ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/24 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - L710VPMD4

Journeyman

Re: 4/24 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - L710VPMD4

Since the forum upgrades, whenever I post a comment, the thread is tracked by default. I've read through all the replies, but have not seen anything addressing the question I have about the Swype keyboard. Why has the Swype keyboard not been updated with any of the prior system software updates? The version of the Swype keyboard included with the Galaxy S3 has a known issue with it that has since been corrected in an update given to the OEMs.

Journeyman

So I updated to this new version and I think i discovered a bug already from it.  Premium Suite has contextual menu where you can sort the apps in task manager by frequency used.  Well I selected that option and now my task manager is Stuck on Stupid.  I rebooted it and it's still in Stupid Mode where it doesn't take any inputs. Anyone else experience this?

I'm on Stock and running nova launcher.

Journeyman

Hi,

Not yet.  Have you tried using the stock launcher to see if that makes a difference or knocks it back into intended mode?

Journeyman

I tried using touch wiz,  same thing.  I figured out how to get the task manager out of that state.  Just go into application manager and reset the data on Task Manager.  But I still can't use that Frequency Used option without it screwing up.  Lol.

Journeyman

Has anyone received this update OTA (over the air) yet?

Re: Swype, I bought the new app in the play store, I use that instead. So that I can use it in the future for all my Android devices.

thanks

Journeyman

Yes, stock MB1 to MB4.  Must have been a download issue because I downloaded it again and it worked like a charm.  Thanks for the follow-up.

Journeyman

I haven't received the  OTA update yet. I did try to force the update like I did the first Jelly Bean update by going to settings App Manager, Google Services Framework, Clear Data and Force  routine. While this worked on 4.1.1 upgrade I haven't had any success with this latest update. Anybody know why it won't work this time?

Journeyman

@JinJ so, I have to buy the swype app even though it was included with the phone and has been updated to correct a known bug? I'd really like to get some information on this. Samsung has no information to provide (not even sure that they know about the swype bug) and so far, nothing from Sprint. I guess I could always just call tech support and ask about this.

Wizard

c_brookhart wrote:

@JinJ so, I have to buy the swype app even though it was included with the phone and has been updated to correct a known bug? I'd really like to get some information on this. Samsung has no information to provide (not even sure that they know about the swype bug) and so far, nothing from Sprint. I guess I could always just call tech support and ask about this.

No, you do NOT have to purchase the Swype app just because it's been placed on the Google Play store. That was done so that people who don't have the app at all can get into the app and be part of the updating channel...

Swype STILL has the beta program, which remains free, and all it takes is signing into beta.swype.com, download the Swype installer...then sign into the installer, and download the Swype beta. The beta program isn't going away just because there is a paid channel to receive the app now, so unless you want to use TiBu to remove your current Swype, just get the beta and continue receiving the beta updates.

Journeyman

c_brookhart wrote:

I'm not aware of bugs in Swype.

You don't have to buy it like the previous poster said.

I bought it now because it is cheap, I installed on all 3 of my devices. I think the s4 includes Swiftkey, which isn't very good if you like the swyping style. I synched my dictionary across the devices, works very nice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For anyone who has the update, can you tell me if they added a Setting or a whole new Settings menu, like on the Note II for "One Handed Operation"?

If so, did they add a setting to Enable "One Finger Screen Edge Zoom" or "Screen Edge Zoom" or anything like that? It was the feature that was on prior to MA6 and is also on the Note II and the Tab 10.1.

I have had to tap, "Later" to the Update prompt about 50 times per day because I refuse the update that does away with that feature.

Unfortunately the Bluetooth bug remains a problem for me, but it is less an issue that being able to zoom with One Hand by zooming with One Finger. I know about Double Tap, but it is not a good option as it is too inexact, i.e., does not zoom at the right point, or to the level desired.  The slide zoom is excellent. THe Google Maps "Tap, Tap and hold, then slide up to zoom in, down to zoom out is also very good.

Do they have any of these in the stock email client, in the stock or Dolphin browser with this release?

If not, I will need to get with "account services" to get out of my contract. I upgraded from the S2 for the Zoom Slide, and 64GB slot. I was willing to give up 4G, which I've paid $10/mo. for, for over 3 years (because they told me Tampa is a major market and will definitely have it soon - we got it about a year ago in a few spots.)

We still don't have 4G-LTE, so I'm again paying $10/mo., on 2 phones, for nothing. I have to tap "Later" no less than 50 times per day because they removed the One Handed Zoom feature, the Bluetooth bug means I can't connect to my car without rebooting the phone, and resetting the Car Radio, and still sometimes it doesn't connect, and since there is no voice coverage in my neighborhood - I have to have an Airave.

But I can't leave my house while on a conversation, without dropping the call. I am "tethered" to my home like I have an old "Uniden" cordless, not a cell phone, which I've had since 1986 and this is the first with this issue. 

palberg wrote:

does this mean the battery life issue from the last update will be fixed?

From what I have experienced so far the battery life is the same as before the update. My battery usage has remained the same throughout all the updates.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat