The roll out is random and takes about 20 days to complete The roll out starts slow and steps up toward the end of the period.
Got the notification for the update yesterday.... did the update, and now my t9 texting is all messed up. Not the swype t9, just the regular t9.... which is what I like the most and have always used. When I try typing ANY word, random letters are what show up as my word and I have to search for the word I want through the list of words given. This happens with EVERY SINGLE word.... ie, the, and, it, same, hello, ect. Doesn't matter what the word is. I've tried the swype and don't like it, so I've just stuck with the regular t9 texting. But since the update yesterday, it's been pretty annoying. I took it to a Sprint store, they did a soft reset.... it did nothing. They then did a factory reset.... it did nothing. Please help.
Did the update a couple of weeks ago and thought I was the only one disappointed in the keyboard response. Glad to see there are others. The original predictive text keyboard worked amazingly well for me and seemed to consider context of words as well as the spelling. Now it's simply awful. It won't fix misspelled words, doesn't automatically insert apostrophes or capitalize "I" or do any of the helpful tasks the old keyboard used to.
One of my co-workers suggested it might have been collateral damage from the Apple - Samsung lawsuit. Any ideas on why it changed or if there's a way to re-load it?
Also, when you are at home and suspect that you may be on the Airave rather than a normal Sprint tower.. A good way to tell this is by dialing *99 and it should beep twice and say a message like, "You are now within Airave coverage."
Thanks. I'll switch it out over the weekend and monitor the progress. Will report back on Monday with my findings.
Try to switch the system mode from CDMA/LTE to CDMA only. This helps me when i am at my residence. In my situaion i am in a full signal area (near down town Dallas). The tower i connect to seems to have had the update (had no signal for a day or two a few months back) and using Network Signal Info app i can tell its an updated tower. The app will show EVOD/A as the old legacy network and eHRPD or LTE as the new system. On my device at home i see it swtiching from EVOD/A to eHRPD frequently. Since the LI3 update i also noticed an occasional 4G icon and the app says im connected to LTE. HOWEVER anytime i am connected to 4G at my home Data fails. I have to go to my WIFI or wait for it to go back to eHRPD or EVDO for data to come back.
Have not tested it with phone/text but i did notice on one occasion i got 3 text messages right after it went back to EVDO.
I do know for a fact i get strong 4G LTE at my office so i know my device does indeed work well with 4G LTE.. If i had to guess i would say something is still lacking with the tower upgrade near my residence or they didnt do something right.
Oh one more thing, I used SystemPanel to monitor CPU usage and found that my device consumes more power because its always trying to switch from EVOD/A to eHRPD/LTE at home. So on the weekends, when i am home the most, i swtich my phone to CDMA only and i dont have the issues.
So with all that said try to set the system selection to CDMA and try that for a few hours or a day and see what happens..
She doesn't seem to have as much of a problem with it when she is at work or at the store. If it is the Airave, that really sucks because I don't know even know which neighbor has it. And it's not like I could even go over there and tell them to turn it off even if I did lol. I seem to have similar issues at home with my GS3 as well, but not as severe as hers. I will have trouble sending textxs and it may take 2 or 3 resends before it finally goes through. Then I might get a text 30 mins after sending it from her phone to my phone. It also did not seem to happen when we were on the LG8 software version. Then they pushed the LI3 OTA out and BAM, SMS issues started. Not sure if they updated the Radio too in the LI3 update or not. But it's frustrating as hell.