cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S3 Group Text

Master

Re: Galaxy S3 Group Text

JVhairston,

Thanks for reaching out. I am here to assist. Are you using a 3rd party messaging app? Unfortunately, We will not let a customer out of contract for this sort of issue. I would advise taking the device to a service location to have it looked at and calling Samsung to see if this is a known issue for them.

Sean L
Social Care

Journeyman

I don't know what you mean can you elaborate please?

Master

starlite1926,

Thanks for the post. I thing what Sean meant was are you using the messaging app that came on the device or did you download a new app for messaging.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Thank you techman!!! Exactly what I've been needing.

Journeyman

I have a S3 and my group messaging is not working properly.  I can send group messages but when people reply it comes back as individual text messages.  Also if someone sends me a group message I can not reply to everyone I have to do it as individual messages and it does not show up in their group message either.  I am currently running 4.3.

Any help you can give is appreciated because this because time consuming.

Thanks

Wizard

The following information is for the stock messaging app.

Just so I can keep terms defined

Group Text - Text message sent to multiple users as a normal text message and replies are only seen by the originator of the message. Recipients will not be able to tell this was sent to multiple people.

Group Message - Multimedia message sent to multiple users where user's can reply to all, but if the reply is sent as just a text message (not a Multimedia message), only the originator will see the response. Recipients can tell this was sent to multiple people.

With that said, in situations where people have sent a Group Message and some replies came back to the group and others went to just the originator, this is because the person who replies may not have Group Messaging enabled or don't have that capability (for whatever reason).

If you have an S3 with the 4.3 update, it should be enabled by default (from with the Messaging App --> Menu Button --> Settings --> MMS Settings --> enable "Group messaging").

Any messages that are sent to multiple from this point forward will be as a Group Message vs a Group text.

You can tell if the message is a Group Message.  To do this, open the message, the top line will show all the recipients and the second line should say "Group messaging".  If you reply to this message it will go to everyone.

Master

halldl02,

Thank you for the reply explaining the difference between group text and group messaging and how to tell the two apart when sending and receiving messages.  I believe that post, aith the information provided on how to activate and deactivate different messaging types, will help to clarify many of the issues that peope are encountering.  Thank you.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Master

@Matty_A

It has been some time since your last post. I wanted to follow up with you to see if you were still having the same issues with the group text messages. Please let us know if you are still in need of assistance.

Omar

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Thanks halldl02.  Every 2 weeks I send a group message out to people that order salsa from me.  I always have to tell them in the text to not reply to the group because people get annoyed with that, understandably.  This was on handcent and I couldn't figure out how to fix that issue so I have continued to put the don't reply instruction in the text.

handcent crashed on my yesterday and I decided to go with the original app.  After reading this, I will not "check" the box next to group messaging in settings, which will make it a group text and I will be the only one to see the reply?

Wizard

That is correct.  It is very easy to test, just send it to a couple of people near you and see the results as they reply.

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @Em_Will_I_Am, and we'll check it out!