cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery drain??

I got the update via download and ever since, my battery life is terrible. I need to charge it at least twice a day. Diagnostics thru Sprint zone shows high power usage by Android System and Android OS. Together they are using almost 35% of battery. Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix this?

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
Wizard

Ok, so I turned on all of my location settings and checked for data coverage around me at www.sprint.com/lte. The entire area around me says "Sprint 4G LTE Best" yet I've been stuck on 3G all night. And the results of a speed test I just performed give .52 mbps download and .37 mbps upload. Am I wrong in feeling this is unacceptable, even for 3G speeds?

On a side note, I got three different results when looking at the map for number of network upgrades in my zip code: first it said 6, then 2, then 4.

So it's safe to say my Sprint experience as of late has been confusing, frustrating, and disappointing.

Highlighted
Master

cpcarroll,

While network vision upgrades are being done in your market, I suggest changing your settings to CDMA only and updating the data Profile. This will prevent your phone from searching for a 4G signal, which in turn will save battery life. This will also provide you with a more stable data connection while techs are working on upgrades. We appreciate your patience while we work to complete these upgrades in your area.

Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm seeing the battery drain issue as well since my phone updated Monday morning.  I'm also having issues with my GPS it has been having a difficult time grabbing a signal, never had this issue before the update.  I've tried the High Accuracy and GPS Only location modes.

Highlighted
Master

strangebrew52,

Google is aware of the issues associated with the KitKat update. They are working on 4.4.3 which is supposed to help with this. I understand how frustrating this can be and we appreciate your patience while we wait for Google to release an update to correct these issues.

Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Why isn't there a way to back up to the previous system?? My battery is taking a nosedive.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Been having this issue as weel. The new update made my battery worse. Been on 15minutes and I'm 52%. My signal has also greatly suffered. I'm on wifi at home otherwise my status bar shows nothing. No 3G no 4G, but if I walk a block down the way I get 4G. Not going to sit on a busy intersection just to get signal. Im surprised my wifi connection has lasted this long usually it keeps switching unable to stay connected to anything, oddly only when I'm home. Sprint don't ask me for my zip, every time I call there is ALWAYS something up with the tower, always. It sounds more like an excuse now and I get told that there's no previous note about my complaints when I mention it.

Hope you're right about 4.4.3 because a term fee will pay for itself in 2months with how much I pay Sprint for sll this stupid stuff I've been dealing with this last year.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My battery drain is down right ridiculous. This is the second time back on the charger in one day and I have tried every suggestion on here, through diagnostics and in the Web. I have to try to remember to sync things now since it was suggested to turn off auto sync, I have to keep turning on and off the wifi and everything I need to do is just more difficult. I hate this update and would like to go back until these things are fixed. I can't and won't continue with service like this. At this rate between having no service and having no battery, I may as well have no phone. And I pay for this?!! Sprint needs to have the issue escalated before they have no customers to help! I'm serious this really stinks. And I haven't even tried to watch my Netflix shows or anything that used to cause a bit quicker of a drain. I'm not so sure I'll even be able to watch half of a show and I will probably need to have it plugged in while doing so. Help help help! Dawn Miller

Highlighted
Journeyman

So who is responsible for this debacle? Google - Samsung - Sprint???? It seems that sprint is the service provider. What is the status if a fix? This really sucks 😞

Highlighted
Master

Dawntrinity,

Thank you for the post. Our team is now aware of this issue, and they've been working to find a proper solution for it since. We'll approach it from every possible angle, then a final solution will be released. In the meantime, keep carrying on with the battery maintenance habits you've been practicing. Also, please let us have your cross streets and zip code so we can check your network for the service issues you mentioned.

Regards,

Pierre, Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Wizard

You would think Sprint would have discovered any issues, including battery drain, when field testing the KK updated.

Does anyone know if customers with S3's on other carriers are also experiencing issues with the KK update?

I have two S3's, received the update but was hesitant to install until after I see a number of positive experiences by Sprint customers. Needless to say, I will not install the KK update until Sprint\Samsung\Google get it right.

My Sprint contract expires in five months. We'll see if the KK issue is resolved before i switch all lines to another provider.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ampvb, I wish I had been given the opportunity to reject the update, but then again I probably would have gone ahead with it because, up to now, I have been very satisfied with the S3 and the service. 

Dawn, I agree that Sprint needs to move forward on this issue, the battery drain is ludicrous. I went to display this afternoon and turned off everything that I was using:  Auto rotate, show battery percentage, Auto adjust screen tone, and auto brightness.  I am afraid to say this, but it seems to have slowed the battery drain a little

Does anyone know how long is will take to get a fix?

Highlighted
Master

bev1030, I realize it sometimes seems like a silly question but did you also update all of the apps on your device after you got the update?  I bugged a device expert about this on another device and was told that very often, older app versions aren't optomized for the new OS version and updating all helps alleviate most of the drain.  I tend to be chronically behind in my updates because I shut off auto-updates and so often have old versions and don't even realize it.  If you haven't already done so, I'd highly encourage you to allow the playstore to update all and see if that makes a difference.

*Christy

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat