Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)

1. After you have downloaded the L710VPUDND8 zip file to your laptop/PC, rename the file to update.zip.

2 . Copy update.zip to an external microSD card with at least 500MB of free space on it.

3. Insert the microSD  card into your SPH-L710

4. Boot the handset into recovery mode by simultaneously holding the Power, Home and Volume Up keys until you see the small blue wording of "Recovery boot...." at the very top left hand side of the screen.

5. Immediately release all three keys as soon as you see "Recovery reboot...".

6. Once in recovery mode, scroll down using the volume down control key to "apply update from external storage" and press the power key.

7. Scroll down to the update.zip file you placed on your microSD card and press the power key.

8. It shall take a few minutes to unzip and install the KitKat 4.2.2 update so go grab something to drink.

9. Reboot your SPH-L710 after the installation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I received notification of the update for my phone and did so and it completed the install. My only problem now is that my phone is encrypted and will not go past me entering in my pin to load my phone. I enter my pin and it continues to restart each time.

Any advice???

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have downloaded this software update this morning and now can not get passed the incripted sign on.
Can some please tell me how to get past this because now I can do ANYTHING , not even delete the app for encryption which is required for me to use my work email, so annoying, everytime I do an update I have some sort of issue.

Highlighted
Master

AMYN1976 and califguy12001,

Have you attempted pulling out the battery for a minute, and then reinserting and powering on the device? If that does not resolve the issue, I would recommend performing a factory reset from recovery mode.

Thank you,

*John R.
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I noticed that the update was visible in Kies this morning, and performed the update. As StvnM said, it has been a pretty smooth ride for the 8 hours or so I've been running. At least empirically, battery life seems to be slightly improved.

Two more GS3 devices in my plan to go...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did take out the battery for a good hour before trying it again with no success. How can I access recovery mode if I can not get pasted the encryption sign on that is required before my phone will load which it won't do?

Highlighted
Master

These steps were provided by WirelessKoala (thank you!) higher in the thread for another subscriber. You should be able to complete these steps even with the issue you're experiencing. Recovery Mode is entered as the phone is powering on. With the device off, complete the following:

Boot the handset into recovery mode by simultaneously holding the Power, Home and Volume Up keys until you see the small blue wording of "Recovery boot...." at the very top left hand side of the screen. Immediately release all three keys as soon as you see "Recovery reboot..."

If this does not work, please let me know.

Thanks,

*John R.
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Only question I have left with following these steps to recovery my phone will this delete anything on my SD card?

Highlighted
Master

AMYN1976 Good question and no it will not delete any information from your SD card. It resets the device memory not the external memory. Thanks for your question and have a nice day.

Stacy
Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

So I was able to follow the steps given preciously to get to the menu and find the update to external to select...

But the next step listed below I unfortunately do not see an option for update.zip file. What do I do know??

7. Scroll down to the update.zip file you placed on your microSD card and press the power key.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Help I need more advice on how to recover my phone....

So I was able to follow the steps given preciously to get to the menu and find the update to external to select...

But the next step listed I unfortunately do not see an option to choose update.zip file.

What do I do know??

Highlighted
Master

AMYN1976    Did you save a copy of Update.zip to the SD card?  You're being directed to find that file on your SD card, scrolling down to it using the volume buttons and then select it by pressing the power key. 

Let us know if that helps.

*Christy

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat