cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guard your "grill" with Otter Box Alpha Glass - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

I received a complimentary OtterBox Alpha Glass accessory for my Note 5 in order to give an honest evaluation. My simple review: Pretty good product, but has a small flaw. Read on for more.

Sprint has been selling Otter Box accessories for years. You can buy Otter Box accessories in any Sprint retail store and online via Sprint.com. We sell Otter Box accessories for one major reason: Their products are well designed, attractive, work and function well. The Alpha Glass fortified glass screen protector is right in line with the rest of the Otter Box product line-up.

box.jpg

If you've never considered installing a fortified glass screen protector on your smartphone let me give you a few good reasons why you should.

• The screen protector is made of hardened, fortified glass. It's not plastic. It won't fade over time.
  • It takes a LOT to scratch it. And if it does scratch, it's cheap to replace and your Note 5 looks like new again.
  • It's easy to install. The kit comes with everything you need and easy instructions. But even better, just ask your Sprint retail associate to install it for you. Boom!
  • It actually strengthens your smartphone and provides better drop protection with minimal weight and almost no added bulk.
  • It works with almost all cases, even the ones with a plastic front glass cover (though it's redundant, so I'd opt to leave the plastic behind).
  • Most important: It has no effect on your touchscreen sensitivity or use.

Here's what you get with the Alpha Glass kit: Fortified glass screen protector, alcohol prep/cleaning pad, lint free microfiber cloth, instructions.

contents.jpg

I laid the Alpha Glass on the face of my Note 5 before peeling back the contact layer film as a "dry run." I wanted to see how the cut-outs lined up.

layout.jpg

Post installation, showing how the Home button / Fingerprint Scanner is still easily accessible, no issues.

bottomedge.jpg

I ALMOST goofed around the front-facing camera. I checked my selfie-cam after install; no camera issues, no glare, no shadows.

cameracutout.jpg

Here's the flaw: As you can see in the Home Button pic above, and below is a super-close-up, the Alpha Glass screen protector does NOT wrap down around the edges of the screen. It's hard to tell the touchscreen is curved at all until you install a screen protector (especially one made of glass). The Note 5 is such a precision device that Samsung designed the front-facing glass with a slight curve on each side. This was done to make the Note 5 feel good to hold in the hand (the degree of nuance, design and style changes that Samsung made in the Note 5 are nearly endless and almost mind-boggling). But as you can see, the Alpha Glass screen protector, which stretches edge-to-edge, isn't curved like the face of the Note 5. Thus, there's ~1mm of edge on each side where the Alpha Glass doesn't seal to the face perfectly. It doesn't impact the use of your touchscreen, and you still get the benefit of the strengthened screen. But I do expect a little dust to creep into that crevice. After installation I put my Note 5 back in it's case and you can hardly see those edges.

edge.jpg

All in all, I am pleased with the Otter Box Alpha Glass fortified glass screen protector. I've installed glass screen protectors from other vendors in the past and had worse results. Other vendors use adhesive that isn't nearly as pliable and smooth as that which is used by Otter Box, and it's easy to get air bubbles that don't "roll" out. Installing the Alpha Glass from Otter Box was certainly smooth and easy. Despite the little edges on each side, I still recommend getting an Otter Box Alpha Glass to strengthen your Note 5 and keep your device looking new for years to come.

Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee