cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/26 - Samsung Galaxy SIII Software Update - LG8

Go to solution
Journeyman

7/26 - Samsung Galaxy SIII Software Update - LG8

Did anyone else get an OTA for their Samsung Galaxy S3 that ends in LG8? It also seems to have a newer kernal than the LG2 that is still the most recent update in the official update blog. I was just wondering what the "Security Update" was.

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
Wizard

Re: 7/26 - Samsung Galaxy SIII Software Update - LG8

I'm still on LG2, but if something changes I'll post here.

Journeyman

Thoragh wrote:

Did anyone else get an OTA for their Samsung Galaxy S3 that ends in LG8? It also seems to have a newer kernal than the LG2 that is still the most recent update in the official update blog. I was just wondering what the "Security Update" was.

Thanks in advance!

Sprint just announced an OTA update yesterday, but it was called LG4, not LG8.

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Samsung_Galax...

EDIT:  It was the original announcement that was wrong.  See

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/94179?tstart=0

Journeyman

Thanks. I see on the second link that it was posted after my question as LG8. Nice find! Noticed some fixes and living in Dallas area I hope the LTE stuff is more improved at selecting it like the update says it is 😄

Journeyman

Yesturday night my wife galaxy s3 received new update and now her phone on LG8 were my galaxy s3 still on LG2. The weard thing is that i get my S3 2 weeks earlier then her before her but she always receive her update over the air and I have to do it manually by going to my setting then click on the system update then update profile and PRL then update software and that how i forse the update on my phone not this time it wont work.

Sprint Employee

Hello giorgiodiangelo, The Galaxy II's update is still being pushed out in groups, once the update has been pushed out to all it will then be made available to download on demand.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Has anyone gotten this yet? I am still waiting... over a week to get the update is rediculous. There is no reason for it to take so long. It took this long for me to get the first update as well. Its just awful support/customer service. It should be made instantly available to download. It makes no sense to make it available for download on demand after everyone has had it pushed out to them. That just sounds idiotic. "After we have pushed the update out to everyone that has the phone, we will make it available on demand." No one will need it on demand after its been pushed out to everyone. It should be available to download on demand first so the people that want it now can get it, and the people that don't care so much can wait til its pushed to them. Thats how it SHOULD BE DONE.

Wizard

I just got my update sometime early this morning (1 Aug 2012). 

@marie_c5 - From a technical aspect your suggestion would break most networks as it wouldn't be able to support an on demand push of that magnitude, espeically on a Cell phone network.  Doing so would likely cripple most people from being able to use their data connection at all.  The result would have the potential to be a DDOS.

Journeyman

From a techincal standpoint, an on demand puth is not that high of a magnitude. Total sales of Galaxy S III is 10 million worldwide. Lets be generous and say sprint sold 600K. Not all 600K would attempt to download the update at the same time. Lets go out on a limb and put an over estimate at 250K at the same time. Then lets put 50K of them over wifi. Being able to provide an on demand update for 200k phones should not cripple a cell phone network. (No where near this number would magically all decide, in unison, let manually search for an update for my device) Well over 200k people should have acess to sprint towers at the same time. With that being said, here it is a week later after the update. Lets say 30k ppl per day get access x7 days thats 210k served; When, according to your techinical expertise should they provide an on demand update? Waiting for EVERYONE to already have the update pushed to them is pointless then to release an on demand update....no one would need it.

Wizard

I'm not sure you are accounting for the big picture here or not.

Keep in mind while all the on demand requests are coming in, they are still doing their OTA push to more than just the S3 (S2 starting get ICS), and still providing data service to thousands (if not millions) other devices. Those data services include a multitude of other devices not just the S3.

A person on WiFi is irrelavent because that is the end user's network and it wouldn't be stressed, it would be the Sprint's network that would be stressed.  Granted only a sprint network engineer could outline the route the updates travel, but unless they respond here we can never be sure.

I do think the point you are trying to make is to give us the option of getting it sooner.  With that I believe they should provide us with some sort of opt-in for an early receive, but if that list got filled up it would just turn into a first come first serve anyway.

Journeyman

I finally got some answers today on update!   Scheduled to continue until August 15th.

For those in Phoenix Az area.... Update scheduled to happen by Aug 5th for LG8...

Very nice to know these things.. Details

Journeyman

So why did they stop the update and will resume soon?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat