cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New note 5, terrible battery life and lots of little issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

New note 5, terrible battery life and lots of little issues.

Got a new note 5 for Christmas, but the battery drains incredibly fast. A couple hours of steady use or maybe 8 hours with light use.

Other smaller issues too. Screen rotation doesn't work,  "ok, Google" brings up a 'mic can't open' error.

Is this a known issue with a fix,  or do I need to return it?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Alot of things could be causing you these issues my suggestion is to do a factory reset and don't down load any apps only update the apps pre installed on your device once that is complete disable / delete any stock apps you don't need or use and see if that helps

If that Don't help try using the power saving options NOT Ultra proper saving

If that still don't work find a standard samsung charger ( a non fast charging charger )

Example I don't use my fast charger unless it's a emergency. I use my samsung galaxy s4 charger

I get about 1 day to 1 day 8 hours with 6 to 7 hours sot

Also at anytime during these steps your battery seems to be improving that means you had a aggressive app on your device

Oh make sure you disable Facebook and Facebook messenger for sure they are known for being BIG TIME battery hogs

Use mobile site if you do use Facebook

Highlighted
Wizard

mastofthegame wrote:

Got a new note 5 for Christmas, but the battery drains incredibly fast. A couple hours of steady use or maybe 8 hours with light use.

Other smaller issues too. Screen rotation doesn't work,  "ok, Google" brings up a 'mic can't open' error.

Is this a known issue with a fix,  or do I need to return it?

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up. All these things are abnormal for sure. There's no need to not use any third party apps, what's the fun in that?!

#1. before you go factory resetting your device, clear the cache partition through the phone recovery. Details and instructions can be found here: http://goo.gl/7G1Cct I tend to do this action once a week or if something odd starts happening like rapid battery drain. This should be your first line of defense always before you factory reset. Also, go into your phone settings -> Storage -> Cached Data and wipe that out as well.  Apps can cache a bunch of data that you don't need anymore.

#2. Facebook IS a battery killer, that is well known.  If that is killing your phone, you can use the browser version of that as mentioned above.  That might help.

#3. Disable S Voice application completely.  It interferes with the Google Now voice actions.  It likely is the cause of the mic issue.  In fact, I disable all Samsung apps that I possibly can immediately upon setting up my phone.  They're all garbage and a waste of space.

#4. Screen rotation is a toggle in the extended notification shade toggle.  Make sure that it is enabled up there first. This is a VERY common oversight by many people.  I get calls about this from my parents all the time.  They will have inadvertently turned it off.  You can organize those toggles as you see fit, I recommend hiding all the ones you might accidentally turn off, like location, screen rotation, etc.

#5. You should just do this anyways, enable developer mode and turn the animation speeds to 0.5x.  Makes the fast phone seem even faster. Speed up your Android by adjusting animation settings - CNET

#6. NEVER fear using the fast chargers.  In fact, litter your life with fast chargers, they're the best and is the greatest thing about this phone.  Fast chargers and wireless chargers are the bees knees.

I guarantee you these things will help you immensely with your phone.  If all else fails, do a factory reset and then do the above.  IF that fails, then just return to the store to swap it out.  IF THAT FAILS, then get a flip phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for basically re writing what I wrote lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

Fast charging is still a big debate and as for me I get better battery with standard charging then fast charging. . Fast charging I only get about 20 hours ish with 4 hours sot

Standard 1 day to 1 day 8 hours 6 to 7 hours sot.. without the help of wifi

Highlighted
Journeyman

Fast charging should not be affecting the total storage capacity of the battery (in the context of *that* charge).  It can cause the battery to "wear" faster, but should not affect the usage time immediately after charging.  I would suspect that the differences you're seeing are cause by other factors (cell reception, wifi, etc) and it's a coincidence that you used one charging method or the other previously.

Highlighted
Master

I do use fast charging every night and I see no issues with the battery.

I have the power saving on all the time and never worried about turning any apps off. I have wifi, location, screen rotation, BT (for my gear S) always on. I'm running outlook app with active sync always on.

My phone goes off the charger at 7am and back to charger at 11pm and I still have about 30-46% battery left.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
GrandMaster

i use a fast charger on my M9 as well and havent seen any affects of it. i run my phone like a demon daily and im still averaging the same amount of burn time on my battery as i usually do prior to getting the quick charge set up.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat