cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/24 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - L710VPMD4

Journeyman

Re: 4/24 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - L710VPMD4

You have to try a couple times for the manual push it'll then recognize eventually.

Journeyman

Anyone noticing that the battery is now draining really fast without doing too much with the phone?

Journeyman

you don't "stop" Google Framework, you CLEAR it. I cleared mine probably 5 times before an update got through, but it did work eventually.

As for battery life issues, mine improved greatly, as did charging time. The first JB update earlier this year had really been a problem for me.

Multiview is awesome, and I LOVE the GALLERY UPDATE for organizing. Mine is excellent and easy to use, sorry to hear someone's is freezing...maybe it's where your pics are stored, or how many you have? Mine are on my sd card, and I have many many folders. The new Gallery makes that possible. You might need to take it to a store to have that looked at.

I can't address sync issues, because I sync everything manually, as needed, otherwise the battery WILL drain. Easy enough to just hit sync for emails, etc.

Now I see rumors of a 4.2.2 update, anybody heard that? Hope we don't have to totally reset the phone all over again...

Journeyman

The directions for the manual install are on page 1 of this topic. I pasted them below. They were originally posted by mmark27.

You can follow this link to get the Official Update Zip from google and instructions on how to update your phone from MB1

file name: ebe16cf30fd6.update_SPH-L710_MB1_to_MD4.zip

MD5 check sums 4f1f349cf56afe40807bc641a04a8408

File size: 104MB

AGAIN, this is OFFICIAL from GOOGLE SERVERS (Sprint and Samsung official update file).  No funny business or anything that is warranty breaking at all.  This is how a Sprint Store would do the update if you took it to them.

1. Download the file, put it on your SD card. Do NOT unzip the file.
  2. Boot phone into Recovery Mode (power off, once all the way off, hold HOME+VOL UP+POWER button until the Samsung logo appears, then let go)
  3. Select Choose update from SD card (vol up and down to move cursor, power button to select)
  4. Find that Zip you saved to your SD card
  5. Update phone

Your phone will reboot and you'll have the latest MD4.

Journeyman

It's May 19th and I have received no notification for the new update... give it a week more or go to a Sprint store to get the update? Do they even do that?

Wizard

MARISOLBRYANT wrote:

It's May 19th and I have received no notification for the new update... give it a week more or go to a Sprint store to get the update? Do they even do that?

If you really want the update either see if the store can do it or you can follow the instructions reposted by

http://m.christianpost.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-android-4-1-jelly-bean-update-how-to-force-ota-upd...

Journeyman

Thanks for the info. Got my phone updated. Just learned of the new update through family members on the same plan. Was and still out of town since the update was released. Don't know why it would not update in Idaho but did manually.

Thanks,

Ty

Journeyman

Hey that link you posted worked! I tried it 3 times and I got the update!

Highlighted
Journeyman

EDGE ZOOM with the option to turn it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something the amateurs at Samsung needs to learn a lesson from. 

Per the XDA Link:

"Well, it seems Sammy has yet again added another great feature but forgot the option to turn it off! So as usual, we grab our shovels and fix that which is piled before us.

First, we thank Mirko ddd for his patch that allows us the option:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2095845

So as you can see, it's a nice, clean patch and will follow the format of previous toggles I've written about. This tutorial is based upon XXLSJ.

[HOWTO] Making new Edge Zoom feature user-controlled via toggle - xda-developers

Journeyman

am I the only one who thinks the new update messed the phone up?  my battery life isn't what it used to be downloading a new app takes forever and a day

a few of my apps aren't acting like the did before the update, hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Journeyman

Everyone gripes about Microsoft even though you don't pay them $100 a month.  But guess what,  you can go to Windows Update, request and get updates only made available minutes earlier.   With Android, you go Settings/ System Update over month after the update was announced you get NOTHING!   You don't get a message saying "you must wait for notification" and you don't get the message "We have put you on queue to get the update downloaded to your phone as soon as it's your turn"..... You get nothing.  In fact, you have to be looking pretty hard to even know there is an update. 

Yeah, yeah you can download the file from someplace or the other... so if that's what we're supposed be doing and it's so wonderful... I have to ask :Why didn't Sprint didn't send us a notification of that?  If they're good with it why didn't everyone get notified that this was a supported procedure?

This whole update thing just isn't designed for the people paying the bill... it that simple.

Journeyman

Here are 4 more differences,.

1.) Microsoft Updates are listed separately. Android, It's ALL OR NOTHING.

2.) Microsoft Updates can be all installed at once, with a single Accept, or can be chosen individually to either be installed or not installed.

3.) Microsoft Update Reminder/Notices can be suppressed, temporarily, or indefinitely (Don't Remind me Again - and you can even change your mind and at a later date decide to Allow the Update)

This is a killer for me. I am continually interrupted, all day, every day by the OTA Prompt, which is costing me money in lost productivity, Why? Because I refuse thius update that takes away the Edge Zoom Feature. I've been told by Sprint and Samsung "There is no way to disable the OTA Reminder Popup"

4.) Microsoft Updates can be removed with relative ease (i.e., vs. "Format C" i.e., Use a utility to "root" your phone so you can go back to an earlier release, then Factory Reset - losing all your data and customization, your call logs, your texts _ rarely has Kies worked for me backing these up)

I'm told by the XDA People, if you "root" your phone, you can kill the OTA by tricking the Samsung "Push" system into thinking your phone is on the latest.

NOTE: I need this update, because of the Bluetooth bug, among other things, but I have to refuse because of the All or Nothing. I do not want to give up Edge Zoom. It is the reason I let Sprint lock me in to another 2 Year Contract upgrading from the S2.

I've come to find out I've also lost 4G since 4G although very VERY limited in Tampa at least 4G was occasionally available in a few places where it was of value to me. I didn't suspect a bigger, better, faster, more expensive phone would not be backward compatible. The S3 works only with 3G and 4GLTE. So I again paying the $10/mo.4G "Required" fee, for 4GLTE which is nowhere to be found in the Tampa area, and I can't even use the 4G that is. And don't try to tell me the $10 is for a "Smart Phone" I have a Blackberry Smartphone and 2 Samsungs all of which are Data capable via 3G without the 4G fee.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat