cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9/19 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - L710VPLI3

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 9/19 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - L710VPLI3

I'm having a problem with the battery draining. Prior to the update, the media server and screen would use about 27% of the battery. Now that I applied the update, the android system is using a significant amount of the battery. This is the same problem I epxerienced with the Epic phone. No problem with a battery drain before the update, and now after the update, there is a significant battery drain. Seems to me, that's the source of the problem. 4hrs and 5min on the battery with 47% remaining -- just the other day, I had 11 hours of up time.

I called tech support and the first representative basically told me to turn off the phone while they checked some things. Then they transferred me to another representative and I had to start over again with explaining the issue. It seems that if there are no problems identified in the Sprint computer system with the update, then no problems exist. It doesn't seem that an issue can be reported.

The only solutions? Reset the phone or get a replacement, which would actually be a refurbished phone and not a new one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you are running Juice Defender, try disabling it or uninstall and check your battery again in 24 hours. I don't think JD works with new update. I disabled it and my battery has better life ... not great, but much better. Big problem for me is "cell standby" is big battery drain. I had an almost comical email exchange with Samsung in which they repeatedly denied any knowledge of the problem, in spite of numerous articles written about it in the tech press for months...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey everyone,

I was just curious whether anyone else with an SGS III running L710VPL13 as I am has run into a weird glitch

wherein spontaneously with no apparent input from me the sound setting changes from General->Silent mode->

off to to General->Silent mode->vibrate or mute ? This is causing me to miss urgent paging texts unless I

purposely check every few minutes.

This phone is perfect, except for that glitch, which as an IT technician who goes 24x7 on-call every 2 weeks

makes me want to take a sledgehammer to it. Other than that, great phone, great OS, great apps and

features.

Highlighted
Journeyman

CTS5678WORK i have not run across any bugs that cause that particular issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I still have L710VPLG8. I was never notified of this version here in KCMO. Done a manual check and no update available.

Edit; I recieved the update yesterday morning after posting this. No issues to report.

Journeyman

I am going through the same thing! I hate T9 texting on my phone now! It's all the simple words. Even my letter "I" which usually capitalizes itself, doesn't do it anymore! I'm like you and I wasn't a big SWYPE user so...this update kind of sucks as far as texting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Think i might have figured out why my battery usage has gone up and why my CPU usage has gone up.

After running RealSignal i found that at my residence my device is switching from EVDO/A to eHRPD / LTE   I am on the fringe area of LTE.

I knew i can drive down the street and get LTE.. So till i ran the app i was not aware that the new update tweaked the LTE settings on my phone just enough to now be able to detect it closer to my residence.

I really cant complain. Its good they are making the adjustments, once the tower closest to me does get LTE turned on and the coverage hole i am in gets adjusted then my device will not be switching like it is now..

Whats odd is the tower closest to me does show to be upgraded and i get eHRPD but not LTE yet..

I also verified this by running CDMA only over night and noticed my CPU usage went from around 3-5% CPU usage CDMA only to 7-10% cpu usage with CDMA/LTE enabled.

I got that from an app called SystemPanel  It runs in the backround. 3-5% is actually normal, ran it on my GS2 Epic Touch and EVO 3D and a bit on my EVO LTE..

Looking forward to Jelly Bean..

Highlighted
Journeyman

For some reason, before the OTA was installed on my wife's GS3 last week, she had no issues with Sending/Receiving SMS anywhere and anytime. After the update, now when she is at home, it could take several hours for some of her texts to come through. Any ideas? I live in an apartment complex and one of our neighbors does have an Airave. Not sure if that matters but before this update, we were both pegged all the time with 3G signal, after the update, it's about half the bars. Could it be the LI3 radio that's the culprit?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ jwat77, anytime you get an OTA is good practice to update PROFILE/PRL and that should fix your sms sending/recieving issues... menu>system setings>system update>profile then PRL

Highlighted
Journeyman

In regards to the "SMS messaging improvements" my messaging has downgraded. There is no auto correct anymore on my phone. It use to automatically change my misspelled word to the right one, now it's taking whatever I typed and leaving it. Very dissatisfied. Will this be fixed? I paid to much for this phone to have to download/buy another keyboard.

Highlighted
Wizard

@kjoyner91

Have you tried using the trace ablities of the keyboard instead of typing manually?  If you use the tracing I'd recomend switching the keyboard over to Swype (seems to be more accurate). And when using this method auto-correct isn't really needed, which may be why they thought removing that feature is a good idea. And not everyone uses the tracing feature, so I would agree that they should have left the auto-correct option with the ability to turn it off.

If you still prefer to type, it does appear the auto-correct has been removed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ Fresh_TD

I have already updated PRL/Profile. I even went so far as to do a Factory Reset. No dice! Now all of a sudden, both of our GS3's at home are reading 4G (Never used to, it was always 3G). Could it be that because they are starting to field test LTE in my area, it has actually made my reception worse? Her phone get's like 5-6 bars on 4G (Signal Strength is ~ -80 to -90dB). Yet she still has a hard time sending/receiving texts. I texted her at 8:00pm last night. It didn't come through until 3:00am and when it finally did come through, it came through 3 times. I don't seem to have the same issues with my GS3 as she is having with hers. Could the radio be shot in her phone somehow? Since the Phone was purchased at Best Buy and we have the Black Tie Protection Plan on it, do I take it to them? Do I call Sprint and see if they can do anything over the phone to troubleshoot it? Do I take it into a Sprint Store and have them look at it?

This is totally frustrating her (and me). She loves the GS3, but now she is very mad that she sold her Photon to get it. She never had any issues with the Photon in the year she had it. I need to come up with a way to get this fixed for her. She deserves a working GS3. I am just worried that she is going to end up having to get a replacement phone and I can guarantee you it will probably be Refurbished and that's not fair since she has only had the phone for 2 months.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat