Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note II problems after KitKat 4.4.2 upgrade

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Note II problems after KitKat 4.4.2 upgrade

Received the KitKat 4.4.2 upgrade on Tuesday and installed it.  Prior to the upgrade I had 1GB of available space; afterwards I now have 30MB of space left.  I had been planning on installing a SD card, so I purchased one on put it in.  Now I cannot transfer files (pixs, music, etc) to the SD card so I can regain some space.  A search revealed that KitKat took that functionality away.  Also because of the lack of space, a few of my apps will not launch.  I wish now that I had done some research before clicking on the upgrade.

Does anyone have any thoughts on (1) why the loss of almost 1GB of space, and (2) is there a fix (short of messing with the root) for the SD file transfer problem?  Is there a fix around the corner?  Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27
Journeyman

Re: Note II problems after KitKat 4.4.2 upgrade

Thanks for taking point on this one.  I'm hanging back in the rear to see what the carnage is like.  I waited a long time before updating to 4.3 and followed some sage advice to backup everything first and then do a complete factory reset before the 4.3 upgrade.  I had zero issues with the 4.3 update.  I had some minor quibbles with feature changes but no technical issues.  I a sure you are sick of hearing "factory reset" but that would be my advice to you.  Samsung has too many phones/carriers/application-compatibility-factors to do a 100% bug free "update on the fly" .  Backup what you have and don't just depend on Kies for a backup.  Get a second backup as a failsafe.  Good luck.  Let me know what happens.

Journeyman

Thank you for your response.  I figured I would eventually have to do a factory reset ,,, was hoping there was something I was missing or a simpler solution.  Thanks about advising not to rely completely on Kies.  What would you recommend as an alternate backup choice?

Master

Manually transfer images/videos to storage card, cloud services or computer. Use MyBackupPro or similar to backup call history, messages, bookmarks, etc.

That's what I do with every update that comes along.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

grater52 - Another backup choice you can use is Dropbox, which also save files that you have on your device. Also hooking up your device to a computer and manually transferring your files to your SD card works as an alternative. Hope this helps. - Naomi Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Just installed the KitKat update, and no longer can send text messages on my Note 2.  Neither the original message app or google hangouts will send any sms messages.

Where do I do from here?

Master

trooper21804

Thanks for reaching out. Let's try this, go to Settings>System update>Update both profile & PRL. Let me know if this helps.

Leo
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

This is stupid to take away our ablility to use or sd memory cards. Hell we pay for them, thats just like me telling you oh Sprint the service you pay for you can not use it. Who and what genius thought to take away our freedom to use our phones as we wanted to?

Wizard

You're complaining to the wrong person. Sprint has nothing to do with the SD card and storage. This is something that Google decided to do with the last update to android

Master

cheifbobo

I understand this can be frustrating, but the manufacturer has control over what the updates entail. If you have any other question or concerns, don't hesitate to let us know. We are here to help.

Leo
Sprint Social Care Team
Master

This is a problem you will need to take up with Google as it affects all Google phones whether they be on Sprint, Verizon or any other carrier.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

Whoops, looks like others already told you the same.

--

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat