7/9 - Samsung Galaxy SIII Software Update - LG2

Wizard

7/9 - Samsung Galaxy SIII Software Update - LG2

Samsung Galaxy SIII Software Update - LG2

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Google security update

Important Notes:

- Software version is: L710VPLG2

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within approximately 4 days

- Refer to the Samsung Galaxy SIII Software Updates for install instructions

15 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: 7/9 - Samsung Galaxy SIII Software Update - LG2

I'm confused...should a Samsung software update with the number L710VPLG2 show up for my phone?  My phone insists my system is up to date but everything on it says L710VPLF9.  Pretty unhappy with signal strength compared to my old EVO and am hoping this might help.

Thanks

Journeyman

This is one of the few products that I own where a general statement of "security enhancements" is used for an update.  Why won't Sprint or Samsung give us more details as to what has been updated, what security concerns have been dealt with?  A change log? 

Wizard

Is the Roaming Notification bug fixed in this "Security Update" ?  probably not, eh?

Wizard

See "important notes" bullet point number two of OP

Journeyman

I still don't have the update yet

Journeyman

Got it .. Don't notice any difference..

Journeyman

I dont see any diference!!!

Journeyman

Looks like Google Search bar no longer searches anything on the phone.  This comes on the heels of the Apple patent lawsuit against the search feature.  Not sure what else has changed, but I'm also noticing that the Sprint Connection Manager service no longer is running in the background regardless of how the check box is marked in its settings.

Wizard

SCHWASJ4586 wrote:

Looks like Google Search bar no longer searches anything on the phone.  This comes on the heels of the Apple patent lawsuit against the search feature.  Not sure what else has changed, but I'm also noticing that the Sprint Connection Manager service no longer is running in the background regardless of how the check box is marked in its settings.

yes, this appears to be true and I figured as much that this was what was happening.  Go to xda and install the old search box apk here to fix it.  Don't need root or anything.

[SPRINT] New 2nd update kills search functionality? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28547185#post28547185

Pretty sick of Google pandering to these jag.offs at Apple

Journeyman

So am I better off just not updating my phone? Any downside to ignoring it?

I am new to sprint/android, will it just keep harassing me to update or can I just ignore it and update it when there is an update that actually has benefits to it?

Wizard

vesica wrote:

So am I better off just not updating my phone? Any downside to ignoring it?

I am new to sprint/android, will it just keep harassing me to update or can I just ignore it and update it when there is an update that actually has benefits to it?

It will keep harassing you to update your phone.  If you do take the update, just follow my link, download the .apk and install it after you've upgraded.  It'll bring back the universal search feature.  I'm pretty sure, from reports I have heard, that this .apk is the only thing changed in the LG2 update for this phone.

I plan to ignore it for as long as I can, but I've already downloaded the old .apk.  People are reporting this works to fix the "security update" they've forced upon us.

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!