ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GS3 Jelly Bean update - software or firmware?

Highlighted
Journeyman

GS3 Jelly Bean update - software or firmware?

Just checked the system update page on my GS3, and there is an active link for each of the following: PRL, Profile, Samsung Software and Firmware.

I'm not concerned about either the PRL or the Profile.  My question is which do I select first? the Software update or the Firmware update?  I've been seeing references to the update as both "software" and "firmware" in discussions about this update, seems people are using the terms interchangeably, but they are obviously two different things.  Sprint "instructions" simply tell you how to look on your phone to determine if you have an update available, then say enjoy your new software. 

So which is it?? Or does it matter which order I choose?

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

Re: GS3 Jelly Bean update - software or firmware?

Software is the Android operating system. Firmware is the code for the specific hardware components. Some would say that is software too. In this case the software check is for Android or any other software Samsung is pushing out. It does not matter what order you check and should not be a reason for concern.

Journeyman

Click system update. .if it says system already updated that means the update is not available. When the update is available you will get a notification.

Journeyman

If you wanted to, you can update manually by going to the following page:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2202175&page=145

(scroll down to post 1446)

Download the zip file to your sd card and then turn the phone off.

Hold down volume up, home button, and power until you see the blue text in the upper left corner

Use the volume down button to highlight the option - apply update from external storage and then press the power button to select that option.

Use the volume down to highlight the zip file and then press the power button to select it.

The update will be applied and the phone will restart once it's done.

There are still bugs in the update though. For some reason, notifications are coming up after the software has been updated and supposedly there is a bluetooth bug.

Journeyman

Thanks for the link. Downloaded and installed without a hitch. Did loose root access but no big deal. Haven't had a real need for root access

Journeyman

Will I loose any info on my phone if I do it manually?

Journeyman

In theory, no. Because it's the ota file. However your mileage may vary and you should always backup what you can and make sure your contacts are sync'd with gmail, etc. Only thing I lost was root access. No apps or anything else were lost.

Journeyman

Thanks for you reply.

Journeyman

Awesome upgrade went smoothly no issues, thanks.

Journeyman

How long should the manual update take?

Journeyman

I didn't actually time the update, but I don't think it took more 15 minutes to actually install. Downloading the file took about 20 minutes or so.

Journeyman

Worked perfectly!!! Took about 15 mins the new features were hyped tho..nothing too much to rave about but maybe I will get galaxy gear now lol

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat