cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery drain??

I got the update via download and ever since, my battery life is terrible. I need to charge it at least twice a day. Diagnostics thru Sprint zone shows high power usage by Android System and Android OS. Together they are using almost 35% of battery. Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix this?

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
Master

Depending on the age of the phone, you could expect to see updates anywhere from 1month to 12months plus. A newer phone will be at the earlier schedule, and older phone will be at the later schedule. The older the phone gets, the more it moves down the scale between updates.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Wizard

From the below posting, seems like the fix is to upgrade to an S5 from a carrier other than Sprint.

Seems there are far more reports of Sprint S5 issues than others. I too have an S3, just have not installed KK mainly due my track record with Sprint phone updates.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

normally people run into less issues with updates if they do a reset of their phone and THEN do the update..but depending on the phone this can be a pain in the arse which is why so many people dont do this..this is however how the updates are tested on the phone originally...bare bones with only the built in apps..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

its more of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  My S3 is working fine, so I didn't want to chance a bad update and render my smartphone useless. Now if I can only endure another 5 months of dropped calls before switching service.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

in this case i would hold off until you know for sure a update has came out to fix any known issues that might have come on the last update..i hold off usually a week or 2 after a update to see what all bugs might have come in and then judge from there if its worth it or not to do it..pros and cons..been doing it this way for years now..has yet to fail me.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

Exactly. Definitely not worth the risk since my phone is functioning to my satisfaction, full day per charge. Probably won't update at all and just reach my contract expiration.

Highlighted
Master

That's almost what I do. I usually apply the update, then hard reset it.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
GrandMaster

you do it after?

Highlighted
Master

Yeah. Most times the update is staring at me on the screen so I back everything up, install the update, hard reset then restore my stuff.

If I know the update is coming today, then I do that ahead of time and apply the update after the hard reset. But when was the last time that happened? 

--

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know the problem and Sprint is not doing anything about it. For fireguy, most of us if we get a request for us to update on our phones then we update it, we do not know that it is going to damage our phones afterall it's our providers phones that are telling us it is needed.

So.. I have been with sprint for almost four years by the way, had ins. the whole time too. About 3 months ago my S3 phone told me there was a update, so I did. Big mistake. Ever since my phone battery drains rapidly, example I had my phone at 100% battery a hour ago now its s at 62%. Even if it is plugged in it dies if you use it. I do not have many apps installed, I know I dont have anything draining it other then the cause of the update. I recently called sprint they told me to bring it to the service store, I did. I arrived, was told It will take 1hour. I came back after 1hour the service tech told me the battery was fine BUT ever since samsung sent out the last update that it messed up the battery life of S3 phones. The tech said the update is making S3 phones run like S4 phones draining the battery. The tech said till samsung creates a new update to fix the issue there is nothing I can do. I said what am I supposed to do leave it plugged in all the time, the tech said yeah pretty much. Nice so now I have a phone that if I try to say go to disneyland or the beach or drive out of town to my parents for dinner and lets say I want to take some pictures while doing any of those thing you can guarantee I will have a dead phone before im done doing any of those things. NOT a happy customer right here..

Highlighted
Wizard

Whenever I get a new phone I always expect that eventually the battery draining fast is going to be an issue whether it's from a bad update or just over time. So I've started using spare batteries with external battery chargers. That's at least one of the advantages of some Android phones over something like an iPhone. For my S3 I got a really good deal on 2 spare batteries and a charger from Gorilla Gadgets. The batteries are 2300 mah each vs. 2100 on the stock battery and they DO last longer. So now I always have a charged battery or 2 waiting when the one in my phone is dying and of course I can take a charged spare with me if needed. Anker is another good brand. Just something to think about.

Highlighted
Master

jc79,
I appreciate your loyalty with us. I completely understand where you are coming from. It is one of the most annoying thing to have a problem that seems irresolvable. I want to check for any other option. I want to try my best to turn this around for you. Please send us an email with your pin, account pin or security answer, and a link to this post. The emails are responded to in the order they are received but should not exceed 24 hours. Looking forward to making you a happy customer.
Rayon
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat