cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note5 Blog

0 Comments

As of late I haven't written about smartphone cameras largely because a vast majority of them are really good.  The experience isn't differentiated enough from device to device as manufactures have not only stepped up on the hardware side providing amazing photo quality capabilities but on the software side as well providing ease of use.  The Galaxy Note 5 is no different, the device includes a 16 megapixel camera with optical and digital image stabilization, fast autofocus, and a very intuitive options menu let's even novices navigate fun options like HDR, panoramic, and various selfie and effects modes.  I've decided to do this quick post because I got reminded of what I'm taking for granted on the Note 5.   For context I live in the Kansas City area and as I'm sure you are aware our Royals did the city proud and brought back a championship a long time in the making.   The celebration parade on 11/3 was something of the likes that I've never seen and probably never will again in my lifetime.  Any description of the sea of humanity that showed up at the celebration wouldn't do it justice, when you get a chance check out some of the aerial  pics of the parade and rally at Union Station.  The event was a nice reminder of the utility of the Note 5 camera, the mass of people kept my children and I from being front and center so the following pictures were taken by my 9 year old propped up on dad's shoulders.   Dad is proud of his little one's ability to get some great shots of players and the scenery, and if someone her age can capture great images like these so can you. Enjoy!

The madness.jpg

baseball2.jpg

Salvy.jpg

Hoz.jpg

and of course. . . .

Taylor2.jpg

Until Next Time-

The Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

It has been about 3 months give or take since Samsung launched its duo of devices for Fall of 2015. The Note 5 and the Galaxy S6 Edge +

I have had the privilege of using the Note 5 for a few weeks and I can say this is by far the best Note Samsung has built.

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Note-5-43.jpg

The new design language continued from the S6 launch earlier this year brings glass and metal to the table and amazing curves... anywho moving on

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/imgroot/news/15/07/s-pen-leak/-728x/gsmarena_001.jpg

The new S-Pen also bring about some new changes and updated software. Read my blog on it here

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/styles/large_wm_blw/public/article_images/2015/08/note-5-camera-modes.jpg?itok=qNsYgNYP

Finally, the camera on this baby is just marvelous. There are several tests, blogs and articles on its performance so I will not bore on the details. But I have found that this camera is by far the best one I have used. It is fast, takes bright, colorful pictures and sports 16 MP images and 4K video. Couldn't ask for more.

In the end, this device is an amazing work horse too. Taking notes during meetings and using the S Note app to take pictures of white boards and then able to edit them later is just what the doctor ordered. To date, this is my favorite smartphone.

Until next time

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Every year when Samsung launches the Note, they update the S Pen as well as the S Pen software. This year was no exception.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-5-vs-Note-4-9.jpg

The image above shows the Note 4 and Note 5 S-Pens. The major differences visually are that the Note 5 S-Pen has a push button so it is easy for the user to pull it out. This is new, something unorthodox as you would not want a moving or springy part in there however, that is OK. It does not seem to have any issues so far.

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/galaxy-note-5-vs-note-4-5.jpg

On the remainder part of the, the S-Pen seems thinner and smoother. However, in the new S-Pen, you CAN enter is backwards and it WILL get stuck. Something Samsung may have overlooked, but nonetheless.

On the software side Samsung incrementally tweaked the S-Suite of apps. The most obvious one in my opinion is option to add any apps/shortcuts to the Air Command menu when you click the S-Pen button. Besides this, the other tweaks are minor and nothing to write home about.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/styles/large_wm_brw/public/article_images/2015/08/galaxy-note-5-air-command-ui.jpg?itok=y2AhOYi0

So there you have it. The new S-Pen with the Note 5. Regardless of what anyone says, S-Pen and its suite of apps are the best stylus/software combo you can have on any smart device. Have a good one.

Until Next Time.

0 Comments

galaxynote5.png

Time flies when you are having fun with your Samsung Galaxy Note 5..... I am in my final week reviewing this phone and I would like to look at the camera. The Note 5 has a 16 MP rear facing camera and does a great job at taking pictures. I take a lot of pictures of my girls out playing and having fun along with the casual pose here in there. My Note 5 never let me down in capturing a picture of my girls playing....

Soccer.jpg

Here is an action shot without having to switch modes. I took this picture of my girls kicking the soccer ball around. I have seen many times a picture like this would be blurred.... I do wish it was not so windy out that day, although my girls were having fun and that is all that mattered. This was a really good outdoor shot and I have many more that are even better where my oldest stopped and asked me to take a picture....

Star Wars.jpg

The Note 5 does a great job at taking pictures indoors too... We visited Target and Katie asked to get here picture taken with Chewy, I mean how could I resist that. Samsung Galaxy Note 5 was able to take the picture full of color.... the nice thing is I did not even have to edit the picture to brighten it or anything. I have taken pictures with my Canon where I have to tweak it to lighten everything up. My Note 5 takes better pictures than my Canon camera...

Pumkin Patch.jpg

Another great picture taken with my Note 5 outside on a cloudy day. Once again the picture came out perfect and required no additional tweaking. I can crop this picture down and have on
e that is even better for the holidays...

galaxy-note5_logo_black.png

First thing I do when I receive a new phone to review is check out the camera settings for Grid Lines and turn it on if available. The Note 5 does have the option to turn on Grid Lines. The option to mute the shutter sound is also there by turning ringer volume off or down. The question some have asked me is would I recommend the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. I would most defiantly recommend the Note for several reasons from the camera to S Pen. I have used those two feature so much here lately I would probably be lost without them. I thought no microSD card option would be a problem, although I have 10GB left on my phone and move my pictures to the cloud.

WhiteNote5_600x600_bk.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 offers several camera features worth checking out:

• Cameras: 16 Mega-Pixel Rear facing Camera, 5 MP front facing. Smart Stabilization
  • LED flash
  • Eraser Shot: Remove unwanted background distractions in your photos and videos with just one touch.
  • Drama Shot: Capture a time-lapse event all in one frame.
  • Surround Shot, Beauty Face, Best Face, Burst Shot and Best Photo
  • Smart Stay: Uses facial recognition technology and the front facing camera to identify the users eyes.
    • Smart Stay detects the user is looking at the screen and keeps the display from timing out
  • Selfie
  • Low light sensor
  • Wide Angle Selfie

Visit a Sprint store and check out the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and the camera features it offers to see if it is the phone for you.

Thanks,

Blue

Your Sprint Product Ambassador team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

With the introduction of Google Wallet back in 2011, we have been using mobile payments for over 4 years now. Since then, there have been some newcomers into the mobile payment space...Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and now Android Pay which has taken over Google Wallet (Google Wallet is still around, but is used for purposes other than mobile payments).

The issue with mobile payment systems other than Samsung Pay is that they can only be used with NFC enabled POS terminals. The differentiator with Samsung Pay is that it works with NFC, EMV, and also works with MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission). This means that you can use Samsung Pay at most POS terminals, as almost all terminals have MST. Because of this, Samsung Pay is accepted at more places than any other mobile payment service. In fact, recent results have shown that 3 out of 4 Samsung Pay purchases are made using MST over NFC.

Another thing to note is security. Samsung Pay works with MST, NFC, and EMV, and uses digital tokenization, Samsung KNOX, and fingerprint authentication to provide secure payments.

samsung-pay-logo.png

Using Samsung Pay

To use Samsung Pay, you must have a compatible device. As of October 2015, current compatible devices are:

• Galaxy Note5
  • Galaxy S6 edge+
  • Galaxy S6 edge
  • Galaxy S6

You must have the Samsung Pay app installed: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.android.spay.

You must have a credit or debit card that is issued by one of the following: American Express, Bank of America, Citi, USbank, Synchrony Financial. Note: As of October 2015, these are the banks included. However, Samsung recently announced that they soon are partnering with Chase, PNC Bank, TD Bank, SunTrust, Fifth Third Bank, Key Bank, Silicon Valley Bank, Security Service Federal Credit Union, Navy Federal Credit Union, Virginia Credit Union, Associated Bank, Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union and People's United Bank. A partnership with Discover should be in 2016.

You also need a Samsung account (free), a registered fingerprint or Samsung Pay pin, and you need to physically be in the country of your participating bank.

Once you have all the needed items, you're good to go. When you are at a POS terminal, simply swipe up from the home button, or tap the Samsung Pay app icon. You will then authorize your payment by scanning your fingerprint on the home key. Next, simply hover your phone over the card reader and boom, you're done.

Here is a great video about Samsung Pay:

I have been using Samsung Pay for weeks now and works very well. In stores that I couldn't previously use mobile payments (due to stores in North Carolina being a bit behind the times and not having NFC terminals), I was able to use Samsung Pay flawlessly with those MST terminals. I am very impressed and highly recommend using Samsung Pay for your mobile payments.

To learn more about Samsung Pay, visit http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/.

Now that you're jazzed about Samsung Pay, you may need a device to go with it. I recommend checking out the Note5, available at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee #jruggiero #sprintproductambassadors

0 Comments

Samsung is good at trying new things that either have not been tried before, or to retry a great idea, but was probably ahead of its time back then (whenever that was). Samsung SideSync falls somewhere in that arena. So what is this side sync thingy?

Well, Samsung explains it as:

Using SideSync, you can conveniently share the screen and data between your PC and mobile device. Receive alarms of your phone through PC and use various features of your phone on the computer. Enjoy the smarter and more convenient life with SideSync.

SideSync | Samsung

So you heard it, you can share the screen of your mobile device on another, larger screen such as a PC. What Samsung may not have mentioned in that brief blurb on their site is that you can also use SideSync to share your screen between Samsung devices, such as your Samsung Note 5 and your Samsung Tab S2!

So screen sharing is pretty cool, but why would you do that? Or what real benefit would it offer in terms of productivity or otherwise? Lets discuss...

So you are wanting to watch a movie on this amazingly thin tablet but are expecting some important email from work (don't do this at work), but don't want to miss it. Also you don't have your work email setup on your tablet. Well, you install SideSync on both of your Samsung devices and sync your Note 5 (or similar Samsung device) with your Tab S2 and monitor the home screen of your phone directly on your tablet (see below):

Screenshot_2015-10-22-14-06-31.png

Isn't that awesome? You can not only monitor your home screen, you can also read and respond to your emails, directly from your tablet, without lifting your phone. But wait, I am watching a movie, and I don't want this huge window in the middle of the screen, that defeats the purpose of having a big screen in the palm of your hand! Well, just minimize it. There are 2 ways, check em out:

Screenshot_2015-10-22-14-08-04.png

Screenshot_2015-10-22-14-08-12.png

Alerts will still show up and you will stay informed. What else can you do with this sucker? Well lets explore. Besides notifications, you can also share files like you would on your PC with a USB drive. Drag and drop items as you see fit, and you are set. What else? Well we are sharing our screen, so who says you just have to watch it. Interact, work on it if you have to. This is a great tool if you have to present something from your phone/tablet to a PC connected to a projector.

As you can see, SideSync is a great productivity tool for both work and play!

A little tech speak. SideSync uses WiFi Direct (using WiFi between 2 devices directly) or with a PC you can also use a USB cord to tether directly with the device of choice.

So giddy up, get your SideSync on!

Until Next Time

0 Comments

I love that the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 has a built in Theme Store! I like changing the theme of my Note 5 to keep it looking fresh, fun and in tune with the seasons.

You can access the Samsung Theme Store by swiping down on your home screen and click the Settings icon. Themes are right there in Quick Settings at the top.

1-settings-themes.png

Samsung has included access to a Theme Store as part of the Samsung App Market for several of their newer devices. It wasn't that long ago that the Samsung Theme Store only had a handful of themes. Now the Theme Store has dozens and dozens of fun, new and fresh themes to choose from.

2-theme-store.png

Some themes are free and some cost up to as much as ~$4 depending on the developer. Most premium (paid) themes cost $1 - $2. The quality and detail that's gone into the premium themes is truly amazing. Check out some of the premium Halloween themes!

3-halloween-themes.png

There are plenty of free themes to choose from so don't sweat the cost. Once you find your theme click the Download button (it helps if you're on Wi-Fi). Once the theme has downloaded you can Apply it to your Note 5.

4-choose-download-theme.png

Most of the better themes include updated and color matched native app icons. The theme developer may use alternate graphics and colors for the native app icons, so you may no recognize them at first. Native app icons refer to the apps that are part of Samsung's Touch Wiz UI; Contacts, Calendar, Calculator, Email, Camera, et al. Once you apply a theme make sure you open up the app drawer and check out the new icons. Apps that are not part of the Samsung UI will not be "themed."

5-themed-icons.png

Have fun with the Samsung Theme Store and enjoy theming your Note 5. It's fun and keeps your device feeling and looking fresh and new season after season.

Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

In my last blog, I mentioned a feature called Samsung Pay. This is a brand new feature, never before seen on any Samsung device before. And wow!

does it have some cool tricks.

Lets start with the premise. Easy enough… You can now use your phone to pay for things at stores. (With approved cards.) you can store your credit or debit card’s information on your phone, which I know doesn’t sound like a good idea, but more on that in a minute. Once your information is entered into Samsung Pay, there is a verification process that takes a couple minutes to complete and voila! You can now use the card in your wallet, without ever taking it out of your pocket. Although, you’ll have to take your phone out instead. Judging by the number of people standing in line at the checkout with their faces in their phones this evening at my local HyVee, I don’t think that will hinder anyone’s use.

Now, lets look at a couple of the steps and technologies a little more in depth.

Security-

Samsung integrates its super safe and secure fingerprint feature right into the application. This allows you to pull up the card on the lock screen and initiate the pay sequence all with the touch of your unique fingerprint. Also, the app doesn’t actually store the card information, but instead uses tokenization to send the necessary information to the terminal. Which is why there is an extra verification process in the setup. And finally, the tokenization data is encrypted uniquely for each use, which makes it much more secure!

Technologies-

Samsung absolutely smashes the competition in this realm. Even though it just launched alongside two other widely available mobile pay services, Samsung’s use of technology allows it to be used in tens of thousands more locations than the other two. The other two services work by using Near Field Communication (NFC) which means it can only be used with retail terminals that have been upgraded to accept this type of transaction. True enough, NFC enabled terminals are popping up all over the U.S. at a decent rate. But you won’t have to travel far to find a retail outlet that doesn’t yet have NFC available. With Samsung Pay, you’re most-likely still in luck! That’s because they’ve included MST capabilities into the app! MST allows you to put your phone up to the magnetic stripe reader on the existing terminals (that place where you would normally swipe your card) and pay for your items! Now you can blow the cashier’s mind when you pay with your phone, even though they look at you crazily when you hold your phone up next to their old school terminal.

I’ve been using Samsung Pay for a while now, and its been great. There have been a few times when it was still in beta that it failed the first time, only to go through the second time around. As with all new technologies, I’m sure it will take time to iron out all of the kinks, but Samsung has a leg up on the competition with MST.

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Thanks for reading

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

The Galaxy Note 5 is a pretty phone. There's no denying it. In fact, it almost pains me to put a case on it and cover up its beauty. That is until I drop the phone... Then I am happy I have a case on it.

The thing is, one case doesn't always fit all use cases (bad pun... I know...)

This is why my phone is being protected by three things. The first line of defense is meant to protect the ultra strong screen from my ultra strong concrete drive way. It's a Otterbox Alpha Glass Screen Protector. It's a glass screen protector that takes any scratches that would normally get on the screen but also takes the abuse of falls. At least one of my buddies had their screen protector crack when the phone fell face down without the screen taking any actual damage.

The case itself, though, depends on what I am doing that day. If I am going to be somewhere where my phone will be getting bumps, bruises, and scrapes, I have an Otterbox Defender that I put on the phone. This thing is built like a tank. It even has its own screen protector on it, which I like because it means I don't have to clean the other glass screen protector of things like engine oil smudges when I'm done working on whatever it is I'm working on.

On most days, though, I sport a Spigen Neo Hybrid Crystal with the Satin Silver border as my daily driver. This is mostly due to the fact that I prefer smaller, more pocketable cases. This case adds a bit more traction to keep the phone in my hands while not adding too much bulk. The best part is that it's see through and so I can still see the beautiful phone under it. Another thing to note, the case has an (I'm assuming) unintended feature; whenever I use my Garmin Vivosmart's "find phone feature", the app makes the flash light on the phone flash and this causes the see through parts of the case light up around the edges. It's pretty cool.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Great battery life and gaming on a phone never really go hand in hand. Pushing out pixels, especially at high resolutions and frame rates will tax out the GPU which will, in turn, tax power consumption. Until a few days ago, there was nothing you could do if you wanted to run a nice high resolution phone for normal usage but lower the resolution on games.

Then Samsung came along and released something really interesting a few days ago:

Samsung Game Tuner

Samsung's Game Tuner gives you the ability to change the resolution and add a frame limit while playing games. You can even set the resolution and frame rate in a per game basis. This means that if you have a game you love to look at in its full graphical glory, you can keep it that way, while still lowering the resolution on the others.

Other than lowering the power draw and increasing your battery life when you're away from a charger, you also get much lower heat generation. Best of all, as time progresses and larger games come out, this app will extend the life of your Note 5 by allowing the GPU to cope with the higher demand by lowering the amount of work that the GPU has to do.

Here is a screen cap of the the low setting, which allows for increased battery life:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2015-10-19-14-58-06.png

The custom setting allows for resolution to be set on a per game basis:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2015-10-19-14-58-15.pnghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2015-10-19-15-00-38.pnghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2015-10-19-15-00-34.png

0 Comments

Everyone likes freebies right? Well Samsung was nice enough to work out some amazing deals with 3rd party vendors to bring together a bundle of application that can be passed along to the consumer for FREE. It's Samsung way of saying thank you for purchasing a galaxy device like the Note 5. The gifts being presents are available from an application called "Galaxy Gifts".  These applications are located within the Galaxy Apps store under the Exclusives heading option at the top and then click on "Galaxy Gifts",. Samsung gives you exclusive access with promotional options.

Here is a listing of a few of the applications with a breakdown of what you will get with each choice.

Artrage app icon

ArtRage

Paint and draw as you would on real paper with a toolbox packed with realistic painting tools such as oils and watercolors. Download for free.

Driver speedboat paradise app icon

Driver Speedboat Paradise

Take to the water with thrilling high-octane boat races through exotic locales with a free speedboat in the game.

The economist app icon

The Economist

Stay informed on international news from this weekly publication with a 6-month subscription (valued at $64).

Empire: four kingdoms app icon

Empire: Four Kingdoms

Build, trade and conquer in a world with millions of players. Raise your banners now with a starter package.

The guardian app icon

The Guardian

Get premium content from breaking news to commentary with an ad-free subscription for 6 months (valued at $24).

Hearthstone heroes of warcraft app icon

Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft

Jump into the action with 3 card packs and 1 exclusive card back for the hit strategy card game from Blizzard Entertainment.

Kindle for samsung app icon

Kindle for Samsung

Look forward to reading an ebook for free every month through Samsung Book Deals (valued at $50).

Komoot app icon

komoot

Go hiking or bicycling in the great outdoors with 3 regional bundles which include topographic maps, real-time navigation and more.

Lifesum app icon

Lifesum

Achieve your goals with 6-month free Gold subscription which includes personalized guides to dieting, exercise, and more.

New york times latest news app icon

NY Times - Latest News

Stay on top of the headlines with a 6-month subscription (3 months in the US and Canada).

Scribd app icon

Scribd

Get 3 months of unlimited access (valued at $27) to a library of 1 million ebooks and audiobooks.

Sketchbook for galaxy app icon

SketchBook for Galaxy

All features andbrushes are unlocked in this great app for anyone who loves to paint and draw. Available for free download.

Tripadvisor app icon

TripAdvisor

Take 15% off your total (up to $100) the next time you book a tour through TripAdvisor. Offer is valid for one purchase.

Onedrive app icon

OneDrive

Share files and photos across all your devices with an extra 100 GB of storage space for 2 years (valued at $48).

All of the applications seem to give some sort of advantage deal when you try them out. While most of the average users may not fully take advantage of all the savings the one item that stands out the most is the ability to gain STORAGE. Microsoft's Onedrive offer has to be the best value at of all the freebies. With limited storage on the device Microsoft's offer of 100GB adds even more value to your handset. No longer feel like you have to be conservative with your usage with a 100GB you can feel secure knowing you have enough space for whatever you need.

Disclaimer:
  The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

For each device I get to write about I try to focus on features I haven't experienced so you get a fresh perspective on usability from a newbie perspective.  The "new to me" features that I decided to take advantage of with the Note 5 was the embedded wireless charging capabilities.  I've had this feature in a couple of my previous Ambassador devices but wireless charging accessory prices kept me from seriously considering adoption, now that options are coming down in price the time felt right to try it out.   There are several great options out there and rather than get into a post about charging standards or tech I'll just talk about the option I picked, Spigen's wireless charging stand.

So Why Spigen

I'll readily admit I'm frugal, Dave Ramsey is one of my favorite people on the planet and I live by a pretty strict budget.  When introduced to market, as expected, wireless charging units were an investment so you had to really want to be a first adopter.  As time in market has matured prices have relaxed which are now enticing consumers like me.  Good units can be had for under $50 which is where the Spigen unit I purchased fell. The attractive price opened the door, the stand design closed the deal.   Puck designs are convenient but the stand design of the Spigen unit props the Note 5 up in a nice position to allow convenient content viewing.   The following are a couple of pics the show the angle you can expect and a user perspective of video content.

Stand angle.jpg

Content viewing.jpg

Charging experience

The convenience of wireless charging is very nice, the ability to simply set your device down and not have to mess with cords will spoil you.  Is there a catch vs. wired?  Well yes, you can expect a diminished charge rate from the fast charging cord unit that comes with the Note 5.   Keep in mind this particular unit isn't a fast wireless unit but choices in market are limited and more expensive than the Spigen unit.  So how much slower is the charge rate?   The wireless rate is less than half vs. the wired fast charger. . . ouch.   If that is a concern you might want to consider going with the faster units which have charge rates much closer to the wired solution.      Attaching a pic of the estimated full charge time for the Spigen wireless vs. wired connections.

wireless.png

wired.png

In all I really like the Spigen unit, if I find myself in a pinch and need to pick up a quick charge I unplug the wireless unit and plug the device in directly.   I've only had to do that once thus far when I didn't get to fully charge my device overnight.  The stand design complements the Note 5 extremely well by always putting the device in a position to enjoy the gorgeous display.  So my verdict is Spigen's solution is a keeper, one I'll use for future devices.  If you haven't given wireless charging a shot now is a good time, prices are reasonable and the technology is constantly improving.

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

Cases.PNG

One thing I do with every phone I review is put a case on it because I never know when I may drop it out of my truck or while I am walking. I have actually dropped my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 at least 3 or 4 times in the last 4 plus weeks I have had it. Each time i accidentally dropped it, my Note 5 was protected. The problem many have that I have spoken with about cases is that it takes away from the phone or makes it to bulky. I am going to review the Spigen Slim Armor and Otter Box Defender Series cases on my Note 5.

logo_marque_spigen_phone_area.png

I will start with my Spigen Slim Armor that is Certified Military Grade... the certification of this case by itself for Military Grade should speak for itself in protection. I do not want a case for protection alone though and that is one of the things I liked about the Spigen case. Spigen Slim Armor keeps the phone slim and trim with the bonus of a kickstand to watch movies on the 5.7" Quad HD Super AMOLED (2560x1440) touch screen. The kickstand is one of my favorite features of this case and why I prefer it. Plus it slides in and out of the pocket with no problem unlike some cases that are thicker. The only thing I would add is a screen protector to keep the phone from getting scratched up. I think my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 fell out of my hand twice and only thing that happened was my S Pen was ejected. All the ports are cut out very well for taking pictures, charging the phone and does not block any of the sensors.

Otterbox.png

Otter Box makes another great case for the Samsung Galaxy note 5 and I have been using it for the last two weeks. The Defender Series from Otter Box comes with belt clip holder and a screen protector. The case was very easy to install and protects the phone very well. Both the charging port and headphone port are protected and have to be opened in order to use them. One of things I think I have liked the best about the Otter Box case on my Note 5 is the screen protector. I noticed the two weeks I used my Spigen case the screen had some small scratches on it because it does not come with a screen protector. That is my fault from not ordering Galaxy Note 5 Screen Protector Crystal to keep my display scratch free. The Otter Box Defender Series comes with a screen protector and installs with the case. I had dropped my Note 5 with the Otter Box case on and picked it up with everything fully operations on my phone.

R1_Noble_PDP_S_Pen-b4.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is a beautiful phone and if you want to keep it that way, a case is needed. Both the Otter Box Defender and Spigen Slim Armor has protected my phone from those accidental drops. There is nothing like dropping your phone and not knowing what it will look like when you pick it up..... with these two case I do not have to worry about that. I will be switching back to my Spigen case soon as my Crystal glass protector arrives from Spigen.

Visit a Sprint store to see if the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is the next phone for you and while you are there check out the cases available from Otter Box or visit Spigen's website for the other case options they have.

Thanks for your time,

Blue

1 Comment

gears2.jpg

I recently picked up Samsung's fantastic Gear S2 smartwatch and am loving it.

I'm a smartwatch fan and have had several watches, most recently devices using Android Wear and I have to say that Samsung's choice of Tizen for the OS really makes all the difference in terms of capabilities.  There are certain things that Android Wear just can't do well yet and in my opinion has a long way to go until it's a compelling enough operating system for wearables so Samsung's customization of Tizen on the Gear 2 really helps close those gaps.

So what the heck does all of this have to do with the Note 5?

Well, one of the great things about the Gear S2 is that it does not need a Samsung phone to work and in fact will work on any Android device, but there's something about Samsung hardware working with Samsung hardware that just seems RIGHT.

Pairing the Gear S2 with the Note 5 was a breeze, and Samsung's new Gear Manager app that has been updated for the new watch is fantastic.  WAY more intuitive that it ever was with the original Gear S cuff, I mean watch .

Gearm1.png

Selecting Watch faces is easy and there are plenty of faces to choose from, especially the best kind (free).  I have found several great watch faces without paying extra, and in addition to the stock faces you will have no shortage of different looks for your new Gear S2.

Gearm2.png

In addition to faces, Gear Manager also has an easy way to pull down 3rd party apps that have been optimized for Gear devices, including several popular apps like Yelp, ESPN, CNN and others.  Don't worry, you'll have loads of apps to keep your eyes glued to the Gear S2's 1.2" AMOLED screen.  I joke but it's actually amazing how immersed you can get into your little watch face.  I find myself doing it and instead of hearing "why are you on your phone so much?!?" I now hear "why are you on your watch so much?!?"  Ah well.

gear store.png

Check out the Verge's review of the S2 for more info, and if you get one, make sure you try it out on the Note 5.  Those two seem to truly be made for each other!

Until next time,

0 Comments

Spen 1.PNG

I have been using the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 for several weeks and one of the features I am really enjoying is the S Pen with Action Memo. When you remove the S Pen, the Air Command apps are available. The one I use the most is Action Memo to take quick notes on the go or write down an address of somewhere I am going while on the phone.

Spen 2.PNG Spen 3.PNG

The Action Memo reminds me of Post-It notes I use in the office except with a lot more options, colors with the ability to edit them when needed. Plus, I can share an Action Memo if needed once I jotted everything down. Above is just one example of how Action Memo can be used with the S Pen. Once I am done with my S Pen I put it away. I can either save or just hit my home key to go back to my homepage. I prefer to just go back to the homepage without saving so that it leaves it note on my screen. This note will show up on my screen with any app I pull up on my phone as reminder.

Spen 4.PNG

Once I am done with the reminder I can either save or delete it. One of the options available through Air Command settings is Detach S Pen to turn on Air Command while screen is unlocked. This another nice feature that allows you to remove the S Pen and take a quick note without having to turn your screen on or unlocking your phone. Once the S Pen is paced back into the Note 5, the Note has been saved in S Note.

When I save an Action Memo it is saved in S Note for access later. The Note can be pined to your screen and will show everything written down which is why I use the other method of just clicking on the home screen button. This is how I have been using my S Pen the last couple of weeks. The Smart Select and Screen Write are two other options available I have played with, although I do not use them as much as Action memo.

Visit a Sprint store and check out the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 along with the S Pen features with Action Memo.

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

Protect your Note... or err your device, which ever that may be!

Anytime I showcase one of my devices, someone always complains about why protecting your device with heavy or bulky cases takes away from the beauty of the device. Well.. true to some extent, but what is the alternative? or consequence of not protecting your device?

More and more of our high end new devices are using premium materials, so yes they are more durable then their predecessors, or younger counterparts... perhaps. But we humans are also getting more and more demanding of our devices. When smartphones had launched they were limited to the "business" crowd (we are talking old Palm OS and Windows CE days). The use case was quite different and limited so incidents naturally were limited. Today however, our phones are used everywhere, and I mean everywhere, from dining tables to bathrooms and everywhere in the middle. "Naturally" the probability of your device will getting "hurt" goes up dramatically. So please, no more of this "it makes it look ugly" because what I am about to show you, will allow you to showcase your Note 5 in its full amazing glory.

Introducing is Spigen's Neo Hybrid Crystal line of cases. I have always admired Spigen's ingenuity around their cases and use their cases frequently. The Neo Hybrid cases are my favorite as they are not that big, just right yet they are very "protective" of your device. One thing I wished they brought out was a version of this case that was clear and guess what, they listened! The Crystal line is well clear and allows you to enjoy the aesthetics of your devices without compromising protection.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0808/0067/products/note5_nh_cr_title_eleblue_1024x1024.jpg?v=1439592013

It comes in 3 bumper colors. Blue, Gold and Silver... you can check them out here:

http://www.spigen.com/collections/galaxy-note-5/products/galaxy-note-5-case-neo-hybrid-crystal?varia...

This case is just amazing. The frame around the case gives that extra edge that keeps the screen off the surface when phone is upside down. It also covers the buttons which gives it an extra clicky feeling which I have come to appreciate. All in all it also does a great job protecting your device from accidental drops, etc. The case offers a Hard PC frame around the device, metal coated button covers in the frame and a nice soft grip without being slippery.

Note: no case can 100% protect your device from damage. The damage will depend on the case, and the incident that the device/case combo is trying to deal with

Anyway, I hope you also consider protecting your devices by using high quality cases from reputable companies such as Spigen.

Until next time

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee #jruggiero #sprintproductambassadors #spigen #note5

0 Comments

Let’s talk about screen protection. Scratched, or even worse, cracked screens are the last thing you want for your Note5. Fortunately, there is a solution to help keep your Note5 screen looking as new as it was when you unboxed it on day one.

OtterBox has something called Alpha Glass. Alpha Glass is a screen protector that is precisely cut to work with OtterBox cases, but will work with other cases too. Alpha glass has anti-shatter technology that guards your Note5 against scratches and scrapes.

sam38-galaxy-note-5-ah.jpg

There are two choices when it comes to Alpha Glass… Vibrant or Privacy. Privacy conceals your display from side views, and Vibrant provides a crystal clear touchscreen experience.

The Alpha Glass I have is the Vibrant version. It is extremely clear and does not detract from the brilliance of the Note5 display. Also, it is extremely reactive to touch and works wonderfully with the S-Pen.

Affixing this to the Note5 is very simple. One side of the Alpha Glass is somewhat sticky and the other side is smooth. Of course, you affix the sticky side to your Note5. Enclosed in the box are a screen cleaner and wipe cloth, as you want to ensure you device display is clean before you affix the Alpha Glass.

If you want to preserve the beauty of your Note5 screen, and prevent it from scratches and scrapes, be certain to check out the OtterBox Alpha Glass Screen Protector. If you don’t have a Note5 yet, you can purchase it at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee #jruggiero #sprintproductambassadors #spigen #note5

0 Comments

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Camera

As expected the Note 5 is packed with awesome features. From the latest touchwiz to the fingerprint sensor and even Samsung Pay (more on that later) the Note 5 is overflowing with the latest and greatest in Samsung’s software design. One of the best features about any Samsung phone is its camera. With the Samsung Galaxy Note 5, the camera is easily one of the best cameras out there on the Android market.

You can jump right into the camera by double tapping the home button from any screen. From there, you can choose from a multitude of camera settings and filters to capture the perfect photo. Specifically, there are 6 different picture sizes. I’m not one to mess with too many camera settings, simply because I couldn’t tell you what white balance does, or what the ISO setting does. But, if you’re so inclined, you can adjust any camera setting possible with just a couple clicks. For me, leaving the setting on auto, and maybe toggling the HDR or flash setting and I get some pretty great pictures.

My favorite thing about the camera however, is the video recording capabilities. I’m able to capture full HD video of course, but also 4K video! It takes up a ton of space, but its totally worth it! Another video feature I’ve been playing with is the slow motion and fast motion video modes. With the slow motion video capturing, you can take the video, and then choose which section of the video to slow down post-editing.  You can choose from 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 speed.

One feature with the camera that I haven’t yet explored, but I find incredibly fascinating is the live broadcast. Samsung has enabled the Note 5 to record hi-def video and live stream it directly to YouTube. If I had a YouTube channel or any opportunity to use this feature, I think I would really enjoy using my Note 5 to take advantage of the mobility.

Thanks for reading

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

When you get a device like the Samsung Galaxy Note5, you want to get a solid case to protect it against life’s mishaps. There are many cases from which to choose (a nice first world problem, indeed). I got my hands on the OtterBox Commuter Series Case for the Galaxy Note5, and here are my thoughts.

I enjoy cases that are slim and appealing, yet offer great protection for my device, and the OtterBox Commuter Series Case fits my needs well. The OtterBox Commuter Series Case is slim and has two layers. The inside layer is a rubber slipcover, and the exterior layer is a polycarbonate shell. The polycarbonate shell allows the device to slip easily in and out of your pockets. With the two case layers combined, the case protects extremely well against drops, dust, scratches, bumps, and more.

sam4-galaxy-note-5-byo-1617-1226-3.jpg

OtterBox has won numerous awards and is an extremely reputable brand, so you have peace of mind when you purchase an OtterBox case. When it comes to testing this case for protection, OtterBox conducted 29 tests and over 238 hours of testing, making certain that the case will withstand wear, tear, drops, and more. The tests include:

• UV Test
  • Camera Test
  • High Temp & Humidity Test
  • Cold Storage Test
  • Thermal Shock Test
  • Hand Lotion Resistance Test
  • Makeup Resistance Test
  • Jeans Pocket Test
  • Abrasion Test
  • Ambient Light Sensor Test
  • Proximity Sensor Test
  • Fingerprint Sensor Test
  • NFC Connectivity Test
  • Insertion Removal Test
  • Button Compatibility Test
  • Port Compatibility Test
  • Fit Test
  • Call Audio Test
  • Voice Command Recognition Test
  • Loudspeaker Test
  • Touchscreen Compatibility Test
  • Switch Compatibility Test
  • Purse Test
  • CaviWipe ® Test
  • Purell® Wipe Test
  • Rubbing Alcohol Test
  • Cross-Cut Adhesion Test
  • Sweat Test
  • Drop Test

Their Drop+ protection test is pretty impressive. Check out their video…

The OtterBox Commuter Series Case fits snuggly on the Note5. It provides easy access to all of your ports, buttons, and the S Pen, yet also covers any openings to protect against grime, dust, and dirt.

The OtterBox Commuter Series Case includes a self-adhesive screen protector, which prevents scratches to the display. In addition, the OtterBox Commuter Series Case comes in a variety of colors, so you can choose the perfect color combination that fits your style.

sam4-galaxy-note-5-byo-1617-1226.jpg

I am very impressed with the quality of this case, how lightweight and slim it is, and the protection it provides for the Note5. I highly recommend it.

So check out the OtterBox Commuter Case for your Galaxy Note5, and if you don’t have a Note5 yet, Sprint has you covered.

0 Comments

Samsung Galaxy Note V - Protect the Valuables

If you are a user like me, you like to protect your merchandise so that nothing with ever harm your precious jewel. I'm glad to inform you about 2 very great options that both keep your device protected but allow full use with minimal approach. Otterbox was gracious enough to allow me the honor to test out their Note 5 symmetry case along with the new Alpha Glass screen protector.

sam28-galaxy-note-5-20-3.jpg sam28-galaxy-note-5-20.jpg sam28-galaxy-note-5-20-5.jpg

The Note 5 Symmetry case is an all in one case design. It has an ultra-slim form fitting design. Otterbox created the symmetry design to be tough and yet have a small form factor. They did this through its honey-comb design etched into the creation of the case itself. This design creates a strong durable shell that can handle minor drops should one occur. Added into the design is a raised beveled edge. This creates a nice lip around the front of the screen which overall protects the touchscreen area.

PDP-No5-Sym-Highlight2-D.jpgcdp-pdp.png

Users can choose from 5 different color variations City Blue, Pink Pebble, Powder Purple, Glacier, and Black

sam28-galaxy-note-5-dt-2.jpg sam28-galaxy-note-5-dr-2.jpg sam28-galaxy-note-5-fz-2.jpg sam28-galaxy-note-5-j1-2.jpg sam28-galaxy-note-5-20-2.jpg

As an Added Bonus Otterbox has released its form of screen protector called the Alpha Glass. As the name implies this screen protector is a fortified glass protector. Cut to fit the Note 5. Some of the benefits of having a glass screen protector is it adds an extra layer of protection to your actual touchscreen without hindering the use of your screen. Otterbox's glass protector has pure clarity with no loss in tactile response. The glass is formed the same way your car windshield was designed. As an anti-shatter resistant the screen will take the brunt of a fall and will protect your actual screen.

sam38-galaxy-note-5-ah.jpg

I have witness this first hand that if a user drops their device and for that split instance your heart drops thinking your phone is lost think again. This screen protector will hold true and will protect your precious device. Simply peel off the cracked protector and place a new one on. These are by far the best creation for protection the mobile phones have seen. As additional advantage Otterbox has created their glass protectors to be able to be installed while you already have your Otterbox case on. No need to struggle removing a case only to have to put it back on. This screen protector was designed to be installed in conjunction with your case.

So remember if you looking for the simplistic yet strong protection look into getting the Otterbox Symmetry case but don't forget to protect that screen as well by adding on the Alpha Glass.

Disclaimer:
    The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

I received a complimentary OtterBox Alpha Glass accessory for my Note 5 in order to give an honest evaluation. My simple review: Pretty good product, but has a small flaw. Read on for more.

Sprint has been selling Otter Box accessories for years. You can buy Otter Box accessories in any Sprint retail store and online via Sprint.com. We sell Otter Box accessories for one major reason: Their products are well designed, attractive, work and function well. The Alpha Glass fortified glass screen protector is right in line with the rest of the Otter Box product line-up.

box.jpg

If you've never considered installing a fortified glass screen protector on your smartphone let me give you a few good reasons why you should.

• The screen protector is made of hardened, fortified glass. It's not plastic. It won't fade over time.
  • It takes a LOT to scratch it. And if it does scratch, it's cheap to replace and your Note 5 looks like new again.
  • It's easy to install. The kit comes with everything you need and easy instructions. But even better, just ask your Sprint retail associate to install it for you. Boom!
  • It actually strengthens your smartphone and provides better drop protection with minimal weight and almost no added bulk.
  • It works with almost all cases, even the ones with a plastic front glass cover (though it's redundant, so I'd opt to leave the plastic behind).
  • Most important: It has no effect on your touchscreen sensitivity or use.

Here's what you get with the Alpha Glass kit: Fortified glass screen protector, alcohol prep/cleaning pad, lint free microfiber cloth, instructions.

contents.jpg

I laid the Alpha Glass on the face of my Note 5 before peeling back the contact layer film as a "dry run." I wanted to see how the cut-outs lined up.

layout.jpg

Post installation, showing how the Home button / Fingerprint Scanner is still easily accessible, no issues.

bottomedge.jpg

I ALMOST goofed around the front-facing camera. I checked my selfie-cam after install; no camera issues, no glare, no shadows.

cameracutout.jpg

Here's the flaw: As you can see in the Home Button pic above, and below is a super-close-up, the Alpha Glass screen protector does NOT wrap down around the edges of the screen. It's hard to tell the touchscreen is curved at all until you install a screen protector (especially one made of glass). The Note 5 is such a precision device that Samsung designed the front-facing glass with a slight curve on each side. This was done to make the Note 5 feel good to hold in the hand (the degree of nuance, design and style changes that Samsung made in the Note 5 are nearly endless and almost mind-boggling). But as you can see, the Alpha Glass screen protector, which stretches edge-to-edge, isn't curved like the face of the Note 5. Thus, there's ~1mm of edge on each side where the Alpha Glass doesn't seal to the face perfectly. It doesn't impact the use of your touchscreen, and you still get the benefit of the strengthened screen. But I do expect a little dust to creep into that crevice. After installation I put my Note 5 back in it's case and you can hardly see those edges.

edge.jpg

All in all, I am pleased with the Otter Box Alpha Glass fortified glass screen protector. I've installed glass screen protectors from other vendors in the past and had worse results. Other vendors use adhesive that isn't nearly as pliable and smooth as that which is used by Otter Box, and it's easy to get air bubbles that don't "roll" out. Installing the Alpha Glass from Otter Box was certainly smooth and easy. Despite the little edges on each side, I still recommend getting an Otter Box Alpha Glass to strengthen your Note 5 and keep your device looking new for years to come.

Until next time,

0 Comments

As those who had ever read any of my blogs about cameras know, cameras are very important to me as a parent. Children grow up very quickly, if you blink, you may miss it. My oldest, a 2 year old toddler says the oddest things. These are things I love to capture. A few days ago, he was running around with a blanket over himself telling me that he was a "goat". I'm assuming he meant ghost, although I'm not sure where he would have gotten that since he's never seen a ghost in any TV or movie that I can recall. Kids pick up the oddest things from the oddest places.

My youngest, on the other hand was just born a few short days ago. Well, she'll be two weeks in just two short days. We didn't want to bring a dedicated camera to the hospital because we didn't want to worry about batteries, whether the camera was ready when needed, etc.

Luckily, I had my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 on me the whole time; we were covered. I took some great pictures, even in the very low lighting of the room. In fact, the quality of the pictures almost rivals my admittedly very expensive dedicated camera. The shutter was lightning fast which meant I did not miss out on anything and because I brought my fast charger, I just made sure to plug it in right before the pushing began. I had more than enough battery life to make it through the pushing and then some.

Now, I won't post too many pictures of what I'm describing as it was a bit too intimate to be shared with the world, but I'll leave you with this picture of my little angel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/20150930_210127.jpg

0 Comments

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 now has a feature that allows your to take scrolling screen captures. It works similarly to panorama pictures; you take a screenshot of something that can be scrolled, like a web page, then tell the Note 5 that you want to perform a scrolling screen capture. The Note 5 will automatically scroll however many pixels it needs to to do a perfect screen capture that can be stitched to the original capture. You can continue to do this as far down as needed and the Note 5 automatically stitches it all together.

In the end you end up with something that looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2015-10-01-16-51-33.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to resize the large image to get it uploaded, so I'm unable to show off the image at its full resolution.

Needless to say that this type of screen capturing is not limited to browser screen grabs. It works with anything that can be scrolled through. Here is an extended screenshot of the Note 5's main settings, for example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/tempFileForShare_2015-10-01-17-29-26.jpg

Couple this with the Samsung Galaxy Note 5's ability to write on your screen capture and you can start sharing some interesting things. It's especially useful to people like me when sharing notes on things like web site designs.

For those wondering how it's done:

0 Comments

I received a case from Spigen in order to give an honest evaluation of their products. My simple review: Nearly perfect case.

I received an Ultra Hybrid "Crystal" (clear) case from Spigen for Note 5. Had I not received this case I certainly would have purchased this case or a similar case, as the Note 5 is beautiful, well designed with style and class that begs to be shown off. But let's face it, sometimes life is hard on smartphones. So we have to protect them to keep their beauty.

I am not a fan of the bulky, "armored" cases that makes every smartphone look like a mobile Hummer. I much prefer thinner, light, simple on/off cases that offer good protection where it counts (corners) yet doesn't hide the style, materials or design intended to be seen by Samsung. The Spigen Ultra Hybrid is nearly a perfect match for me.

The Ultra Hybrid is thin, flexible, easy on/off and great corner bump protection. The cut-outs for the camera, S Pen and various mic holes are spot-on. Plus, the port cut-outs are generous enough to accommodate 3rd party accessory charge cables and headphone jacks from any headphones or earbuds. The buttons areas have a nice relief, allowing them easy operation of the actual device buttons that lay underneath. Plus there's a nice tactile labeling to each button (power/sleep, vol +, vol -) so you can feel when your fingers or thumb or resting on a button without having to look.

I've already dropped my Note 5 once on concrete and it came up unscathed. Whew! Thanks Spigen!  Sadly, we don't sell Spigen cases in our Sprint stores or on Sprint.com. You can buy Spigen cases directly from Spigen or many of the common online stores. The come in a variety of styles and colors to fit any taste and need.

Here are some photos of my Spigen case after a few weeks of wear on my Note 5.

front.jpg

back.jpg

ports.jpg

profile.jpg

Remember, Note 5 owners, the N5 is really beautiful and really strong, but it's not unbreakable. You have to give it some good protection. Spigen is a great choice.

Until next time,

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

Samsung_Galaxy_Note_5.png

I like to customize my phones to how I like to view things and remove things I do not use. Some things cannot be removed, although we can disable or toggle them off. One of the items I have not had mush use for the last couple of weeks is Briefing. It cannot be removed from one of your screens, although you can toggle it off.

Capture.PNG

The steps to toggle Briefing off is very easy.

1. Long press on your screen
  2. Scroll to the right till you see the Briefing screen.
  3. Uncheck the box on the Briefing tab
  4. Touch your home screen button and your done...

The steps are quick, easy and fast. Now I do not scroll to this screen in error. Briefing can be added back by repeating the steps above and checking the box to re-enable Briefing screen on your phone.

Check out the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 at a Sprint store to see the various other options available for customizing the phone.

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

FitnessCase.jpg

The weather is finally starting to cool off here in Georgia which means I will be able to do a lot more running outdoors. There is something very stress relieving about running to new locations and pushing myself further than that last time. I always use Endomondo so I carry my phone with me while I run. I have armbands that fit almost any size device, but recently I have been carrying my phone in my hand because I find it easier to get to the phone without the plastic cover that most jogging cases have. With the Note 5 it is pretty hard to hold it while running without fear of dropping it. The phone is extremely thin, even with a case on it. It is also a bigger device so it can become uncomfortable. I decided after my first run with it that I needed to put it in an armband case. I pulled out one of my old cases and proceeded to use it the next day. Overall it did a good job of keeping the phone in place, but the plastic cover sometimes made it hard to pause the workout or change songs.

I decided that I was going to look for a new case to see if I could get a better fit for the phone. The first one that popped up on my search was the SUPCASE armband. Instead of having a plastic cover over the front of the phone, it just has a rubber outline that you can slip on your phone. This was exactly what I was looking for. After reading the reviews I decided to buy one and it arrived a few days ago. The Note 5 fits perfectly in the case and it allows the screen to be uncovered. Some of the reviewers thought this was not a good thing, because the rubber could stretch out and the phone could go flying. In my very limited time with it, I can say that is not a problem I think about. Over time if it stretches out I will just buy another case because they are very affordable. The first two runs that I have done with it have been awesome and I can honestly say it’s the best running case I have ever used for a phone. I probably would not recommend the case for lifting weights around the gym because it does have the open front which could get scratched on the equipment. If you are in to running and have the Note 5, do yourself a big favor and pick up the SUPCASE.

*Picture from Amazon.Com

0 Comments

One of most conflicting issues I have with new phones is whether or not to put a case on it. I thoroughly enjoy using a phone without a case, showing off the meticulous design to the world. When it comes to the Samsung Galaxy Note 5, the struggle is immense. The phone is beautiful, and the edges and curves are deserve to be showcased to anyone looking. Alas, Samsung’s decision to make the body out of glass means I will definitely need some strong protection for my lovely device. I can’t take a risk of shattering either side of my device.

Thankfully, I have received two cases to try out: The Spigen Slim Armor, and the Otterbox Defender.

First, the Spigen case is one of my favorite line of cases. I’ve had multiple instances of the Slim Armor line for other phones, and every time I love everything about this case! The same holds true for the Galaxy Note 5 version. Spigen offers the case in Champagne, Violet, Gunmetal, and Metal Slate. One of my favorite things about the Spigen Slim Armor is how well it fits the device. With some of the cases I’ve tried, you can tell precision was not the main goal. With every Spigen case I’ve used, the fit has been perfect. As its name suggests, the Slim Armor balances protection and comfort which doesn’t add a lot of bulk to the phone but keeps your device from shattering every time it falls out of your lap! The Spigen Slim Armor also sports a kickstand, which is perfect for the Quad HD screen of the Note 5. Now I can watch my soccer games hands-free.

On the other hand, the Otterbox Defender lives up to its name as well. There doesn’t seem to be anything that can penetrate this case! The Otterbox brand is known for its protection offered by its cases. The Defender is made up of three separate pieces that helps protect your device. The hard shell (which actually comes as two pieces) snap together around the Note 5 covering both the front and back of the device.  Then a padded rubber-like skin fits around the hard shell, and offers another layer of protection against drops. There is another piece that helps prevent drops, but its not as popular to use in my experience. The belt clip. Thankfully Otterbox has made this piece separate therefore optional!

My personal preference is the Spigen case. I’m not particularly hard on devices and tend not to drop them often (knocks on wood!) The Spigen case offers the protection I require and gives me that extra kick(stand) that really sets it apart. However, my wife is EXTRA hard on phones. It seems like every phone she touches ends up with a cracked screen or a chipped corner. She DEFINITELY needs the extra protection of the Otterbox Defender.

Thanks for reading

0 Comments

The camera on the Galaxy Note 5 is one of the best cameras that I have used on a smartphone. I really like how Samsung toned down the options the camera has out of the box, but they still allow you to download additional features if you want to use them. A few years ago when you clicked on the camera options it was overwhelming so I never really tired out the features. I still tend to use the automatic mode the most often because it really takes great pictures. Nothing can replace a good quality non-phone camera, but the Note 5 comes pretty close. Here are some random pictures I captured so far:

cat.jpgField.jpg

Football2.jpgPic1.jpg

0 Comments

Capture.JPG

That's right!

While supplies last, Samsung will give you a free wallet flip case for the Galaxy Note5 or Galaxy S6 Edge+ just for adding a credit card to Samsung Pay.

As we told you earlier today, Samsung Pay on the Note5 is "pure magic" and the best mobile payment solution we have seen come to market to date.

The promotion runs through October 11th.

Here's how it works:

1. HOW TO PARTICIPATE: 
    1. Activate the Samsung Pay app on your Qualifying Device with your Samsung Account ID through a participating carrier.
    2. After you activate the Samsung Pay app, a ?pop up? notification message will appear in the Samsung Pay app with instructions on how to participate in the Offer.
    3. Then you will be directed to a page where you can register a qualifying card with Samsung Pay.  Not all credit or debit cards are compatible with Samsung Pay.  Your card must be compatible with Samsung Pay in order for you to register it with Samsung Pay and qualify for this Offer.
    4. After your qualifying card is registered successfully with Samsung Pay, you must click on ?Announcements? in the ?More? menu in the Samsung Pay app. Then click on ?Samsung Pay Activation Offer? on the ?Announcements? page, agree to participate in the Offer and agree to these Terms and Conditions and the ?Privacy Notice for Samsung Pay Activation Offer.? Then you will receive a unique code that may be redeemed on Samsung.com for your Activation Gift (as defined below).

Your ?Activation Gift? consists of either: (1) a free regular (i.e., not fast charge) wireless charging pad (valued at $49.99) (SKU ET-PG920WCSAM1) or (2) a free wallet flip cover for either a Galaxy Note5 or Galaxy S6 edge+ (valued at $34.99) (SKU EF-WG928PBEGUS or SKU EF-WN920PBEGUS). You will not be able to select the color of your Activation Gift.  The unique code must be redeemed on Samsung.com before November 15, 2015, or while supplies last, whichever occurs first.

We HIGHLY recommend that you order your "activation prize" though the phone vs Samsung's website as it seems that if you order on the web, the items may show out of stock vs on the phone where it shows as a "pre-order".

So hurry up and get your awesome Samsung freebies while you can, and while you're at it, give Samsung Pay a whirl.  You'll be glad you did.

Until next time,

Disclaimer:

0 Comments

design.JPG

It's a fact: people love well designed products.

Whether it's a BMW or a Dyson, smart design matters, not only in form but also in functionality.  Not to say looks don't matter, they certainly do, especially something that represents the owner's style like a mobile phone.

Long chided for "cheap feeling" phones, Samsung went back to the drawing board for this year's flagship device series, eschewing the plastics of old for premium metal and glass.  Plastic, while lightweight, does not afford the user a feeling of luxury and Samsung heard this loud and clear after many reviews saying that Samsung phones had everything a user could want, they just didn't seem very NICE.  Now, more reliant then ever on Samsung Design America (creators of the Level series headphones, the Gear S and the Gear Fit), Samsung now is leading with a design first mentality wherever possible and this is again reflected in the gorgeous Galaxy Note 5.

From the subtle curves on the back to the brand new S-Pen, the Note 5 oozes quality.  It's not just the outside either.  Samsung's Touchwiz UX has been radically simplified, something you may have seen in the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge.  Needlessly confusing features were removed and menus made flatter to emphasize a simpler and more cohesive software story.

And amazingly, they've somehow fit the same display as as last year's Note 4 into a smaller chassis!

design 2.JPG

All in all the Note 5 is a home run for Samsung and is being widely touted as the undisputed "king of the phablets", a category it singlehandledly created.  Kudos to Samsung for listening to it's customers and creating a device that is this good.

Here's hoping they continue to marry design with function in a cohesive way for their future products.  We can't wait to see what's next.

Until next time,

Disclaimer: