cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Samsung Pay

Journeyman

In my last blog, I mentioned a feature called Samsung Pay. This is a brand new feature, never before seen on any Samsung device before. And wow!

does it have some cool tricks.

Lets start with the premise. Easy enough… You can now use your phone to pay for things at stores. (With approved cards.) you can store your credit or debit card’s information on your phone, which I know doesn’t sound like a good idea, but more on that in a minute. Once your information is entered into Samsung Pay, there is a verification process that takes a couple minutes to complete and voila! You can now use the card in your wallet, without ever taking it out of your pocket. Although, you’ll have to take your phone out instead. Judging by the number of people standing in line at the checkout with their faces in their phones this evening at my local HyVee, I don’t think that will hinder anyone’s use.

Now, lets look at a couple of the steps and technologies a little more in depth.

Security-

Samsung integrates its super safe and secure fingerprint feature right into the application. This allows you to pull up the card on the lock screen and initiate the pay sequence all with the touch of your unique fingerprint. Also, the app doesn’t actually store the card information, but instead uses tokenization to send the necessary information to the terminal. Which is why there is an extra verification process in the setup. And finally, the tokenization data is encrypted uniquely for each use, which makes it much more secure!

Technologies-

Samsung absolutely smashes the competition in this realm. Even though it just launched alongside two other widely available mobile pay services, Samsung’s use of technology allows it to be used in tens of thousands more locations than the other two. The other two services work by using Near Field Communication (NFC) which means it can only be used with retail terminals that have been upgraded to accept this type of transaction. True enough, NFC enabled terminals are popping up all over the U.S. at a decent rate. But you won’t have to travel far to find a retail outlet that doesn’t yet have NFC available. With Samsung Pay, you’re most-likely still in luck! That’s because they’ve included MST capabilities into the app! MST allows you to put your phone up to the magnetic stripe reader on the existing terminals (that place where you would normally swipe your card) and pay for your items! Now you can blow the cashier’s mind when you pay with your phone, even though they look at you crazily when you hold your phone up next to their old school terminal.

I’ve been using Samsung Pay for a while now, and its been great. There have been a few times when it was still in beta that it failed the first time, only to go through the second time around. As with all new technologies, I’m sure it will take time to iron out all of the kinks, but Samsung has a leg up on the competition with MST.

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Thanks for reading

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.