cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Drain issues galaxy s3? sprint blaming tower signal for issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery Drain issues galaxy s3? sprint blaming tower signal for issue

ive had my gs3 for about 2 months. it was great the first month and change but now i have noticed a dramatic change in my battery life. i used to be able to get 1 day 16 hrs default. regular usage, now i am lucky if i get 1 day. ive gone to sprint and they told me it was because the towers were being upgraded or some nonsense like that. the tech told me even his phone was having some battery drain issues lately. this was last week. this week the drain issue has gotten much worse. for example, i have 35% battery left and 22 hrs of standby. can someone tell me what is going on? ive reset all settings, refreshed my device, pull out the battery.. everything.

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Journeyman

Broke down & did a FR last night, much as I hate doing that.  It's only marginally better and I've been watching it like a hawk today.  Light usage so far today and I'm already down to 63% after being fully charged as of 10 this morning.  I'm counting the days til I can trade this thing in.  😕

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i hate the FR with a passion...i only go for at that as final resort..usually the safe mode trick will tip you off if its phone related, 3rd party app related or whatev.

i have access to 2 SIII's and not one of them has the battery drain problem...one of the two is in an area with minimul reception...and even that doesnt have as drastic of an affect as you would think.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
GrandMaster

is your screen brightness set to auto or what? while watching it like a hawk were you turning it on and checking the battery level? yes i know rookie move but still needed to be asked lol

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Screen brightness is set at about 40-45% (or from what I can figure from the slider - lol) and not on auto brightness.  I've not been making a point to turn it on just to check battery but paid attention when I got a text, etc.  It's done better today after the FR, so that's good news.  I hate those with a passion, too.  I still haven't put everything back the way it was.  LOL  Thus far I'm just waiting with baited breath for the next kink in the system.  I've had repeated probs with this phone that I never had with the Evo (1st gen).

Highlighted
GrandMaster

you have to remember that the first gen evo had one of the strongest antennas out there..thats why everyone complains about the reception with these new phones.

throw your screen brightness on auto...might as well let the phone adjust it for better battery life as it goes than to guess..worst case scenario run it like this for a few days and see if it improves anything or not..

yah the last fr i did i wrote down which screen had what apps on it..just so i could put everything back in place...a pain for sure but it DOES resolve alot of the issues people run into.

unfortunatley every update is going to bring along with it more issues..thats why i hold off on letting the update go through for at least a couple months..i then get to read all the problems and judge for myself if its worth the hassle to upgrade just yet or not...ditto with jumping to a new phone...which is why im STILL rocking the original evo no phone to date has perked my interest so far. by holding off i will usually know a phone i might possibly get front to back before i even own the thing lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm also having a problem with battery drain, but I think I've traced it to a sync problem. I keep all my contacts in Google and now, most of the time, I'm unable to sync with Google. I think that my phone is constantly trying to sync, which is draining the battery. I've tried to sync with both home and work networks and just using 3G. No matter what I try, I continue to get the message "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." Suggestions? Please?

Highlighted
Journeyman

If it started in the last couple of days it may be related to an Android OS update that was pushed out.  It's affecting the S2's quite a bit.  There were some comments about it automatically turning on wi-fi and 4g, so pay attention to that as well.  Honestly I think the standard protocol is to blame it on tower work.  Every time I've been in the Sprint store they use that as an excuse.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

that would be due to the connections optimizer that came along with those updates. it automatically figures out which connection is the strongest and choses that one. no one said it was the smartest at times...but youre able to keep your wifi on while not in a known wifi area and it wont eat up your battery.

dew4959 wrote:

If it started in the last couple of days it may be related to an Android OS update that was pushed out.  It's affecting the S2's quite a bit.  There were some comments about it automatically turning on wi-fi and 4g, so pay attention to that as well. Honestly I think the standard protocol is to blame it on tower work.  Every time I've been in the Sprint store they use that as an excuse.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There are many factors when determining battery drain. I have optimized my S3 to have longer than 1 day battery life with moderate/heavy use. This is a helpful article:

http://gottabemobile.com/2013/02/13/how-to-get-better-samsung-galaxy-s3-battery-life/connected-#2210...

Highlighted
Wizard

That link doesn't appear to be working any more, after I followed it, it re-directed to:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/11/13/connected-home-gift-guide/#221006

DRAGOAN1 wrote:

There are many factors when determining battery drain. I have optimized my S3 to have longer than 1 day battery life with moderate/heavy use. This is a helpful article:

http://gottabemobile.com/2013/02/13/how-to-get-better-samsung-galaxy-s3-battery-life/connected-#2210...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am curious really as to what degree of battery drain are considered problem to you. I have both an S2 and S3, both of this phones cannot last 6 hours (with very minimal usage) without draining the battery. I've switched from ATT using an Iphone 3G, 4 and 4S, I've never experience this kinds of problem with Apple phones. Like thatLMSgirl, I am not a newbie in tech. I have all the Samsung apps disabled, minimal apps installed, power save mode, CDMA (disabled LTE) etc and still the battery would drain like crazy. The weird thing is even after waking up in the morning, Android/Samsung will consume ~40% battery even without using it. People complain about the Apple closed eco-system but in reality, the beauty of that is they make sure both hardware and software are tested fully. Google/Andoird open systems creates a lot of problem between hardware manufacturer(samsung) and software manufacturer(google)...Dont be surprise if Samsung probably will develop their own mobile OS in the future. My only surprise is: How does samsung phones still sell? Owning both samsung and apple phones; it was so easy for me to realize which is better. Apple by a mile and I hate apple (for being quite pricey)..

Highlighted
GrandMaster

agreed. apple is a beast when it comes to battery life..im also a big fan of seri or however you spell it..aside from that everything else i dont like when it comes to apple lol..also for  a full day shut down the battery saver mode and then operate the phone as you normally would..i have noticed with quite a few phones out there that the battery saver mode has actually hindered the battery rather than help it..i dont run it on my HTC One for this very reason. also do you have the connections optimizer turned on or off? i have noticed on again off again issues with that as well.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat