cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery drain??

I got the update via download and ever since, my battery life is terrible. I need to charge it at least twice a day. Diagnostics thru Sprint zone shows high power usage by Android System and Android OS. Together they are using almost 35% of battery. Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix this?

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
Master

19SLAPSHOT66 I understand this can be frustrating. This update has been known to consume a little more power that normal. However it sounds like it is consuming too much power. Please visit one of our service centers so they may have a look at the device. Please visit http://storelocator.sprint.com/locator/ for a service center located near you. Thank you for posting. -Ramiro Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes having the same issue. Back in December my S3 factory battery would give me maybe a 1/2 a day so I got an extended 4200.  Since then I have been able to go 2 or 3 days.  When in Denmark 2 weeks ago and having network disabled it would go all day and use like 8%.  I installed the KK upgrade 2 days ago, my phone started out  Monday at 100% and by the end of the day it was at 50%.  Decided to see how it would handle another day and by the next morning it was at 30%, drive into work and within the hour it started beeping it was at 17%.  Same usage as you, used to be the screen consumed all the battery, now it is the 2 processes you listed above.  Have restarted twice and am charging now to see if it is going to be something that is going to be a constant issue.  Bad enough I have a huge phone now with an extended battery, I guess the next thing I will have to do is walk around with a charge stick in my pocket.  Something is amiss with this update.  A little more is a couple of percent, but seeing like almost 50% more drain.  I hate to see what this update is doing on a stock battery

Highlighted
Wizard

I've been having battery problems too, not to mention less 4G service than before. But on a bad day my battery might be down to 30-40% by the end of the work day. Yesterday it was down to 15% at the end of the work day and that's with no more usage than before, maybe even less! So I'm not too crazy about this update.

Highlighted
Master

cpcarroll

Google is aware of the battery drainage issue associated with the KitKat update. They are working on 4.4.3 which is supposed to help with this. I'm sorry; I definitely know how frustrating this can be and am also waiting anxiously for the new update.

Melyssa
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Wizard

Thanks for the information about 4.4.3. About the 4G issues, I've heard others besides myself who have had data issues too since the update. I work at a Lowe's, a fairly large one, and before the update I could get 4G all over the store except for about one remote area. Now it's basically reversed. Only 3G in almost all of the store except near the entrance. Strange. My phone does a lot of switching back and forth also between 3G and 4G when at home, even while sitting in one spot.

Highlighted
Master

cpcarroll- I would like to check out the area to see if the towers are having some issues. What are the nearest cross streets and zip next to your job please? Thanks- Sara, Social Care Team
Highlighted
Wizard

For work it would be SL Rogers Wells Blvd and Grandview Ave. Zip 42141

I'm just as concerned, if not more so about service/data at my home too. Nearest cross streets there are Columbia Avenue and E Front St, also zip 42141.

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm sitting in my break room at work right now, about the only place where I've been able to get 4G, and it's switching back and forth between 3G and 4G. Mostly staying on 3G.

Highlighted
Master

cpcarroll,

I don't see any outages on towers in your area. There are upgrades currently going on. During testing stages signal may be sporadic. This can explain why the device is switching from 4G to 3G. Here are some steps to help you conserve the battery http://bit.ly/1jj1KAg. Have you had the device checked out in a service and repair location? They can run tests and diagnostics on the device to determine if it is a signal or battery issue. Are you using any after market batteries/chargers? If so make sure to also include them when visiting the store to rule out any possible equipment issues. Feel free to keep me updated. I'm here for you.

-- Laura, Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Wizard

Here's a text I got from Sprint 2 weeks ago, "SprintFreeMsg: Your all-new network is here, with stronger voice service and 10x faster data speeds. See how this helps you at http://sprint.us/networkupdate9." So these upgrades they are supposed to be doing now are in addition to whatever that text is referring to?

Also, my nearest Sprint store is about 40 minutes away. I haven't taken it there yet since these problems started.

I do have 2 brand new spare batteries I just received yesterday and using the first of those today. They are 2300 mah instead of the stock 2100. So far it's doing better than stock battery.

Highlighted
Master

cpcarroll,

The upgrades that we are mentioning, and the ones in the text are all part of our network vision process. You can follow upgrades that have been completed in your area at Sprint.com/LTE. It also sounds like this replacement battery has helped the issue.

-Patrick
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat