cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I fix my charging port on my Galaxy S III if Sprint won't do it even do it if I'm under warranty?

Master

Re: How can I fix my charging port on my Galaxy S III if Sprint won't do it even do it if I'm under warranty?

Watchem,

I understand your frustration. Have you had the battery checked? Do you have insurance? This can be caused by many things. It may be the chargers or the battery itself. A service and repair store can run tests and diagnostics on the device to determine what the cause may be, just make sure to bring in the phone and charger. Keep in mind the battery, charging cables, and charging port are not covered under service and repair. You can also file a claim on your device by going to www.phoneclaim.com/sprint.

-- Laura,
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: How can I fix my charging port on my Galaxy S III if Sprint won't do it even do it if I'm under warranty?

MMW98 hit on it above:  Although it is not the optimal solution, you can buy a couple of cheap batteries and an external charger on eBay.  Keep the spare batteries charged and swap them into the phone when needed.

GrandMaster

didnt they have at some point a charger for the samsung line that you just lay the phone on and it charges? no need to actually plug it in..im trying to remember where i read this but its been quite a while.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

They did have a power pad...not just for Samsung, but for any phone. Apparently they weren't as well recieved back in the day, and so many stores have stopped selling them. I know. I looked for them, as my S3 has also started having some issues.

It won't charge. Like a couple of people have pointed out...if you plug it in, it will make noises like it is connecting to charge...only it doesn't. I have literally watched a battery go from 45% down to 12% inside 30 minutes while plugged in. And it does this lovely trick with any and ALL the cords I have for the S3. I had a malfunctioning battery within the first year I owned it (it is now almost 2 years old), and so Samsung replaced both the battery and the charge unit (cord and adapter). After having the battery drain as fast as it did, I bought an external charger....now waiting back from manufacturer as to how to deal with a malfunctioning issue on that unit that stopped charging batteries. I have read maybe cleaning the port a bit will help, but I have also seen that issues like mine is a port issue, not a clean issue.

As a clarification, I didn't mistreat the cord or the phone while it was plugged in. My kids, the hazzards they are, yanked the phone off the charge cord shortly before it started this last round of issues...so chances are they kinda helped speed the end along.

Journeyman

I concur with all of these posts, and it's really disheartening to hear this.  My S3, and two I had before this, along with any Sprint phone that had a similar charging port, have had issues, and of course I would be careful after the first time, not pulling it out of the wall, disconnecting charger before talking on it, etc etc. All to no avail, because now I have my 3rd S3 and it won't charge.

I bought a rapid charger the first time and it worked great, for a few months, then all of a sudden I could tell the port was jacked up, because I had to make a creative loop to get it to stay connected to charge. I took it to the Sprint store where they threw it away, and sold me another Rapid Charger. That was a Saturday, Wednesday I was back and it wouldn't charge AT ALL.  I have a collection of chargers I've collected since I've been with sprint and had these issues, I tried every single one, and none will work.

I finally found the one that came with the phone, a USB charger, and it charges, but I can't even calculate the rate it's so slow. Something like 4 percent every hour. And if it's not connected, it gradually drains the battery completely, until within hours, even if you're not using the phone, it's at 0%.   I am going to look on amazon today for a battery, but why should I have to resort to that????? Since I am, can someone give me specifics about the external chargers/batteries?

My options were to buy a new phone S4 or S5 for astronomical prices, a new S3 for $130--which they don't have in stock, or use my insurance (have TEP) and get a new phone (which they don't tell you but I've experienced hey only give you a refurbished S3 because they say if there's anything newer, you can't get a new version of the phone you have) after a week of waiting with no phone.

And yet, Sprint still wants their monthly payment, when I can't get a few minutes of good service or charge. Grrrrrrrr

Master

KENNEDI7,

Thanks for posting. I can understand your frustration of having to get your phone or charger replaced. If you want to be able to get a new phone, have you tried to see if you're eligible for upgrade? Do you know about Sprint Easy Pay? With Sprint Easy Pay, you're able to get a new one without a contract. Here's more information, please visit sprint.com/easypay.

Marie
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Amazon has some great external chargers  for $10 or less. I looked up "S3 external battery chargers" and came up with them. I purchased one for a little over $5 including shipping. I know there was one on there that was close to $13, and it had an extra 3 batteries with it. I hope it helps!!

Journeyman

I think Samsung is making faulty phones. My son's phone was charging an hour before we went to the sprint store. Went there because u would have to play with the charger in order for it to charge. The charging port was there when we dropped it off, and mysteriously vanished when we went to get it. Had the phone 3 mos. Sounds fishy to me. Lots of people complain about their Samsung phones/sprint

Master

kiela,  From your description it definitely sounds like the port was loose and having a hard time making the connection necessary to get a charge.  Did the techs tell you that the port was actually missing and were they able to get it fixed? - Christy

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat