cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Samsung Pay: Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

With the introduction of Google Wallet back in 2011, we have been using mobile payments for over 4 years now. Since then, there have been some newcomers into the mobile payment space...Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and now Android Pay which has taken over Google Wallet (Google Wallet is still around, but is used for purposes other than mobile payments).

The issue with mobile payment systems other than Samsung Pay is that they can only be used with NFC enabled POS terminals. The differentiator with Samsung Pay is that it works with NFC, EMV, and also works with MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission). This means that you can use Samsung Pay at most POS terminals, as almost all terminals have MST. Because of this, Samsung Pay is accepted at more places than any other mobile payment service. In fact, recent results have shown that 3 out of 4 Samsung Pay purchases are made using MST over NFC.

Another thing to note is security. Samsung Pay works with MST, NFC, and EMV, and uses digital tokenization, Samsung KNOX, and fingerprint authentication to provide secure payments.

samsung-pay-logo.png

Using Samsung Pay

To use Samsung Pay, you must have a compatible device. As of October 2015, current compatible devices are:

• Galaxy Note5
  • Galaxy S6 edge+
  • Galaxy S6 edge
  • Galaxy S6

You must have the Samsung Pay app installed: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.android.spay.

You must have a credit or debit card that is issued by one of the following: American Express, Bank of America, Citi, USbank, Synchrony Financial. Note: As of October 2015, these are the banks included. However, Samsung recently announced that they soon are partnering with Chase, PNC Bank, TD Bank, SunTrust, Fifth Third Bank, Key Bank, Silicon Valley Bank, Security Service Federal Credit Union, Navy Federal Credit Union, Virginia Credit Union, Associated Bank, Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union and People's United Bank. A partnership with Discover should be in 2016.

You also need a Samsung account (free), a registered fingerprint or Samsung Pay pin, and you need to physically be in the country of your participating bank.

Once you have all the needed items, you're good to go. When you are at a POS terminal, simply swipe up from the home button, or tap the Samsung Pay app icon. You will then authorize your payment by scanning your fingerprint on the home key. Next, simply hover your phone over the card reader and boom, you're done.

Here is a great video about Samsung Pay:

I have been using Samsung Pay for weeks now and works very well. In stores that I couldn't previously use mobile payments (due to stores in North Carolina being a bit behind the times and not having NFC terminals), I was able to use Samsung Pay flawlessly with those MST terminals. I am very impressed and highly recommend using Samsung Pay for your mobile payments.

To learn more about Samsung Pay, visit http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/.

Now that you're jazzed about Samsung Pay, you may need a device to go with it. I recommend checking out the Note5, available at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee #jruggiero #sprintproductambassadors