cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 5 Nougat Update

Journeyman

Note 5 Nougat Update

As much as I love my Note 5 and have been very pleased with Sprint service for the most part, why is the Nougat update taking so long.  With Android O alread anounced and the 7.1.2 update rolling out to google devices it makes the 7.0 update almost useless considering with current and new phone releases on the way it seems like i would be better off buying a new device to get the android 7.0 update.  It almost seems like sprint and samsung are trying to push people away from their devices and services.  It would almost be easier to wait if they could at least give me a date as to when the update will roll out to my device, but considering the cost of the phone and it being advertised as THE powerhouse flagship device from samsung this has become a HUGE letdown to sprint customers.  Also considering the last major update for my device was delayed in very much the same way it has become very much easier to consider switiching to another carrier as well as switching which device brand i buy. 

12 REPLIES 12
Sprint Social Care

Re: Note 5 Nougat Update

Good morning Ehenrywv.

We completely understand where you are coming from. However, While the update is slowly rolling out, Samsung hasn’t provided details on when carrier devices can expect to see Nougat. Unlocked devices will be getting the update first. We will have to be a little patient and wait for the update to be approved first.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Master

Carrier updates have always taken a long time. There are allot more hurdles involved before Google gives their stamp of approval on the changes the OEM's and carriers have come up with. Typically, as you have noticed already, carrier updates are usually a version behind before they get put out.

On the plus side, more times then not, Sprint has been first of all the carriers in releasing updates. So you have that going for you.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

add on to @smotrs post. name a carrier that you believe kicks out the updates quickly. i can tell you that none of them are fast when it comes to OS update releases. they are ALL kicking them out roughly at the same time (give or take a coupe weeks depending on what they run into with their versions). if you want prompt updates you would be better off going with a non carrier branded device like the Nexus line or pure Google since they get it directly from Google.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

The update ruined my phone! My texting is now primative doesnt show notifications. It drains my battery, it hasnt even been a day and Im alreqdy fed up and so upset.
Sprint Social Care

VCK5735, Were you able to restart the device after the update? If so, do you still experiencing the same inconvenience? What is the make/model of your device?

Kryshna

Sprint Social Care Team

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Samsung Note 5 , yes went to best buy had tech do flash reset, i rebooted and even shut off and powered back some stupid issue.
Sprint Social Care

VCK5735, When you downloaded the software of the device, did you make sure of having a good Wi-Fi connection? I would like to verify any other options you may have. Can you please send us a private message? Just click on my name and then select "send a message" for further assistance.

Kryshna

Sprint Social Care Team

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
GrandMaster

the tech flashed the update onto your phone or they did a factory reset?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Before this latest update, I had a rock solid device. My Note 5 has never failed me, until now. After this latest update, my phone has turned really crappy. My issues are now the following:

Swiping the screen is not as accurate as it used to be. When unlocking the screen, it stops halfway requiring a second swipe.

My bluetooth connects in my car, and I am able to turn on and off as needed if I prefer the phone to my ear. This morning while in the car, I turned off the bluetooth button on the call screen and it had absolutely no effect. The call stayed on bluetooth although the icon indicated it was off. Pressing multiple times had no effect.

Screen stays on during calls. Before the update, my phone would go dark while on bluetooth or headphones and on a call. Post-update, the screen stays lit. After the timeout which I have reduced to 30 seconds, the phone goes dark and lights right back up. This happens consistently. Doesn't matter if I turn the phone face down. I tried cleaning off the sensors to no avail. This did not happen before the update.

Now when using wired headphones on a call and my charger is plugged in, It now makes a weird buzzing noise. This absolutely never happened before the update.

Contact pictures for incoming calls once were the top half of the screen, are now reduced to small bubbles. No setting to change this.

I won't even mention the muted colors that are now in messages. The interface now looks so drab.

The functionality and great usability of my phone has been stolen and have been replaced with this crappy interface and buggy software. I have been with Sprint over 10 years. This experience makes me want to try one of the other competing phones, with a new carrier behind it as well.

GrandMaster

for the majority of your issues start with a partition/cache wipe on your device then retest everything. odds are you will more than likely need to back up the phone and perform a factory reset on it but stuart with the first wipe first in case that fixes it. as for the muted colors i recommend not going back to an android device then since that came in with Nougat..which came from Google.
Journeyman

I don't what partition/cache wipe means.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat