cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG: SGS3 Camera crash on 4.1.1 LJ7

Highlighted
Wizard

BUG: SGS3 Camera crash on 4.1.1 LJ7

I thought this was an isolated incident(s) to my phone, but it is confirmed to work on the two other SGS3s we just added to our account over Black Friday.  I set them up for my family members and the camera does indeed crash occasionally.  They had nothing else installed and were completely stock out of the box, freshly upgraded with LJ7 4.1.1.

Issue:  Camera will close itself for no apparent reason occasionally when you are trying to take a picture.

Reproducibility: Not clear on what set of events cause the force close of the camera.  I thought originally it was related to the Panorama mode or the Low Light Filter (as I use those the most), but this was happening with the standard picture mode that appears.  This has been reproduced on 3 different handsets with different manufacture dates.  All handsets were stock, directly out of the box, then upgraded OTA with Jelly Bean.  I even did a factory reset on my mom's phone and the crash still happened on the camera.  You think you just accidentally press one of the softkeys the first time it happens, but it just closes itself without message.

Resolution: A reboot of the phone appears to stop the camera crash.  There is no toast notification displayed indicating a crash, the camera will just close back out to the home screen.

If you have had the same experience, please sound off. No idea if bugs get reported to anyone anymore off this thread.  I sure wish Will England was moderating here......

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: BUG: SGS3 Camera crash on 4.1.1 LJ7

Tried to use the Low Light Filter this weekend at a wedding and it just kept crashing out.  I had more luck without the LLF, but it would still occasionally have crashes.  Does anyone else see this behavior?

Man, I tell ya, I thought that Wisconsin had bad Sprint coverage, but Connecticut was even worse! (Darien, Norwalk, Wilton area)  Let's hope that's still Sandy issues, but if it isn't, ouch.

Highlighted
Master

I haven't had the stock camera crash out on me at all on my S3 running LJ7. I usually don't have any filters enabled and hardly use the camera though.

Are you 100% sure you aren't hitting the edge of the capacitive back button on the phone when it does this? The touch-sensitive area for the menu and back buttons are larger than the icon itself.

I will cross-post this information in our internal S&R forums, but a quick search of those turned out no reported issues from service and repair stores regarding this behavior.

Highlighted
Wizard

yes, I'm 100% sure that I'm not hitting any part of the buttons.

You really should use that LLF, it makes this camera amazing in taking pictures indoors with reasonably low light.  The pictures come out nice a bright.  It's a truly awesome addition to the camera app from Samsung.

Highlighted
Wizard

It helps when flashes would ruin the photo or blow out the color.

without LLS (low light sensor) filter:

20121031_182143.jpg

With LLS on:

20121031_182208_LLS.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine also has this same issue running LJ7. Ran just fine without any issues with the original version (VPLF9) sold with this phone... Mine will also randomly revert to storing pics taken with the camera on the internal memory rather than the SD card, even if I set it to store on the SD card. When I first updated to LJ7 I had this issue along with an issue with lagging when scrolling through stored pics on my SD card. Bugs such as these are the reason I refrain from updating software on any Galaxy phone. I had a galaxy 1 and galaxy 2 and everytime there was a software upgrade to the next version, it brought some sort of bug that is just frustrating to deal with. I accidentally hit the "upgrade now" button when I went to LJ7, because it popped up every 5 minutes on my phone. Neither Samsung nor Sprint have ever provided direct solutions to these "bugs" or give the option of reverting back to the previous version, they will just tell you to reset your phone, which never works. Mine keeps prompting me to install Jelly Bean now (which I have been ignoring for 2 weeks), who knows what issues that has.

Highlighted
Journeyman

me too

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat