming up as well.

Wizard

Kritzell,

Thanks for the post. Have you tried stopping your wifi? You should be able to turn off the roaming capabilities within your settings. Another option is to stop running apps, Now dont get me wrong Im not saying not to use apps. Im saying to make sure apps are not running in the background this can be something that can be done in your settings. Let me know if you need help looking for this setting. Just going to need your device model.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I keep my wifi on at home. Otherwise its shut off. I am a home health aide in 45840 area, where the signal strength is really good. I go to turn my roaming capabilities off and I don't get a signal, or my phone will look for signal, and that drains the battery as well. I have forced closed apps and they are the apps that come downloaded on the phone. I have wiped my phone, updated my prl and my profile and still getting that issue. I have noticed tho if I turn data streaming off, and have my screen set to 10% it does better on the battery.  My job is to go to different elderly peoples homes to help care for them. SPH-L900  Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Wizard

Kritzell,

Thanks for the post reply. I show the zip you provided is in 3G coverage. It sounds like you have done all you could with shutting down the power hungry options on your device. I would take it in to a Sprint Serv. and Repair to have them check the battery to make sure its still holding a charge correctly. You can find a Sprint Serv. and Repair store closest to you with this link- www.sprint.com/storelocator  . Let me know if they were able to help.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I have to say that the best thing about my Note 2 is the battery life!  Being in real estate and working outside the office a great deal, I am a fairly heavy user.  After a full day of calls, checking emails, texting, GPS usage, mortgage calculator app, internet, MLS home searches, taking photos, downloading apps, using flashlight to peer into attics or crawl spaces, online banking, and a host of other miscellaneous tasks, I still only charge my phone when I go to bed at night!  Although there are things about the Note 2 that annoy me, it has been a powerful, reliable and invaluable tool for my business.  I have yet to need my car charger since I got this phone, whereas on my old phones I had to plug in every time I used the GPS for more than a few minutes, which means pretty much every time I got in the car since I rely heavily on my GPS to guide me to all my appointments.

If you are having battery issues, it could be your charger is defective.  I had an issue the first week and found out that the home charger was not actually charging my phone even though the charging indicator said it was charging.  Switched to a different charger, and problem solved.  Also, by the way, my car charger has a similar issue, and I learned that the mini-USB plug stopped working but if I use the "pigtail" USB cable that plugs into the side of the charger it works fine (albeit inconvenient).  Mine is not very old (maybe 6 months old?), but stopped working after just a couple of months.  My son works for Sprint, and he told me that this has been a common issue with these particular car chargers, which I think they recently stopped carrying in the stores.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat