cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I fix my charging port on my Galaxy S III if Sprint won't do it even do it if I'm under warranty?

Highlighted
Journeyman

How can I fix my charging port on my Galaxy S III if Sprint won't do it even do it if I'm under warranty?

My Galaxy S III phone charger port is broken so I went to a Sprint store to see if they would fix it because I was still under warranty. The woman told me that she couldn't fix it because it had "physical damage". There is nothing else wrong with my phone besides the charging port. No scratches or anything. Is there some type of second hand shop I can get it fixed for free or for like less than $50. Someone please help.

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Journeyman

Damn this is the 3rd post in 3 days that I have seen someone have an issue with repair centers.  The repair centers must have gone downhill since I went to one last.  Every time that I have gone to the repair center near me (North San Diego county CA) they fixed my issue and I wasn't charged. broken screens, charging port on the phone and misc issues.  I am thinking that Sprint must have done something, so the "repair" centers won't "repair" what is covered.  I am sorry that you are having issues like this.  Reading stuff like this wants me to leave them even more and I have been with them for 12 years now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

StantonCoh20144,

I hear you. I understand your frustration. Unfortunately if the charging port is broken that is not covered under service and repair, it is considered physical damage. This leave three options, you can file an insurance claim, take it to a third party repair center on contact the manufacturer directly. We do not have pricing information for third party stores. You may want to call and get information.  If you have insurance you can go to www.phoneclaim.com/sprint to file a claim. Let me know if this helps or you have any other questions.

Laura,

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
GrandMaster

the charging port is considered a wear item though..which wouldnt be covered under warranty..it would end up having to be replaced by asurain or if anything possibly sent in to the manufacturer to be fixed.

and agreed on the repair centers..they used to be able to replace quite a few things..all that is pretty much out the window now and they can only troubleshoot the phones and do some of the remedial things..no actual repairs.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

How long has this been in effect?  I know that a few years ago I was able to go to the repair center and they would fix the phone.  Broken screen or broken charging port.  Is this all repair centers or just a few?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

all from what im understanding. you might end up at one that will go that extra mile and replace a screen..only problem is with the new devices most centers havent even had the training to do anything to them yet..this has been in affect for a while now..they used to be able to swap out screens on the phones if they had those hot spots that popped up from time to time..nadda now..ESPECIALLY on the newer phones...even the OEVO is no longer able to get a screen swap..and its a safe bet just about all the repair stores have access to spare parts for those phones lol

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Any resolution to this?  We just had the same thing happen (older phones though), and I am P*SSED that they want an extra $150 on top of the $11/month "insurance".  We've had these phones for over a year, that means at $11/month plus the $150, it will cost over $300 for a used phone.  For that price, I will shop elsewhere for better service and protection.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

you'll be paying the same amount for a used phone through another carrier as well..they pretty much all use asurian for their insurance.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ma'am did you get a solution to your problem because I am very upset, the same thing has happened to me recently, Ive had my galaxy s3 phone for less than a year, and the charger port is already broken and Samsung won't fix it, then when I sent it to them to fix they voided my warranty and said it was damaged, if the problem is internal how could I possibly have caused the problem, I read many forums about people with the same problem so it's obviously a problem with this phone, my phone has absolutely no external damage and insurance wants to charge me $150-$200 for a replacement...this makes no sense to me

Highlighted
GrandMaster

no matter the phone there will always be a big amount of people reporting their charging port being broken..figure it like this..that small little connector is only mounted inside directly to your board..so any side to side force or even up or down force will weaken it and eventually break it...over a period of time of using the phone while its plugged in to charge and having that cable being pulled one way or another is what ends up doing it..most just dont notice what they are doing until its pointed out..not saying NOT to use your phone while its plugged in..just saying watch out for how youre holding it...you'll catch yourself from time to time and see what im talking about.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not talking about another phone, samsung s3 in general charger ports seems to break easily, like in months, researched and saw numerous similar complaints to my situation, if you were to read hundreds of other people's phones messing up in months that is an internal problem, but of course I'm being made to pay for it

GrandMaster

doesnt matter the phone.they ALL have that wimpy lil connector down there which isnt exactly the strongest to begin with. if you truly feel this is a phone specific ordeal then contact samsung direct..they made the phone after all..sprint only sold it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat