cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device times out too quickly

Go to solution
Journeyman

Device times out too quickly

Sometimes when I press the power button to get to the lock screen it will go dark after a few seconds. Any way to make sure this doesn't happen?

Also there is this zoom out animation on the lock screen. How do I shut that off? The setting in wallpapers doesn't work.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Device times out too quickly

Just wondering what kind of phone it is. Is there a brand and model number on the phone, the phone's box or perhaps on a sticker behind the battery?

Journeyman

?? Samsung Galaxy Note5 64gb version

Journeyman

Ok, I have not tried the Galaxy Note 5 yet, but I have had a 2 and a 4.

If I remember right Samsung has a lot of features that try to make the phone react to movements and actions.

I found the manual here http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201508/20150821022950390/SPT_SM-N920P_Galaxy-Note_5_EN_...

In the manual it speaks of a feature called Smart Stay:

"Smart stay -Set the phone display to stay on for as long as you are looking at it."

I would suggest turning that off to see if the behavior improves and then turning it back on again.

The manual says it is located here:

Access Display Settings 1. From home, tap Apps > Settings > Display

Then I would make sure I had the screen Timeout set to a longer time frame.

Sprint Product Ambassador

I haven't been able to find direct settings on the lock screen timeout as well, as one of the previous posts mentions if you have the Smart Stay feature enabled and you are looking at the lock screen it won't hibernate but but if you are off angle it will hibernate in a couple of seconds.   Interesting use case, can I ask why you need your lock screen to stay on?  I'm betting that Samsung didn't anticipate the need for longer lock screen time outs and shorten the time to reduce battery impact.  

Journeyman

I think this happened after I changed the lock screen from entering a pin number to using the fingerprint scanner.

I'll turn on the device and sometimes it will shut down before I have a chance to get my finger on the scanner. It's just annoying.

I have my display screen timeout time set for 5 minutes and I've changed smart stay(on/off) with no difference.

I thought it might be something with the power saving mode, but I checked that and I don't notice a difference.

Another issue is when you do turn on the phone and it does the zoom out animation. I'd like to shut that off. Is that possible? There is a setting for wallpaper motion effect. On or off, but that does not work. Wondering if it's a bug or if my phone is broken .

I don't have good news here either, I tried turning off the "Wallpaper motion effect" setting in the "Wallpaper" settings menu and it doesn't apply to the lock screen wallpaper.  Within the wallpaper settings you have the option to turn it off when "home screen" is selected in the top left hand corner drop down list but not when "lock screen" is selected.  Appears to be intentional UI design by Samsung. 

Highlighted

No, there is not a specific setting for the screen timeout prior to unlocking. I guess Samsung wants us to activate the screen a little closer to the time when you're ready to unlock.

Thanks for being a Sprint customer!

Sprint employee

CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.

The lock screen wallpaper "zooming" effect issue is "by design."

Go to Settings > Wallpaper > (choose "Lock screen" from drop-down) > Choose one of the OEM wallpapers as your lock screen wallpaper. No zooming.

If you choose your own picture from the Gallery (or any other source) the graphic must be EXACTLY 2560 x 1440 pixel resolution. Otherwise, upon launching the lock screen wallpaper, the Note 5 will zoom in or out depending on whether the graphic too short/wide or too tall/narrow to fill the screen completely.

Sprint employee

CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat