cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Drain issues galaxy s3? sprint blaming tower signal for issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery Drain issues galaxy s3? sprint blaming tower signal for issue

ive had my gs3 for about 2 months. it was great the first month and change but now i have noticed a dramatic change in my battery life. i used to be able to get 1 day 16 hrs default. regular usage, now i am lucky if i get 1 day. ive gone to sprint and they told me it was because the towers were being upgraded or some nonsense like that. the tech told me even his phone was having some battery drain issues lately. this was last week. this week the drain issue has gotten much worse. for example, i have 35% battery left and 22 hrs of standby. can someone tell me what is going on? ive reset all settings, refreshed my device, pull out the battery.. everything.

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Journeyman

I know the problem and Sprint is not doing anything about it. For fireguy, most of us if we get a request for us to update on our phones then we update it, we do not know that it is going to damage our phones afterall it's our providers phones that are telling us it is needed.

So.. I have been with sprint for almost four years by the way, had ins. the whole time too. About 3 months ago my S3 phone told me there was a update, so I did. Big mistake. Ever since my phone battery drains rapidly, example I had my phone at 100% battery a hour ago now its s at 62%. Even if it is plugged in it dies if you use it. I do not have many apps installed, I know I dont have anything draining it other then the cause of the update. I recently called sprint they told me to bring it to the service store, I did. I arrived, was told It will take 1hour. I came back after 1hour the service tech told me the battery was fine BUT ever since samsung sent out the last update that it messed up the battery life of S3 phones. The tech said the update is making S3 phones run like S4 phones draining the battery. The tech said till samsung creates a new update to fix the issue there is nothing I can do. I said what am I supposed to do leave it plugged in all the time, the tech said yeah pretty much. Nice so now I have a phone that if I try to say go to disneyland or the beach or drive out of town to my parents for dinner and lets say I want to take some pictures while doing any of those thing you can guarantee I will have a dead phone before im done doing any of those things. NOT a happy customer right here..

Highlighted
GrandMaster

keep in mind that this isnt carrier based. EVERY carrier out there will have these types of issues pop up on their devices when updates come out. check their forums out if you wish..i can link you if needs be.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

Unfortunately I've been there too.  Basically, I learned the hard way, if you see your phone telling there is an update.  WAIT several days and go check forums.  If you find something that concerns you, then avoid doing the update. 

Highlighted
Master

There are concerns at times when it comes to updates. However, if the concern is threatening or preventive from device usage please advise Sprint or the device manufacture in most cases. In some cases the device may be under warranty or may have a fix for the update concern to follow. Carriers don't create the updates, its the operating system on your device. (i.e. Apple IOS, Android, windows etc.) Forums are a good way to go as well to see whats out there and a quick fix for the concern as well at your own risk. Manufactures & software providers would have the most accurate information also passed to the carrier. If you have any questions for us please advise. - Erica
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
GrandMaster

yup. i have been doing this method for quite a few years and its saved my bacon on more than one occasion lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: sprintcare & fireguy.. we are not all tech savy people, this is the first im learning to check updates online first to make sure there safe. Can't blame the consumer if we did not know..

Highlighted
GrandMaster

well consider yourself enlightened now lol. all updates for android devices pretty much come from google..then the manufacturer then to your phone..at times sprint might add a few things but they are also tested on blank slate devices with NO 3rd party apps on it..apple updates come straight from apple themselves. jumping into a smart phone isnt like it used to be..flip phones would get a update and no biggy..smart phones on the other hand is pretty much a customizable computer that fits in your back pocket and youre able to make calls from..to a point anyone with a smart phones needs to be at least a bit tech savvy in order to figure out issues or to even be able to follow what directions someone is giving you to attempt a fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got an S3 Myself and until I rebooted everything was fine, then got an update, battery life went to 50% in less than 3 hours

Looked under 'Battery" in settings and found the culprit was actually a SPRINT app that has installed itself, 2 actually that were NOT on the phone before the update

Sprint Connections Optimizer had used 37% of the battery in under 3 hours, and the other ( which was and STILL is turned OFF) was "Wireless Calling" which I have no clue what it does but under my settings is not even turned on .

Disabled both yesterday, today battery life is back to normal !!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

the optimizer has been out for sprint devices for quite some time now. its in place to automatically let the phone randomly search for known wifi connections without keeping the antenna on so its not searching constantly. and agreed from device to device the optimizer has some issues.

wifi calling you must set up. instead of needing a airave device if you have issues at home with reception the wifi calling is supposed to take its place and run off your home net.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was attempting to add you onto another discussion. please check it out! its about battery drain on my note 3

Highlighted
GrandMaster

to link someone to a thread you have to put @ then their screen name in here..minus the space between it. OR copy/paste their name into another thread and that will work as well. i found it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat