cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10/25 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - Android 4.1.1 (Jellybean) - L710VPBLJ7

Journeyman

Re: 10/25 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - Android 4.1.1 (Jellybean) - L710VPLJ7

hey what state are you in?  I'm curious in seeing who's getting it first.  Thanks.

Wizard

Re: 10/25 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - Android 4.1.1 (Jellybean) - L710VPLJ7

MaritaP wrote:

Anyone know if this will have google now or are they sticking with S(hitty)-voice?

This has Google Now and it is implemented very well.  Long press on home pulls up a way to get into it easily.  You can also just hit the google search bar to get there as well.

They still do have S-Voice and Samsung pulled a little trick to make sure you still have to use it.  They moved the very useful voice actions like using your voice to take pictures, control music and reject calls into the settings of S-Voice.   It's a real j.erk move by them honestly.

If you would rather launch Google Now with the double tap of the home button instead of S-Voice, use an app called Home2Shortcut and set it to Voice Search on the double tap (have to disable the double tap in the S-Voice settings first).

Wizard

Lake56 wrote:

hey what state are you in?  I'm curious in seeing who's getting it first.  Thanks.

States don't matter, its by random pull of Device IDs that can be all over the country.

Journeyman

Wow that sucks I'm getting old updates ridiculous

Wizard

Gotta be on LI3 before you can get the LJ7.  It's a good thing.

Masterminding wrote:

Wow that sucks I'm getting old updates ridiculous

Journeyman

mmark27_ you're correct states do not matter.

For the record, I am in California.

The Google Now application is pretty cool, launched by holding the menu key for two seconds. I am assuming I will like it better over time as it "learns".

Blocking of notifications is a big thing I was personally waiting for; the interface is simple.

The camera enhancements are pretty cool, nothing to write home about yet...Not a big photo guy though either.

The expandable notifications and abilities are sweet. The fact that I can email all attendees of a meeting without ever opening the meeting maker, to tell them I am running late rocks.

Widget intellegence is still lacking and only resizes if a smaller widget option is available. The good news; if there is no more room the device now automatically creates a new home screen.

Pop up play, pretty cool; liked it the way it was, like it better now.

Turned on Easy mode to check it out, turned it off because it upset me; literally. I can see it being pretty cool for younger kids and older adults through.

If there is somehting specific you are curious about, let me know and when i get time I will check it out and report back. Of course, you can be patient and get your update then I don't spoil the fun of discovering new things.

Master

Here's a screenshot after the LJ7 update...

http://i.imgur.com/0xHCN.png

Master

Google Now can be accessed by holding the menu button (it simulates pressing the search button that some older phones had). It can also be accessed by long pressing the home button and pressing the google icon at the bottom in the middle. Also typing in the Google search widget will utilize Google Now as well. In a nutshell Google Search is gone, Google Now is the replacement.

Phones are picked to receive the update randomly by Google's GOTA servers. There is no discernible rhyme or reason to it. The serial numbers are picked at random and spread out over several weeks to reduce network strain and allow for any major issues to be picked up early and the rollout suspended if need be. The full update rollout can take quite a while to get to every phone. In addition, you need to be on the immediately preceding update for the LJ7 Jelly Bean update to download (LI3 was the last Ice Cream Sandwich update for the S3).

Mandatory Disclaimer:

Installing the update through any other means other than an OTA push cannot be guaranteed to work on your device or be the correct update. Receiving the update through any other means is not supported and could potentially have issues. Likely it will not, but this disclaimer must be here. Do not expect Sprint to exchange a phone or so anything with a device that received the update through any other method (such as an XDA file), Sprint is within guidelines to deny service or repair/replacement to a phone that has had software loaded on it through an unsupported means.

Journeyman

You guys at Sprint and Samsung realize that you removed Internet Calling from this, right? That's kind of a big deal for people who use SIP. Especially if they are upgrading from ICS that had it configured and enabled. You don't just remove features like that. Especially with its configuration being outlined in detail in page 77 of the user manual on your own support site.

Also, Getting this phone to re-enter LTE from EvDO is like pulling teeth. You pretty much have to toggle Airplane Mode to get LTE back.

Wizard

Benefits far, far outweigh the peeves, but......

My peeves with this are:

1. grey notification bar.  Super duper lame that it changed from straight black.  Feels unfinished and ugly.
  2. LTE hand offs are an issue
  3. Voice actions buried in S-Voice application
  4. SIP calling removed - as Mutiny321 said, that's a biggie to just wisk away from users
  5. inability to not "disable" most everything we want, which should be mostly our choice if it isn't core functionality app -> which there are very few of those on Android. Example: I want to use Google Voice instead of Sprint Visual Voicemail.  Sprint has Google Voice integration as one of the only partners and really touts that fact, however you can't disable the SVVM from consuming resources or disable its notifications (EDIT: you can disable notifications in JB in the App Manager for specific apps).  So instead you get double resource consumption.
  6. remains from every Samsung build in the last 2 years -> the ability to only text 10 people at one time with the built in messaging app (yes, I use a 3rd party that allows it, but seriously guys)
  7. camera shutter sound is now louder than ever it seems, waking up the baby, the dog and now the neighbors too.
  8. Smart Device Manager should be an opt in, not on by default.  Consumes unnecessary resources.
  9. Sprint Connections Optimizer can't possibly be helpful for a single consumer????
Master

The Connection Optimizer can be disabled by unchecking the option in Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Connections Optimizer. Note that once you uncheck it, if you go back in to make sure it is unchecked, it will automatically check itself again. If you resist the urge to double check, it will stay off.

Journeyman

I went to the sprint store and they updated the my phone to jellybean.

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!