cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S3 - Youtube, Pandora, streaming over 3G not working, only on Wi-Fi

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S3 - Youtube, Pandora, streaming over 3G not working, only on Wi-Fi

I've not been able to stream Youtube Videos or Pandora over 3G on my Galaxy S3 since the LG8 update. Youtube simply shows "Connection to server lost. Touch to retry" as soon as its about to play video. If I touch the video area to try retry, the video area flicks for a fraction of a second to the spinning circle that indicates buffering and the same error message comes up again. It's obvious to me that the connection is not even being attempted by how fast its doing this. Meanwhile the bottom area of the Youtube app, that shows related videos and stuff for you to jump on, gets populated fine, which tells me that connection to the internet is working. It is just the actual streaming that is failing.

If I try Pandora, it simply speeeds buffer from song to song, meaning the song thats supposed to be played comes up, and a second later it goes for the next one, and on and on. It's never able to actually buffer and play the music. So again, judging by how fast the cycling of the songs is happening its obvious to me that the connection attempt is broken.

Both apps work fine when the phone is connected via WI-FI. The problem ONLY HAPPENS when using Sprint's Network. Other Internet related tasks, like email or web browsing are working under 3G. It seems only the streaming of things like Youtube, Pandora and the likes is the only thing broken. This tells me clearly that it is a problem with the way Sprint has the S3 configured. I gave my mom my previous phone (a Nexus S) and I can have both phones side by side. The Nexus S plays Youtube fine while the S3 fails. When is Sprint going to acknowledge this issue?

Things I've done (countless times by now).

1.Update PRL (to no end)

2. Update Profile (same)

3. Gone to the Youtube app and cleared cache and data, force close the app, taken out battery.

4. I finally caved in and did a phone Factory Data Reset. After the phone came back up from it, Youtube worked as soon as I tried. Then it stopped working with the above-mentioned behavior again.

If this doesn't get permanently fix I'm going to drop Sprint as I'm not getting the service functionality I'm paying for. I'm fed up with the situation.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S3 - Youtube, Pandora, streaming over 3G not working, only on Wi-Fi

I am having the same exact problem!!! Talked to sprint 4 times now and they insist its my phone and not them. Theres nothing they can do about it either and they refuse to work with me. I just signed a new contract 2 months ago but am ready to go somewhere else after 10 years because time and time again they REFUSE to acknowledge that they have any part in our phones being screwed up. Make us wait months if not forever for fixes to these issues. This is bullshit, not getting the service I am paying for. I WILL NOT be paying my ETF either, I'll see them in court before I pay them for something they screwed up.

Highlighted
Wizard

Are those the only apps that aren't working while on 3G? 

I know this looks like a dumb question, but it needs to be asked becasue we won't know otherwise, are Youtube, Pandora, etc all updated and using the latest versions?

I have the update and I stream Pandora all the time over 3G.

It everything is updated and only those apps are having trouble, maybe see what Samsung has to say.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After much troubleshooting and researching and speaking with Sprint I have finally figured out why these apps arent working. But no fix or cause. My 3g suddenly started running too slow to use anything. I'm currently seeing speeds about half of dial up internet in every area i go not just where i live and work. There is also no difference between times of day either. There is not a single moment that the speed gets any better either.  Sprint has assured me theres nothing wrong and all towers are fine. My area is also not being updated which i read can cause temporary slow speeds. Too bad im just stuck with it. thankfully I work for Best Buy and they are going to give me a new phone to try so hopefully that will work. even though there's no reason for mine to start doing this instantly...i didnt install/update/change a single thing on my phone and have never dropped it. If a new phone does the same thing i am breaking contract as i cannot handle sprints practices anymore. They are up to some shady stuff these last 2 years.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is the network, I had the original EVO 4G which I had to wait almost a year into my contract using 3G, then once their WiMAX 4g was set up and still works great my phone started having problems, sprint told me it was because my phone was 2 years old.....like that means these phones go bad after 2 years, their solution buy a new phone.  So 200.00 later and a New 2 year contract, I now have an EVO 4g LTE and no LTE service and since they have put so much into setting up their LTE network 3g has suffered and is way worse.  I have spent countless hours on the phone with sprint, on hold for almost an hour once to escallate to a manager.  They have replaced my new EVO LTE once because they continue to "look up" the towers near me and they show operational and yes I'm connected to it with 3g but whatever they haven't done or have done my 3g speeds are topping out at 5kbps yes less than the original dial up speeds, my signal strength is around 60% and -105db(which is bad).  I had them open a ticket on the tower and suprise suprise this morning I was pulling 512kbps from the same location and same tower...........I thought it was solved big smile..........then mid day...........what a shocker 2kbps and no more since.  They through troubleshooting keep telling me its my phone trying to replace it again when I went through 3 original evos and now two EVO LTE's and I had everyone I could find in my office who had sprint pull up 3g and try play store or any data app and they all timed out.  It is not the device its the network proof is I can take my device to an area that has service and get great data speeds, and the same tower that has poor data miraculously went from single digit kbps to .5mbps and then back again.  Seriously something needs to be done abecause I'm sitting here logically saying $350.00 is worth the piece of mind to go to (unnamed well don't have to name them because hmmmmm any other carrier near me has LTE) instead of paying 1,500.00 for a year of a phone that gets single digit data transfer rates until sprint can join the now (its called everybody else but you) network.

Highlighted
Wizard

JHBORICUA,

If standard browsing is working just fine but streaming services are unable to load, I would be concerned about your device's connection speed.  If you go to the Google Play store and download the Speedtest.net application and run the speed test.  If you could provide me with your download and upload speed, this would be very helpful.  Also, if the speeds themselves are slow, I'd appreciate if you could provide me with your city, state and nearest cross streets so I can review your location.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Highlighted
Wizard

MISNONAME82 wrote:

After much troubleshooting and researching and speaking with Sprint I have finally figured out why these apps arent working. But no fix or cause. My 3g suddenly started running too slow to use anything. I'm currently seeing speeds about half of dial up internet in every area i go not just where i live and work. There is also no difference between times of day either. There is not a single moment that the speed gets any better either.  Sprint has assured me theres nothing wrong and all towers are fine. My area is also not being updated which i read can cause temporary slow speeds. Too bad im just stuck with it. thankfully I work for Best Buy and they are going to give me a new phone to try so hopefully that will work. even though there's no reason for mine to start doing this instantly...i didnt install/update/change a single thing on my phone and have never dropped it. If a new phone does the same thing i am breaking contract as i cannot handle sprints practices anymore. They are up to some shady stuff these last 2 years.

MISNONAME82,

Thank you for sending me this information.  I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with streaming services on your device.  If you've determined that you are experiencing slow data on your device, I'd be interested in your exact download and upload speeds.  Also, your city, state and cross streets would also be helpful so that I can review your area for possible known issues.  If your device is replaced and you experience the same issue, please share this information so we can resolve your issue ASAP.  If replacing the device DOES fix the issue, please let us know as well. 

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Fergie,

I am experiencing VERY similar issues with my S3. My partner (on a separate contract) has a Sprint hotspot in our apartment and my phone still breaks up horribly when  trying to make a phone call; my office is about an hour away from my house and I experience data and streaming issues there as well. It has gotten to the point where I am nearly completely unable to use data on my phone, although significantly less obvious issues with Chrome (though I rarely use it). Oddly, I have very high data usage on my phone even though I've been having problems since I bought the phone. The above thread sounds exactly what I am going through - it is very troubling and upsetting to never be able to use such a great phone. Can you please help?

thanks,

Deanna

Highlighted
GrandMaster

that would be my guess for the OP as well. worst case scenario you guys can also download either the speedtest.net app or even the opensignal app..personally i like the open signal one better..one of the choices in there will actually show which tower youre connecting too..helps narrow down the issues for when you report them.

MISNONAME82 wrote:

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

Deanna,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing so many issues with streaming data on your device.  You mentioned that you have less of an issue through your Chrome browser.  Can I tell you what other applications you seem to be experiencing issues with?

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat