cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Shutter Sounds

Journeyman

Camera Shutter Sounds

My previous Sprint Note 3 and 4 had a setting to silence the camera shutter sound.

My two friends Note 5's on ATT and T Mobile have this setting.

My Sprint Note 5 doesn't. Did Sprint have this removed and if so WHY???

13 REPLIES 13
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Camera Shutter Sounds

The Samsung Note 5 shutter sound can be silenced the same as the Note 4 & 3 by turning the volume off. That is how it was on my Note 4 and I had someone test it on Note 5 to validate.

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Actually, my Noe 4, non rooted, 5.1.1, had a specific setting under the camera menu to turn off the shutter sounds.

The ATT and TM Note 5 phones have this. It does not appear in the Sprint camera menu.

Wizard

jf1957 wrote:

My previous Sprint Note 3 and 4 had a setting to silence the camera shutter sound.

My two friends Note 5's on ATT and T Mobile have this setting.

My Sprint Note 5 doesn't. Did Sprint have this removed and if so WHY???

As the story goes, and I can't find the press release link anymore, Sprint was "leading the charge" on forcing camera shutters to make noise as this bill was making its way through the US Congress as an anti-creeper bill.  The bill was dropped and hasn't been taken back up.  However, Sprint STILL requires that phones not have a silence-able shutter sound on their phones*.  This is different from other carriers as the option is there, as you've pointed out.  Actually its a very simple build.prop fix to bring the toggle to the Sprint variant, but that requires root.  Tisk, tisk.

* - is the iPhone on which the toggle still exists.  It's the lamest thing ever, but hey, at least you can turn the volume down to get it to silence, which wasn't the case for a while on sprint phones like the Epic 4G Touch and also, the shutter sound is not as jarring.

GrandMaster

oddly enough this isnt on all the phones though. im able to silence my M9 through settings just fine. it always seems to be on the Sammy line where this is ran into.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

Good to know.  I thought only Apple was Above The Law™

GrandMaster

my M7 was the same way..i was able to silence it in settings. every time i have come across this subject its always been with a Sammy device..i think one HTC phone ran into this but i cant remember which one.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

fireguy_6364 wrote:

my M7 was the same way..i was able to silence it in settings. every time i have come across this subject its always been with a Sammy device..i think one HTC phone ran into this but i cant remember which one.

Definitely the Evo couldn't be silenced.  That was my last HTC device! 

This Note 5 though is amazing.  Glad I made the switch!

GrandMaster

i just cant get a grip on the Sammy line..im so used to HTC that even jumping to the Flex2 was a bit of a debacle for me lol..which oddly enough the settings menu and how it all works is almost identical to the Sammy  line.

Master

if your phone sound is turned off, you will not hear a shutter sound ( at least it works on my Note 4)

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
GrandMaster

im able to shut down the shutter sounds in the camera settings on my M9.

Master

Not Samsung. They took that capability long time ago.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat