cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 First Impressions

Journeyman

If you’ve ever owned a Samsung flagship, you know that your device will be built with quality, the hardware will be the latest version of all of the specs on the market, and the software will be packed with features.

The Samsung Note 5 is no different. In fact, the Note 5 found a way to build and improve on almost every aspect of the Note 4. Which, in my opinion was a clear frontrunner in the 2014 best phone on the market! My [biased] opinion of the Note 5 is influenced by its predecessors, the Note 3, Note 4, and Note Edge. I’ve carried all 3 for a considerable amount of time. Now, the new generation of the Note series has, once again blown me away! I couldn’t believe how much Samsung changed throughout this device. Since this is just a first impression piece, I’m going to just touch on some of the most noticeable changes in the Note 5. There will be much more to come from this device.

The look –

All of the Notes I mentioned above had a faux leather stitching atop the removable back. A look of quality, the Note line is a series of devices that is for the professional in all of us. With the Note 5, Samsung abandoned the nod to the old school leather briefcase, and encased their latest masterpiece within a [sealed] glass exterior rimmed with metal edges. In spite of removing the nostalgic leather back, there is no mistaking this device as cheaper, or less professional. The new look is every bit as pleasing to my eye, which means its all the more important to protect it with a case. Luckily, I’ve got some great options there too! (more on cases in a later blog)

The feel –

Because of the leather-like backing in the previous versions, holding a caseless Note felt amazing. The incredible attention to detail in the Note 5s spectacle design fully translated into making this device feel even more comfortable to hold than its predecessor. There is a not so subtle curve on the backside of the device, at either edge. This curve is not just for a coolness factor. It serves to make the large 5.7 screen more easily accessible with one handed operation. Obviously, its still meant as a primarily two handed device thanks to its focus on the SPen Stylus. There have been great improvements there as well. The pen fits snugly into the base of the device, sitting flush with the bottom, hidden from the world. Samsung designed a push button on the top of the pen, which serves to take the pen out of the device, and also feeds the innate ability to click the end of a pen. J

I look forward to providing more detailed thoughts on the device in the coming weeks.

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Thanks for reading

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.