cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery drain??

I got the update via download and ever since, my battery life is terrible. I need to charge it at least twice a day. Diagnostics thru Sprint zone shows high power usage by Android System and Android OS. Together they are using almost 35% of battery. Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix this?

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
Master

bev1030

We do apologize about the inconvenience. We do understand how frustrating this issue could be. We are working with Samsung to get a fix. Once the fixed is determined, we will make sure the information is sent out to devices over the air and we will post it on Sprint.com/newsroom.

Sprint Social Care,
JaSherai
Highlighted
Wizard

JaSHerai,

What is the timeline for the fix? Sprint customers with S3 devices need to know asap.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Christy, My aps are updated, except those that I don't want and don't use..  i.e. dropbox, chat, hangout - the garbage aps as far as I am concerned.  One thing I have done is turn off everything on the display section, and turn off my wifi if I am not actively using it.  that seems to help some.  but what it means is that I just basically have a phone (not a smart phone)

Also, I am not getting any emails on updates to this community.  How do I set that up?

Thanks

Bev

Highlighted
Journeyman

thanks JaSHerai.  Hope the fix is soon.

Highlighted
Master

Bev,

Thank you for getting back to us on that. Screen brightness and having GPS enabled will also drain the battery so you may want to adjust those settings. As my previous teammates have mentioned, once a fix is available from Samsung, it will be automatically pushed to your device. In regards to setting up email notifications, when signed into Community, in the upper right hand corner below Sign Out and next to your user name, there will be a drop down where you can update your notifications from. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Audrey

Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't see "notifications from" 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am anxiously waiting for my contract to end. The responses from Sprint support have been the "company line" variety. I used to love my s3,but its become a joke. Not only did I have to wait for the 4G service (took only about 14 months into my contract), but it's not reliable in my area. I'm sure the fix for our battery probs will come just as my contract expires.

Sprint support, please don't respond to this. The money I've spent hasn't matched the service of my phone. What a shame! I'll look elsewhere.

Highlighted
Master

1slapshot9

I'm sorry that you've had this experience and I don't want to see you go. I understand that you don't want a response and I don't want to frustrate you, but the nature of our department is to respond to these posts. We are here to help, so if you change your mind and would like our help, please let us know.

Regards,

Robin
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I've done a little troubleshooting since, like the rest of you, I'm having the same issues. It seems that, at least for me, the problem is stemming from location services. Whether in high accuracy mode or GPS only, when location is on both my S3 and my finances seem to constantly search and the battery will drop 50% in a matter of a couple hours just laying on the desk with the screen off. I did a full factory reset on both phones after the upgrade just to make sure I had a "clean install". Turning location off completely seems to fix the problem...at least for our phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, having same issue on my S3 since updating to 4.4.2...  "Android System" is using far more battery than ever before.  Between that and "Android OS", using almost 50% when "Screen" used to account for far and away most of the battery usage. Stumbled upon this article that mentions an update to 4.4.3 is coming for S4 and S5 with fixes for the known battery drain issue but not S3:

http://www.thewestsidestory.net/2014/04/04/9537/samsung-galaxy-s4-note-3-get-android-kitkat-4-4-3-up...

Hoping S3 will be fixed as well.  I used to have 50% battery life left after a full day and now use 50% by lunchtime and need to recharge by 5:00.

Highlighted
Master

KitKrap – I can understand your concerns with battery life. These updates are pushed out by the manufacturer, in this case Samsung, and not Sprint therefor we do not have any information regarding if the S3 will receive the update. Here are a few things you can try to help preserve battery life on your phone http://bit.ly/1i9dHmU -AJ Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a S3.  My wife and daughter also have S3s.  After the update to 4.4.2, I too noticed that battery is taking very long to charge.  Once charged, it is draining very fast.  I thought it was just my phone.  A few days later, my wife and daughter got the update as well.  Same complains from them....

Battery taking too long to charge

Draining very fast once off the charger.

GPS keeps on searching for signal.

We have tried everything.  Nothing has helped.  I refuse to do a a factory reset.  Problem is with the update.  We have had nothing but problems with Sprint.  Should not have listened to friends.  I am glad our contract is almost over.  I will take my 5 lines else where.  Many options out there now.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat