cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery drain??

I got the update via download and ever since, my battery life is terrible. I need to charge it at least twice a day. Diagnostics thru Sprint zone shows high power usage by Android System and Android OS. Together they are using almost 35% of battery. Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix this?

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
Master

Hello Karim_Abdullah,

KitKat should help speed things up and extend the battery life. Samsung is aware of the problem and the patch to fix this will come from them.

Thanks, Sharon Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem with my S3.  I have bought a new battery, uninstalled apps, bought new chargers and nothing works!  Online right now with Samsung and they are just as useless as Sprint was.  I loved this phone until now.  I was ready to upgrade to the 5 but forget it!  iPhone here I come.  Samsung is awful!

Highlighted
Journeyman

SPRINT...........You see there is obviously an issue, as our Provider why aren't y'all SCREAMING to SAMSUNG and demanding they fix this issue.  You would then be the hero in this situation!!

If you were the first carrier to STAND-UP for your people and demand all S3 users be provided a refund, or be given a new phone without the latest update.

STAND UP for your PEOPLE  - SPRINT

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had my S3 for a little over 3 months and haven't had a fully charged battery in 2 weeks.I think this is awful.I have gone into the store and they told to get a new charger. I have done that and nothing has changed.But yet they just sent me a bill.Sprint this is ridiculous and you should see that this is a problem.Everyone is having the same problem.Just as soon as I can leave Sprint I will be leaving because I will not keep paying for a phone I can not use.

Highlighted
Master

soulfulstar,

I hate to hear about the current troubles you are having with the battery life of your S3. If this is a direct result related to the recent software update we are working closely with Samsung on a fix for this as quickly as possible.

Alex
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

FWIW and as always, you experience and mileage may vary .....

Reports over on Google are the latest version of Hangouts, v2.1, is causing a battery drain and Google is aware of the problem and working on a fix. I've uninstalled Hangouts and went back to using the stock messaging client and can confirm for me and my daughters that battery life went back to normal 14+ hours depending on usage, etc. I also noted that after the update, all of the Google services were re-enabled to sync. Maps, Contacts, Books, Movies, etc. I turned all but the ones I use off and this too helped.

So if you use Hangouts for SMS or for, well, hanging out, you might consider uninstalling the latest update or disabling all together.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey folks,

I have a Galaxy 4 and my battery drain is just as bad as yours.  I can't find this 4.4.3 that is supposed to fix everything and all I know is that with a full battery charge and having come from a full off so nothing is running I can go from 100% to 9% in about 2-21/2 hours with it just sitting on my desk.  It really bites! and I can't get sprint to do anything about it.  If anyone has any suggestions I am open to trying them............please.

Highlighted
Master

texasturtle11,

Sorry to hear your having issues. Have you already taken your phone into a service center? If so what did they say?

*Stephanie B
Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

Add me to the list of frustrated customers suffering from the battery drain and GPS issues. I travel a lot for work and spend lots of time in airports. A phone with crappy battery life is useless to me. I have done everything this thread suggests, and completed the Sprint battery life conservation steps linked to above. I loved my S3 prior to the update, and now don't trust it. The Sprint "we're working on it" responses are weak, and with no target date for a fix I'm about to give up and switch carriers. Get us a date and stop patronizing us with promises.

Highlighted
Master

paulk68,

I completely understand your frustrations. I see you have completed all the troubleshooting that has been suggested. were you able to stop at a service and repair center to have your device looked at?

Stephanie P
Social care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Why would I do that? As you (or other Sprint reps) stated above, it’s the KitKat update that’s the problem. The issue is identified, so Sprint will either fix it or not. All of the above suggestions only help to extend battery life a little. Waiting in line to talk to a bitter, overworked 20-something with poor communication skills who will likely just try all of the previously suggested configuration changes will not solve anyone’s problem. We need a date for the operating system fix, or to be told that none is coming. The rest are just marketing scripts and stall tactics.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

a date for a fix? you must be new to these forums..seeing as how the updates go from google to the manufacturer and then to sprint im going to go out on a limb and say if its currently being looked at then its a back and forth between sprint reporting the issue that is being seen to Samsung and then a bunch of back and forth testing and adjusting..at what point would a bug in a update be due to sprint?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat