Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 5 sim card error

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Note 5 sim card error

Anyone else getting an invalid sim card error n a restart? Started happening again after a few weeks. Could it just be a bad sim card?

44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am on my 5th note 5 and all phones have had this error. After a few weeks I am usually unable to use the camera at all and the phone will not make or receive calls. These phones are complete junk. Samsung keeps "repairing" the issue and after being left for 2 weeks without a phone.....it comes back from Samsung still having the error within a day or two.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Started getting the Sim Card error about a week ago. Note 5 is only a year old. What to do?

Highlighted

Hey Schotzibella22! Sorry to read you are having issues. Have you tried the troubleshooting provided above?

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

Thanks for replying Jeffrey.

No, the ##72786# did not work. I tried it twice. The phone does stay activated a little longer though.

The message says; "The SIM card has locked. Please power cycle the device and if the problem persists contact Customer Service."

What do you suggest?

Thaniks,

David

Highlighted

Schotzibella22, we're sorry for the delay David. There was an issue with our platform and we just got your response. In regard to your issue, have you recently updated your phone's software? Have you changed your SIM card or attempted to take it out and put it back in? Is the phone asking you for any specific information to unlock the SIM?

Carlos
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for responding. I have taken the SIM card out several times and carefully re-installed. I have powered down the phone down, as well as, restarted several times. The phone works fine for a few minutes after rebooting then I receive the message; "The SIM card has locked. Please power cycle the device and if the problem persists contact Customer Service."

I did a manual software update on the 26th. It said there were no new updates available. I just did another manual software update and there were new updates available. I installed all available updates. The phone said the updates were successful.

After about 4 minutes the same error message appeared that I wrote above. I completely shut the device down for about 5 minutes, rebooted and same message appeared.

Highlighted

what update is your phone currently on? the most recent should be N920PVPU3DQC5 that brought in Nougat.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Thank you for your help.

My software update is N920PVPS3DQE1

Highlighted

does it say you are on 7.1 Nougat? or 7.0? im going to do some digging and see how far back you are currently.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

It just says 7.0

Android security patch level May 1, 2017

Kernel version May 8, 2017

SE for Android status May 8, 2017

If I remember, I think this might have started around May 8th ?

Highlighted

actually QE1 was the last most recent update that contained the April and May security patches. https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-Note5-Board/Samsung-Galaxy-Note5-SM-N920P-N920PVPS3DQ...
Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh yes I get this often. Typically indoors where there is poor or intermittent coverage. It wouldn't be a huge deal except that it forces a reboot. I was using my phone to photograph my son's graduation and it conked out 5x in a 90 minute period. No pictures. Oh well. But again it's much worse where the coverage is very poor to non existent and indoors. Normal Sprint weak/bad/no coverage outdoors doesn't seem to do this.  My Note 5 is about a year old N920PVPU3DQC5 on hardware N920P.03 Android 7.0 Kernel 3.10.61-10809541 datestamped 03.13.2017 (unrooted)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat