Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung GALAXY Note II - Available this Fall

Journeyman

Re: Samsung GALAXY Note II - Available this Fall

M_Marcus wrote:

I am sure you knew that!!!

I think the confusion comes from the difference between SIM for GSM 2G/3G when using a device internationally, and the LTE aspect of using a SIM.

Sprint uses an embedded chip for their LTE, which is very inflexible for customers, compared to Verizon or ATT in the states.

Usually, their international phones have a SIM with a removable card. The Photon Q's sim is embeded. I think RC wasn't considering how the SIM comes into play with a phone that actually works internationally (GSM) than the run of the mill LTE devices Sprint has released so far.

Wizard

Thank you for the clarification.

SA_twospirits wrote:

6850buggypilot wrote:

Some of Sprints phones like from Motorola do have SIM's but they are embedded (non removable).

On my Motorola Photon the SIM card is removable.

http://santafemods.com/Forum/SprintCommunity/MotoPhotonSIM.jpg

TS

But SA_twospirits is able remove his without any problem,so that would mean that sim card can be taken out.

Sprint Employee

You are right, so far we only have the iPhone 5, and the Photon Q for international capable LTE phones. I do understand what you are saying about being able to use whichever service provider that you wish while travelling abroad. Each way has it's pros and cons. having a removable ICC (new type of SIM card) we still need to offer protection for LTE authentication, therefor require that the ICC active for your phone number will only work with the phone that it currently active with the same. We'll have to wait and see how future devices will be arranged, and will pass along your concern, Thank you M_Marcus for the feedback.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

VorlessDarkChaos wrote:

But SA_twospirits is able remove his without any problem,so that would mean that sim card can be taken out.

That would be because SA-twospirits has a Motorola Photon (a 2011 phone with WiMax). The Motorola Photon Q (the Q is a different, newer model) is LTE. Both have GSM support for international roaming, but the new Photon Q's SIM card is embedded - unremovable. This probably has to do with the fact that Sprint probably doesn't want the Photon Q's SIM to be removable because of how Sprint's LTE network is set up.

Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

You are right, so far we only have the iPhone 5, and the Photon Q for international capable LTE phones. I do understand what you are saying about being able to use whichever service provider that you wish while travelling abroad. Each way has it's pros and cons. having a removable ICC (new type of SIM card) we still need to offer protection for LTE authentication, therefor require that the ICC active for your phone number will only work with the phone that it currently active with the same. We'll have to wait and see how future devices will be arranged, and will pass along your concern, Thank you M_Marcus for the feedback.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most users, if given knowledge of it and the option, would want removable SIM. Now plenty of CDMA users aren't familar with them, and even a fair number of GSM users both here and in Europe probably aren't familiar. Yet, if you asked most phone users if they'd like to be able to switch their phone by just taking a card out and putting it in another phone, without calling customer service, they'd say yes.

To savvy users, having embedded SIM feels like the Sprint trying to tell us they own the phone we bought, even once we've paid off our two year contract.

I made a little mistake and that was not reading the whole post,at first I through he was talking about Photon Q Wimax verison and was unaware of Lte version.

Journeyman

VorlessDarkChaos wrote:

I made a little mistake and that was not reading the whole post,at first I through he was talking about Photon Q Wimax verison and was unaware of Lte version.

I'm sorry, I'm a nerd so I'm compelled to be pedantic about it. The Photon 4G (no letter Q at the end) is the WiMax +GSM phone from 2011, with a removable SIM. The Photon Q 4G LTE is new (summer 2012) and has LTE, GSM, but the SIM is embedded. As far as I'm aware, all of Sprint's LTE phones have embedded SIMs. Really defeats the whole purpose of SIM.

Journeyman

If I had to guess, the reason Sprint probably embeds the SIM card is that most of their network isn't set up to handle what happens when a user swaps SIM cards because it wouldn't automatically carry over the ESN information. Also, since Sprint has unlimited data for smartphones, but everything else has data plans, they probably don't want a user being able to put a smartphone SIM inside another device like a portable router. Yet Verizon seems capable of handling that kind of thing just fine - if you put your Verizon phone SIM into a router, they'll just change your plan.

Wizard

Opps, I read the post wrong as well. My bad.

Carry on lol

TS

Highlighted
Wizard

I swear this phone gets better and better each and every time I read something about it.

It has slow and fast motion capability. See video. wow , just wow.

and it shows up on the big tv so crystal clear. Nice.

TS

Sprint Employee

Yeah, I've been waiting for this phone for some time now. I'm so glad that it's almost here.

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat