cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Samsung Pay on the Note5 is Pure Magic

Sprint Product Ambassador

samsung-pay-logo.png

At last!

The promise of effortless mobile payment that works pretty much everywhere has finally been realized with yesterday's launch of Samsung Pay.  Radically differentiated from the competition due to it's use of MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) technology, Samsung Pay works anywhere you can swipe a credit card and is not 100% reliant on NFC technology.  Basically what this means is that Samsung Pay works virtually anywhere you can swipe or tap your card. From the grocery store to the coffee shop to your favorite clothing store, Samsung Pay is the only mobile payment service that works at the majority of U.S. retail locations.

The other thing that I love about Samsung Pay is the ease of use which is something I have always worried about with mobile payment.  By the time you fire up your device and bring up the app, you might as well have gotten your wallet out and used your credit card. 

But not with Samsung Pay!

Once you have downloaded the Samsung Pay app and registered your credit card, simply swipe up from the home button (even if the home screen is locked) and your cards are there.  Simply authenticate with your fingerprint, touch your phone to a payment terminal, and you're good to go.

Let's take a took at some of the more popular FAQs around Samsung Pay..

(source: Samsung)

Which phones will support Samsung Pay?

Samsung Pay is supported on the Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ and Note 5. Please visit http://www.samsung.com/pay for a full list of          compatible phones.

Which cards can I add to Samsung Pay?

Samsung Pay works with American Express, Bank of America, Citibank, and US Bank with many more being added all of the time.

How do I confirm the last four digits of my card if asked by a cashier?

As part of their standard security process at checkout, cashiers at some retailers may ask you to confirm the last four digits of your

card number. In this case, do not provide the numbers shown on your physical card or the card shown in Samsung Pay.

Instead, tap on the card being used in Samsung Pay and look for the “Digital Card Number” displayed above your transaction history.

The four digits shown there are what you should provide to the cashier. It will always be a different number from your physical card.

Do I need to have an active internet connection for Samsung Pay to work?

An active internet connection is not required to make in-store purchases, but your phone should connect to the internet at least once

per day to ensure that Samsung Pay stays up to date and remains active.

There is a limit of 10 authentications/transactions during a period without internet access, after which your phone will need an internet

connection before additional authentications will process.

Samsung Pay does require an active internet connection to activate the app or add a new card.

Is Samsung Pay secure?

Samsung Pay uses Tokenization and Samsung KNOX to secure your payment information. Additionally, your fingerprint is required to

authorize in-store purchases.

What is Tokenization?

Samsung Pay uses network tokenization technology that replaces your real card details with a dynamic digital token that is transmitted

instead of your physical card’s number. So your transactions remain secure, and your shopping stays safe.

How is Samsung KNOX used with Samsung Pay?

Samsung KNOX scans to see if your phone is secure, and disables Samsung Pay if your phone is compromised in order to protect your

payment information.

Samsung Knox also includes a security design whereby highly sensitive operations and information, such as fingerprint and payment

information, are kept on a separate computer chip known as a “secure environment.” Normal applications or malware have no access to

the information inside it.

Does Samsung Pay store my personal/payment information on a server or my phone?

No, Samsung Pay does not store your personal/payment information on a Samsung server or on your phone.

Samsung Pay does not change the way your payment information is stored or handled when you make purchases. Your payment

information will continue to be managed by your card network and bank or financial institution.

Only a transaction-specific token, which is used to replace your sensitive payment information, is stored temporarily on your phone. It’s

stored only as long as it takes to confirm a transaction.

What should I do if my phone is lost or stolen?

If your phone is lost or stolen, you can use Samsung’s Find My Mobile service to find it. The cards and payment information on

Samsung Pay will remain safe and secure, but you also have the option of disabling cards remotely.

Does Samsung Pay have access to my bank accounts?

No, Samsung Pay does not have access to your bank accounts.

Will my Samsung Pay information still be on my phone if it is hard reset or formatted?

No. A hard reset of your phone or “restoring factory default settings” will delete all cards added to your phone.

What is the difference between MST and NFC technology?

With Samsung Pay, either NFC or MST technology can be used to make secure, contactless transactions. The key difference is that

NFC requires an NFC-enabled card reader (newer technology available at less than 10% of U.S. retailers) whereas MST works with many

more types of card readers. Because Samsung Pay incorporates both NFC and MST technologies, it works virtually anywhere you can

swipe or tap your card.*

Which is more secure, MST or NFC?

Actually, they both have the same level of security. That’s because payment information transmitted by MST and NFC is protected using

the same tokenization process.

How accurate is the fingerprint scanner?

The fingerprint scanner is very accurate. It has a “False-Acceptance Rate” of less than 0.00002%.

After several years of the promise of mobile payment, we seem to finally be at a place where this technology will become as commonplace as taking out your wallet or purse and Samsung Pay is undoubtedly moving the mobile payment ecosystem in the US forward.

Happy spending!

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer:

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee