cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S III SD card issues

Journeyman

Galaxy S III SD card issues

I'm on my third SD card.  I no longer save pictures or anything else I want to keep to the SD card since it's failed on me twice.  The phone 'kills' the SD card and you can no longer access anything on that card.  I've even tried reformatting and even after that the card is still inoperative.  What gives?  Anyone else have this issue?  I've had the phone since December '12 and I'm certain it's still under warranty.

11 REPLIES 11
GrandMaster

Re: Galaxy S III SD card issues

did you reformat it through a computer or through the phone itself? and what exactly does it do? does it say a file is corrupt and it unmounted itself? are the pics still on the sd card if you pull it out of the phone and put it into a computer?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

NCCOOKIE1,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your SD card. I also have a Galaxy SIII but have not experienced this issues with my sd card. Is all three sd cards the same brand?

Morris L.

Sprint Social Media Care

Wizard

fireguy_6364,

As always, thanks for your assistance on our community forum. Your helpful advice always appreciated.

Morris L.

Sprint Social Media Care

Journeyman

All three cards were different brands and capacity.  What happens is that after a while (which may take a month) when I try to access pictures in the SD card under Gallery, it locks up and I have to wait until the App shuts down.  I lost all the pictures I had in the first SD card that I lost and regularly backed up the pictures since then.  I can't reformat the SD card while on the phone (it asks for a password) or outside the phone on a PC.  The SD card is basically dead and can't access or save anything to it.  Is it time to call customer service for a replacement phone?

GrandMaster

i have never heard of a phone asking for a pw in order to reformat a sd card..this would be a new one to me.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

NCCOOKIE1,

Thanks for getting back to us. I would recommend at this time to visit one of our Service and repair centers to have an authorized technician look into this for you. To locate the closest repair shop in your area, please visit Sprint Store Locator

Morris L.

Sprint Social Media Care

Journeyman

You need to format the SD card from your phone, pretty much any name brand card will work fine.

Highlighted
Journeyman

NCCOOKIE1,

Just wanted to follow up with you and make sure you were able to take your phone in to a Service and Repair center to find the root of the problem with your SD cards. Let me know when you get a chance.

Thank you,

*Audrey

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

My SIII has been randomly un-mounting and remounting my SD card lately - I had this happen a few years back on an older Samsung phone when a bad Android update went through.  Has something been updated lately that may be causing this?  I also have had to remove the battery the last 2 mornings, after charging it overnight, as the phone is unresponsive (hit buttons but nothing comes up even though the phone is turned on).  Any ideas?

Kelli

Master

KellzIA,

Thank you for letting us know about this. The most recent update for the Galaxy S3 was the Kit Kat update. Did this start after installing that update? How long has this been going on? Have you taken your phone to a service and repair store to have a technician check it out? You can find one nearby at sprint.com/storelocator

Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
GrandMaster

the only time i have ran into a sd card mounting and unmounting itself was when the sd card was starting to go...and when some of its files ended up being corrupt..usually if you save all the data and reformat the sd card it will be fine..well unless its on its last leg..

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat