cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S3 - No service when charging while roaming

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S3 - No service when charging while roaming

Before I begin, note that I have been working with a Sprint Technician over the phone to help resolve this issue. Since then I have come up with some interesting observations.

When I called the Sprint tech about this issue - he suggested updating profile when I had service. That didn't help at all. It got me better roaming service when not connected to the charger (one bar up to three bars) but I still lost service when I plugged in.

I did some experiments to help find the root of this and here are some of my observations:

Phone placement does not matter. -- Type of charger does not matter (AC inverter or regular charger) -- Which vehicle I'm in doesn't matter (this happens in both of my vehicles) -- If I unplug the USB cable from the charger, I get service back immediately -- If I leave the cable plugged in but pull the charger out of the outlet, I don't get service back, but as soon as I remove the charger from the equation, there''s service again.

I'm very confused as to why this is happening. It's a very frustrating issue considering that a phone is a pretty important part of my job. It's not mandatory, but there's just certain information we can't transmit over the two-way radios. (Speaking of which, those have no effect on the issue, either, I've tried unplugging the one I use from my car to no avail)

When I plug the phone in to charge it when I have regular Sprint service, I have no issues whatsoever.

The Sprint tech told me that this is actually a fairly common issue, so these are just my observations to maybe help find a solution. If anyone has a solution, let me know.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Wizard

Hello FlightSimBoy,

That is a very strange issue. It makes me wonder if there is some kind of interference at the same frequency as the cell tower. I would like to talk to my development team to see if I can find out some more information about this. Would you have some time to chat about this if they come back with any questions? If you would, please send me a Private Message with you Sprint phone number and we can track this interesting situation down.

Thank you,

Chris

Highlighted
GrandMaster

personally i would think that there is a short somewhere in the cable itself. only test you can really do is to use another cable and see if it still does it..somehow the cable sounds like its grounding out. maybe a bent pin

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
GrandMaster

wait..a fairly common issue? to be honest ..in all the time i have been in these forums...everywhere...this would be the first time i have  EVER seen this posted..ever

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

According to the tech I spoke to on the phone, he said it was a common issue. I guess not? haha.

Anyway. I have tried different cables. Four in fact. The one that originally came with my HTC Evo from 2 years ago. The one that came with the S3 just last week. And two from two seperate car chargers that I have. All produce the same problems. I'm wondering, though, if in fact it was a short like that, wouldn't there be problems when I have regular service as well?

You may have just opened up a new probability - it's the phone. Not sure how I would test that, though, considering I'm limited as to what I can do while I'm at work.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

hrm..unless it has something to do with a rogue app or again maybe a short somehow in the phone itself that is affecting how it is reading receptin im really not sure..worse case scenario do a FR (factory reset)( you will lose ALL your current information except contacts that are saved to your google account) but it will at least show you if its a app related issue or if its the phone itself..actually one of the techs in here can tell you how to load your phone into safe mode...it basically shuts down all your apps except the ones that came with the phone..then try again with charging it in different locations and see what it does.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I might have to try that safe mode thing next time I'm out at work. It's funny I don't have full service at work considering it's only 30 or so miles from a pretty major city and on top of a mountain. I had to deal with roaming with my Evo, too, so it's not really an issue.

Only thing I have been doing is making sure it is completely charged by the time I get to my post at work, then (with my constant usage) it will start begging for juice between 10 and midnight. So I'll plug it in and from then on out I unplug it about every hour to make sure I haven't had any missed calls or texts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Update - I tried using an actual wall outlet at work to charge my phone. It still dropped service. So obviously no interference from my car or other equipment that I'm using.

This is getting to be an issue. The only thing I can do is make sure my phone is fully charged, go to my post, unplug it, and let it almost die, charge it for a bit, unplug it, rinse and repeat. My battery stayed between 5% and 15% last night because I needed to use my phone.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

have you had a chance to take it into a repair store to have them give it a once over? take the cable and plug as well so they can also check those while theyre at it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went to a Sprint store today and may have an answer.  It is the network.

I have been dealing with this issue with a brand new Galaxy S3 I ordered on Thanksgiving.  I live in the sticks.  Before I had an older flip phone with no camera that I could leave (plugged in) on the counter and it would catch a roaming signal so I could send and receive texts.

I couldn't figure out why the Galaxy would not do the same.  Then reliazed whenever it was plugged in, to a car, USB, or wall, it lost the 3G signal I get here.  Unplug it, signal comes right back.  WiFi continues to work when charging.

Sprint had me pull the battery and reprovision the phone. Their tech could not find any mention of the issue although there are two threads, here. (http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/502898#502898 - the other one)

Neither helped.  In fact I had to drive 30 miles to a stronger signal to get the reprovision to work.  He told me if that didn't work to go to a store. (90 miles away)

Samsung support "Was unaware of the issue." and did not provide any advice whatsoever.

I scheduled a repair appointment and drove to a store today.  Imagine my astonishment as I watched the tech plug it into USB and the wall, and send and receive texts with the device on 3G.

It is the network where you live, work, whatever.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

its to much of a coincidence though that it fails once its plugged in to charge though...and then corrects itself once its unplugged...to me that doesnt sound like its network related..to be honest it sounds like plugging it in is somehow causing interference and or a short somehow..for the life of me i  can only think of the pins within the plug itself or on the phone side..if the same thing happens on multiple cords then its still pointing towards the phone itself..

to eliminate the network being the problem i would drive around or pay closer attention while driving around..if your signal is fine but as soon as you plug it in it drops again then there is your answer..

Highlighted
GrandMaster

did they use the same exact cord as you do or one they had there?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat