cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Sprint version of the Galaxy Siii support GLONASS GPS?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does the Sprint version of the Galaxy Siii support GLONASS GPS?

Does the Sprint version of the s III support GLONASS GPS as well as American GPS? I cannot find that info on Sprint's provided specs.  However Phone Arena only shows the T-Mobile and AT&T versions as supporting this.  Just trying to make sure this phone will be able to lock on a GPS location better than my Nexus S 4G 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Master

Re: Does the Sprint version of the Galaxy Siii support GLONASS GPS?

I can not answer that question for you at this time.  I had to look up what Glonass was.  The hardware in the phone and how it will work is done by the manufacture of the device.  I am not sure what changes if any have to be made when going from the gsm  radios  to the cdma ones. 

Journeyman

Strictly speaking, GLONASS (Russian GNSS system similar to American GPS) will not enable your phone to have a more accurate position.

It is inferior to GPS in accuracy, so in clear skies your position will be no better.

GLONASS will, however, help with reliability.  It will allow positioning when you cannot see all the necessary GPS satellites, such as in the middle of some skyscrapers.

Journeyman

As a mere user I'd presume so. The S3 uses a BCM47511 from Broadcom (same as in the Galaxy Note) which supports GLONASS if enabled[1]. ICS has the computational part down, for sure, at least in the Google AOSP sources.

[1] http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=s548713

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat