Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy s3 SPH-L710 VPUCMK3 KitKat 4.4 update.

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy s3 SPH-L710 VPUCMK3 KitKat 4.4 update.

Hi for months I have been anticipating the Android Kitkat 4.4 update on the Galaxy s3. A couple days ago it was announced that the update would be releasing on sprint. I was excited until I found out it was for the L710vpucnd8 (different version of galaxy s3) only. My question is will it ever be released for the sph-l710 vpucmk3? That is the version of my phone (which runs on jellybean 4.3) and I would really appreciate it if someone responded. Thank you and have a nice day!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy s3 SPH-L710 VPUCMK3 KitKat 4.4 update.

I'm afraid you misread the update.

The S3 will go FROM mk3 to L710vpucnd8

You will get the update.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Master

hodoriscool We are always excited about new releases for phones and software. Unfortunately, software updates are released by the manufacturer, not by Sprint. You can always access Samsung.com for future information.

Stacy
Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm afraid you misread the update.

The S3 will go FROM mk3 to L710vpucnd8

You will get the update.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Really?  I'm confused. I guess all I can be right now is happy that im getting the update. Thanks for the info!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Each version on the phone is a different number. If you look at http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Samsung_Galax...

you will notice version numbers, and what they include. So for example, L710VPUCMK3 was the software version code for 4.3 for the S3 for Sprint, and L710VPUCND8 refers to the kit kat update for Sprint's S3

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok that makes sense. Is there a link out there so I can manually download it? Or do I have to wait until I get the notification on my phone?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not too sure how keen Sprint is about links being posted, so I'll just say Google: "L710VPUDND8 ota" and you should be able to find links.

The only reason I myself am waiting for the prompt despite having access to the prompt is because for the 4.3 update, I sideloaded the update, and on my old phone,I was rooted after a year so I got my updates through a developer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

so basically I miss these prompts 😞

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ohh that sucks:(. Do you recomend that I download the link or wait for it on my phone? And I also heard this is the last gs3 update.

Journeyman

You could do either one. I have not heard any I'll effects to the ota zip you could find online. After all, they got it by getting the link file from the prompt notification.

As for this being the last update, Android version-wise, yes. Google recommends devices get software updates for 18 months, and the s3 for Sprint was released the end of June 2012 (the 21st technically), so it's almost 2 years. I believe the s3 is still getting this update because it is still really popular.

If you really wanted, you could root it, this way you can keep up to date with software updates by developers.

I can't really say I agree with the 18 month support, but sadly there's nothing I nor anybody else who disagrees with it can do.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat