Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Drain issues galaxy s3? sprint blaming tower signal for issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery Drain issues galaxy s3? sprint blaming tower signal for issue

ive had my gs3 for about 2 months. it was great the first month and change but now i have noticed a dramatic change in my battery life. i used to be able to get 1 day 16 hrs default. regular usage, now i am lucky if i get 1 day. ive gone to sprint and they told me it was because the towers were being upgraded or some nonsense like that. the tech told me even his phone was having some battery drain issues lately. this was last week. this week the drain issue has gotten much worse. for example, i have 35% battery left and 22 hrs of standby. can someone tell me what is going on? ive reset all settings, refreshed my device, pull out the battery.. everything.

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
GrandMaster

if your reception is bad then yah..i can see the battery draining pretty fast since it will be working twice as hard to pull a better signal. one other thing though..go into your settings and uncheck the battery saver mode. quite a few people have noticed a big difference battery life wise when they unchecked that..no idea what its doing or why..but it has worked for most. once unchecked power cycle the phone, update the profile and prl..then do your normal usage with the phone to test out and see if it made a differnce or not.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Correct - as radio signal strength drops, the radios have to use more power to talk to the towers.   That is a temporary problem as we put new, more efficient hardware in at the tower.  Head over to http://sprint.com/network to find out the latest status on your neighborhood.

Also, connect to WiFi as much as possible - it's more power efficient than the CDMA / LTE radios.  That may help your battery life.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm on wifi most of my day. 3g is always off. I use an airrave for service. Even in major areas I'm noticing battery drain problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Go into your Settings, Battery and see what is actually using the battery. This will help us to determine if its signal or a rogue app or something else.

After JB update my Media Servies went thru the roof. Its a known issue.

I can reboot my phone and for the first 30-45 minutes my CPU will run at 50%. Literally every time i reboot i know i will loose about 10% battery in less then an hour.

If you click on an app, it will show you CPU time and Stay Awake time.

If those numbers are high then its keeping your phone awake and using a lot of juice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've noticed a huge battery drain recently as well, along with a few other issues.  I'd go to bed with 85% battery and wake up 5 hours later to the low battery warning sound.  WTH is that about?  Phone's not even being used during that time. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

then you for sure have something running in the background. by the by how many of you are running this phone on power saver mode? for quite a few this has been a culprit. especially when running this AND a task killer app.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

ThatLMSgrl,

As fireguy_6364 mentioned, it sounds like you have some apps running in the background. On the S3 I would suggest from the main screen to press menu>battery. On that screen you should see what apps are running and the percentage of that battery that is being allocated to that app. That will give us an idea as to what might be causing this problem.

TheFifthLetter

Sprint Social Media Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not running in power saving mode and I don't have anything atypical running in the background.  This is an issue that popped up randomly a couple of weeks ago - I've not changed any settings or downloaded/run any new apps.  As I'm looking at the apps currently running, the Android OS is the top one listed.  And despite this, I loose charge at the speed of light.  I didn't used to be this bad; the last time I had this issue was with the first software update from Samsung but that wasn't the case this time.  *shrugs*

Highlighted
GrandMaster

instead of pulling it up through the battery pull up your applications in settings and look in your running applications area..also double check to make sure the phone isnt in power saver mode in case something might have changed up and put it in that mode..for all we know you might have updated a app and it may have changed up how often it sync's or how it runs in the background..

also once you see what all apps are actually running in the background yank your battery for 2+ minutes..hold down the power button for about 10 seconds...then go ahead and put the battery back in and power it up..it will get rid of any saved/built up memory in the background. run it for a while and then go back in and see what all things have popped back up and started running without you opening them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nope, swear to God, not running in power saving mode.  I have all my apps set to manual updating rather than automatic and I haven't updated any, nothing rogue running in the background when I look at the apps that are running.  Also already did the battery pull trick (1st rule of IT, right? ).  I'm not a newb to technology.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

wouldnt know..i lost my psychic abilities back when i got divorced...she took that along with the family pet.

anywho...im at a loss..if its not a rogue app or something that changed up with an update (app or device) then the only thing i can think of would be to do a FR and see if that resolves the issue..actually since youre a phone pro restart the phone in safe mode and see if the battery life changes at all. if it does then its related to one of the apps you have on the phone..if it doesnt then its something with the phone or one of the stock apps it came with.

ThatLMSgrl wrote:

Nope, swear to God, not running in power saving mode.  I have all my apps set to manual updating rather than automatic and I haven't updated any, nothing rogue running in the background when I look at the apps that are running. Also already did the battery pull trick (1st rule of IT, right? ).  I'm not a newb to technology.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat