cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/24 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - L710VPMD4

90 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: 4/24 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - L710VPMD4

uhhh it should already have gone through....

this update was what 4 mths ago...

go into settings and about device, and see what it is running

Journeyman

How can I do this? Am I suppose to find this forum on my phone and download it that way? Do I lose all my photos and contacts when I do the updates?

Journeyman

I have the Galaxy S3 new in February,  my husband also.  We both had the same gallery freeze problems. I figured out the solution myself and it is resolved and works fine now- the "network" issues are another issue itself. The. New upgrade for the S4 is not compatable with the S3. It downloads things to the S3 that causes the Gallery freezing and other "network" issues. To fix the Gallery freeze- go to "apps" then "my files"  then "all files" then " extsdcard" then "DCIM" then "camera"... After the pics load to where you can see them,  look for one that is not one of your pics- just an ICON that looks like tge GALLERY ICON, delete it... if you have a lot of pics then make sure you check for more than one icon... if you click these icons then you get a black screen and it freezes... just delete them all if you have more than one.  Once you are done and there are no more icons- restart your phone, if you want power off and take the battery out for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute...  once your phone starts back up, go to your Gallery and BAM! It works again. I really should getva job as a Sprint a tech because none of the real techs knew what the problem was and blame it on down towers... like the dropped calls, no service, missed calls not getting through... I don't know about other phones but the GS3 is not compatable withvthe GS4 upgrade and downloads things like the Gallery Icon which causes the Gallery to always.  Freeze... there are probably other things that were and are being downloaded causing all the other issues. I just  haven't  found those yet.

Journeyman

I too had to go into a Sprint store and talk directly to the sprint tech, who I told I had found and downloaded the update file but was worried about installing it and voiding my warranty on my phone with Sprint.he then went to the counter and checked to make sure that my phone in fact did have the old software and check on his computer to see if sprint had an update file for the 4. 1 .2 version of my software which he only needed a second to confirm was available. After waiting over an hour for his file to download from the main Sprint network I was able to update my phone to the 4.1 .2 version for my galaxy s3. What upsets me is that I had talked to customer service online sent emails and I was told every time that I had to be patient and the updates would come. Is there a reason i have to wait Sprint? Well sorry to say but it was available and there is no reason why just because sprint decides when I can get an update I should have to wait. It's my belief that if I had not talked directly to the tech at the store that I would've received the runaround from some sales person giving me the same shit that I had received from customer service online. Does Sprint not know that many people who own smart phones are tech dtsaavy themselves and when you're told something like you have to wait for no reason at all,that an intelligent person can probably find the update somewhere in cyberspace, therefore proving that Sprint is full of shit. In the hour I spent with the tech rep at the Sprint store I I had a very fulfilling and lengthy conversation about my phone the network and the other issues that I had been experiencing and had the runaround from customer service prior to my visit. Instead of stonewalling and excuse making he talk to me like a rational adult and was truthful helpful andin my opinion should train your customer service Admins on how 2 treat their customer The funny thing is I've read today that there is now a new update that I will probably have to go back into the store bypass all the sales people and talk to my new buddy the tech rep who will gladly update my phone with no hassle at all. No excuses no bullshit just ,"yep there's an update! Let me see if I can find it for you and let me update your phone sir." .....Why can't it be that easy all of the time?

Journeyman

HOW DO WE GO ABOUT CLEARING THE GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK? I HEARD THAT THE NEW UPDATE WAS OUT AS WELL... I TRIED TO UPDATE MY SOFTWARE BUT IT'S JUST SHOWING THAT IT IS UP TO DATE... IM STILL WORKING WITH 4.1.2 CAN'T WAIT FOR THE 4.2.2 THOUGH... THANKS IN ADVANCE

Journeyman

The 4.1.2 update worked fine for me at first -- better battery life, MUCH faster charging. Those are still okay, but I've got keyboard lag again, none of the usual methods help that. I was on the phone with tech support and asked about the rumored 4.2 update, he claimed it was out, and told me to clear my Google services framework, which has worked for me before, but I'd already tried that.

I'm really disgusted by the keyboard lag. I do love multi-view, and Paper Artist, and the new Gallery, which I can now organize in my sleep, practically. I'm one of the edge-zoom haters, so that didn't bother me.

My swipe left/right to call/text works just fine. So far.

Journeyman

Right swipe on a contact to make a phone call is stll there, but it only works occasionally. Very annoying. I had to send my phone to get reflashed to Samsung, hopefully it'll work when i get it back.

Journeyman

Here are 4 more differences,.

1.) Microsoft Updates are listed separately. Android, It's ALL OR NOTHING.

2.) Microsoft Updates can be all installed at once, with a single Accept, or can be chosen individually to either be installed or not installed.

3.) Microsoft Update Reminder/Notices can be suppressed, temporarily, or indefinitely (Don't Remind me Again - and you can even change your mind and at a later date decide to Allow the Update)

This is a killer for me. I am continually interrupted, all day, every day by the OTA Prompt, which is costing me money in lost productivity, Why? Because I refuse thius update that takes away the Edge Zoom Feature. I've been told by Sprint and Samsung "There is no way to disable the OTA Reminder Popup"

4.) Microsoft Updates can be removed with relative ease (i.e., vs. "Format C" i.e., Use a utility to "root" your phone so you can go back to an earlier release, then Factory Reset - losing all your data and customization, your call logs, your texts _ rarely has Kies worked for me backing these up)

I'm told by the XDA People, if you "root" your phone, you can kill the OTA by tricking the Samsung "Push" system into thinking your phone is on the latest.

NOTE: I need this update, because of the Bluetooth bug, among other things, but I have to refuse because of the All or Nothing. I do not want to give up Edge Zoom. It is the reason I let Sprint lock me in to another 2 Year Contract upgrading from the S2.

I've come to find out I've also lost 4G since 4G although very VERY limited in Tampa at least 4G was occasionally available in a few places where it was of value to me. I didn't suspect a bigger, better, faster, more expensive phone would not be backward compatible. The S3 works only with 3G and 4GLTE. So I again paying the $10/mo.4G "Required" fee, for 4GLTE which is nowhere to be found in the Tampa area, and I can't even use the 4G that is. And don't try to tell me the $10 is for a "Smart Phone" I have a Blackberry Smartphone and 2 Samsungs all of which are Data capable via 3G without the 4G fee.

Journeyman

Everyone gripes about Microsoft even though you don't pay them $100 a month.  But guess what,  you can go to Windows Update, request and get updates only made available minutes earlier.   With Android, you go Settings/ System Update over month after the update was announced you get NOTHING!   You don't get a message saying "you must wait for notification" and you don't get the message "We have put you on queue to get the update downloaded to your phone as soon as it's your turn"..... You get nothing.  In fact, you have to be looking pretty hard to even know there is an update. 

Yeah, yeah you can download the file from someplace or the other... so if that's what we're supposed be doing and it's so wonderful... I have to ask :Why didn't Sprint didn't send us a notification of that?  If they're good with it why didn't everyone get notified that this was a supported procedure?

This whole update thing just isn't designed for the people paying the bill... it that simple.

Journeyman

am I the only one who thinks the new update messed the phone up?  my battery life isn't what it used to be downloading a new app takes forever and a day

a few of my apps aren't acting like the did before the update, hopefully it gets fixed soon.