cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Voice/SMS/MMS Reliability with Galaxy Note 2

Highlighted
Patron

Poor Voice/SMS/MMS Reliability with Galaxy Note 2

Hello, I am a 15 year customer of Sprint. I have been having a great deal of problems with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 since I purchased it from a Sprint store on the release date of October 25th 2012. I purchased the first box sold at store location #898 located on RT 59 in Naperville, IL.

Please assume all problems below are seen with no third party applications installed that may potentially interfere with quality of service. Wireless settings are set to use Sprint's "LTE/CDMA" preferred network mode in the Western Chicagoland Suburbs. Assume Sprint's "Connection Optomizer" is enabled. Assume my PRL is being reset at a daily rate both at home and at the office.

Please give me suggestions for correcting these problems, or reply here if you are experiencing the same problems with your Galaxy Note 2.

No Incomming Calls Around Office Location

I work in a 6 story office building located at 1444 N Farnsworth Ave in Aurora, IL 60505. When I enter the proximity of my office (roughly 3 block diameter) I am no longer able to recieve incomming calls. My phone does not ring, I do not receive text messages, I do not recieve voicemails. When attempting a test call from a office landline phone to my cellphone, I get the message "The number you have reached is not in service, this is a recording" or a busy signal. When attempting a test call from a cellphone (Verizon) to my cellphone, I get my voicemail after about 20 seconds of ringing on the line (with no response of the call on my phone). These cases are constant after about 10 tries with each method. Once I leave the proximity of my office, I get a barrage of text messages and voicemails that have piled up throughout the day delivered to my phone. This has happened every day since I purchased this phone. This problem did not occur with my old phone (HTC EVO3D) and does not occur with co-worker's phones (Samsung Galaxy S2/S3) which are on the Sprint network. It may be worth it to note that there are a large number of point to point microwave link dishes (high speed internet from the john handcock center) on the roof of the building, as well as Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T carrier level cellular transcievers.

Outgoing Calls Lose Connection Within 1 Minute

Outgoing call made from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 fail within roughly 1 minute. I have had times where phonecalls lose connection after 20 seconds, some after 40 seconds, some at 1 minute. There are rare occasions where I have been able to hold a call longer than 5 minutes, but this accounts for <10% of my attempts. I have this problem calling landlines, cellphones, and Sprint Customer Care. When the call terminates, it looks as if the phone is ending the call, rather than service being lost. The CDMA network signal strength meter stays at the same level while in the call, at the point of termination, and after termination of the call. These cases occur in situations where signal strenth is between 75%-100% and the phone is in a non-moving position.

Text Message (SMS/MMS) Errors

I have problems in both my office and home with sending and recieveing text messages. In my office, I cannot send or recieve text messages (within the previously mentioned 3 block radius) about 70% of the time. Once I leave this area, I recieve my day's worth of incomming text messages that have built up, and am then able to send messages as well. Once I enter my home area loacted at Forest View Rd in Lisle, IL 60532, I cannot send text messages, but can recieve them. When attempting to send text messages, I encounter and "Error Code 97". I believe this has something to do with my Sprint supplied "AirRave" Femptocell by Airvana, as this has been a recurring problem in the past with my HTC EVO3D as well. Text messaging seems to work fine in most other areas I have been in other than the office and home.

The Good

My data service seems to work great through 4G LTE, 3G, and WiFi. Never really seem to have a problem with this, even in areas where the aforementioned problems occur. Overall the rest of the phone works great as well, when using it as a tablet, moreso than a phone (since voice/text keep failing).

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Poor Voice/SMS/MMS Reliability with Galaxy Note 2

HiTechTis,  I STRONGLY advise you to take your Note-2 back to the store within 30 days of purchase and request a replacement.  It sounds like you might have a hardware/antenna issue.  The first batch of ANY phone to reach the market usually has a higher incidence of "lemons" than those manufactured after the Quality Control people get feedback and make adjustments.  TAKE IT BACK ASAP and request a replacement.  That is what I would do.  Good luck!  Please let us know the outcome. 

Journeyman

Hard reset?

Patron

I plan on doing that as a last ditch effort, but with the phone working in specific areas and always showing coverage even in problem states, it seems more likely to me to be a Sprint issue than antenna issue. Something along the lines of LTE handoffs between towers where I am getting lost in the middle. I'm also hoping not to spend another full day recustomizing my phone again as I play with every option on a device and replacing it will force me to go down that road again.

Master

if you back it up with Kies, it will save the settings also, just make sure you select all the options, and you will have a clone of the old one.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Having same issue here, upgraded my htc evo 4g og (without any signal problems) to samsung galaxy note II and lost voice signal in almost all area and data on some areas here in general houston area

hope sprint is fixinfg something or i may have to return the phone and get something else or maybe just change provider, although i'm not sure how it will work as my plan is already upgraded to another 2 years contract.

Master

In general, EVO's had a better antenna in them, but just in case have you tried to power off you phone (take the battery out for about 10 sec), after powering on, try updating in order: 1st - profile, 2nd- PRL.

See if this helps, if not try taking it in for a diagnostic. Make sure your get a ticket from the phone support, unless you have insurance, because they will charge you for diagnostic.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Patron

Unplugging my "AiRave Femptocell by Airvana" at home has solved my problem. I really wish Sprint would get that terrible product to work as expected, but still happy my Note 2 is now working!

Journeyman

i went to a sprint store and they advice me to return and exchange the deffective phone (bought it from bestbuy.com online), they replaced it and it worked right away although now i got the white instead of the titanium ... well atleast its all good and working now

thanks Dj_Damjano

Journeyman

I have a Galaxy Note 2 and started having problems with sending/receiving calls about a month ago.This phone is barely 4 months old and I have the equipment protection plan.  Basically phone stops working. Full signal strength. If I do a power cycle, phone starts working, signal is weak. After about 10 mins signal strength goes to almost full and the phone stops working. A manual PRL update after a reboot causes the phone to stop working immediately. Iphones work file. Appears to be some interaction between phone and a particular cell tower I have called sustomer service multiple times.  Get clueless answers. Everytime I need to repeat myself - I think I am getting really good at repeating the problem every time I call. I can now sumamrize the problem in a minute or less :-)  There is no concept of problem tracking - is Sprint  living in the dark ages of customer service?. Completely fed up I have an really expensive brick at this point.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat