cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5/26 Google Play Store error on update or add apps

Go to solution
Journeyman

5/26 Google Play Store error on update or add apps

When I try to update an app with Google Play Store, I get the error "Update for (xxx) could not be downloaded due to an error. [RPC: S-5:AEC-0]"  On trying to add a new one I get "Error retrieving information from server.  [RPC: S-5:AEC-0]"

I have cleared the cache and data from the Play Store and every Google Play app, uninstalled all updates from them all, made sure Downloads was running and shut off the phone for a minute and then restarted it.  No change, other than having the older version of Play Store running.

Any ideas?  I really don't want to do a factory reset and lose all of my data, etc.

I am on L710VPMD4.

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: 5/26 Google Play Store error on update or add apps

this has occurred because you did clear the cache and everything from google services framework.  the only way to fix this is a factory reset.  I know because I used to clear the framework to push updates to my phone until I found a better way.  I know its a pain in the ass but factory reseting the phone is the only way to fix this

Journeyman

Same here, since the update which I received yesterday, I am getting the same error and cannot use the Play Store.

Guess I'll have to do a reset, darn!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was having similar issues with one of the 5 S3's on my account. I went to Settings, and under Accounts selected Google. Then selected my Google account. Made sure everything was showing as being recently sync'd then selected Remove Account. Shutdown phone, yanked and reinstalled battery then rebooted. You then go through the account setup wizard and all was good after that. That worked for me anyway.

You could also try logging on to play.google.com, login with the Google account and try to update and/or install from the web.

Good luck ...

Journeyman

Thanks, StvnM!!!  Removing the account, a battery pull and restart worked perfectly.  No factory reset required.

Thanks for the offer of help too, Mz Butler, but I didn't do the cache and data clearing until after having the problem and seeing it suggested on other sites.

One thing is certain - I won't be accepting any more app updates for anything Google Play related!

Journeyman

Awesome. Glad it worked for you as well.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat