cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I fix my charging port on my Galaxy S III if Sprint won't do it even do it if I'm under warranty?

Highlighted
Journeyman

How can I fix my charging port on my Galaxy S III if Sprint won't do it even do it if I'm under warranty?

My Galaxy S III phone charger port is broken so I went to a Sprint store to see if they would fix it because I was still under warranty. The woman told me that she couldn't fix it because it had "physical damage". There is nothing else wrong with my phone besides the charging port. No scratches or anything. Is there some type of second hand shop I can get it fixed for free or for like less than $50. Someone please help.

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung has had issues with faulty charging ports for a long time...anyone remember the Samsung Moment??? However, with that said, I have seen many people who will pick up the phone from the floor from the cord, and others who play video games while the cord is still attached. and yet others that constantly plug and unplug their devices almost every second...is it surprising that the connector will fail? I have had several Samsung products (The Epic, and the S3) and the ports are as new as when the device was manufactured. A little care and less rough play goes a long way to protect these somewhat fragile ports...my Epic, now 4 years old still charges like a champ with no issues whatsoever.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have same issue.   Only certain chargers will charge my phone, most won't.   Its over a year but I think the Sprint store will change out the phone for $50 fee.  I brought them it prewarranty but did not want to pay the $50 - they were like you can go to Samsung directly and maybe they will fix it under warranty but that would have been a hassle.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I sent in my phone to samsung and they voided my warranty, and I try not to use my phone when it's charging, you're very fortunate that you're phone has lasted that long because I know three people with my phone who have the same problem as me, Samsung won't do anything, just a lesson learned, I came on here for a solution, all I'm seeing is it must somehow be my fault so pay up...as I said lesson learned

Highlighted
Journeyman

And sprint wants to charge me $200 for a replacement so it is an ordeal for sprint as well, I have no phone but I bet they still want their bill money

Highlighted
Master

Chaelle,

Hi there. I am sorry to hear that you are having these issues. To answer you question, if the charger has been inserted upside down, this can be a rather common issue. I know that on my S3, my niece got a hold of it and... well kids are toxic for phones. I understand your frustration with this and I apologize for the issues you are facing. I know that making an insurance claim can be a good option, but as you said, it is $150 for the deductible. This is a way to go about getting it fixed, but there are other options. You could get an external battery charger and use this. I did this for a while and got an extra battery with it to make the down time less of a strain. You also could contact a local Cell phone repair company as they may be able to help. I don't know what their prices would be, but it is an option. Please let me know if there is anything further I can help with. I am here for you.

*Andi R.

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Master

JMSILVER99,

Thanks for the post. Im sorry to hear your device is having this issue . Have you gone back to the store that offered you the swap out? Let us know what you decided to do?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm going to try to see what this repair place can do, but I don't have high hopes, I just figured if the samsung repair center said they can't fix it, then another place won't be able to either

Highlighted
Master

Chaelle,

I know it can be frustrating.  Let us know how the repair center goes, or if there is anything further we can do.

*Shannon

Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I read your post from Jan. about your Galaxy S3 phone's charge port being broken. The truth is that you were told it couldn't be repaired so that you would buy another phone. There are many small repair shops around that can repair the charge port. Another way to get around this is to buy a Qi (chee) WIFI charger. They can be very inexpensive and you don't have to rely on the charge port breaking.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There are a gazillion shops advertised online, but almost any true mobile electronics shop should be able to repair it pretty cheap.

Every Samsung I have ever owned, including the original S series, has had this charging port issue. Every. Single. One.

Why this has never been brought up as a class-action issue is beyond me.

At this point, I am using a damaged similar model Samsung phone, with a reasonably functioning charging port, as my charger; and swapping batteries daily.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel your pain.  People are replying that its to be expected and oh well.  My Galaxy S3 is only 2 MONTHS old and no charger works on it for more than a few minutes if I'm lucky; I have to hold it in a certain position to maybe get it to charge. I don't USE it while its charging, or grab it by the cord and swing it around the room or anything. 

I read many people reporting that they had this problem.  Even the rep at the Sprint store said these phones have an issue with the charging ports coming un-soldered inside.

I took it to the Sprint store I bought it from and they said I have to take it to a store in a different town where they have repair techs.  Okay fine, we'll see what happens. When I took my iphone there last year, they said they fixed it and didn't do a thing. It took three visits to get it done.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is exactly the same thing wrong with my S3. It will not charge on any of my chargers anymore except one and barely does that! I have never had a charging port issue in 11 years of using cell phones until I bought this phone. My phone is in Mint condition has always been in Otter Box. I drove an hour away to get to a Sprint Repair store and an hour home for them to tell me to send it to Samsung its still under warranty. I called them sent the phone in they void my warranty and say its Physical Abuse and sent it back to me. I have 5 Samsung chargers at home and it will only work on one old one and barely it will charge on and off and if my phone is on it will say its charging but actually its not it never goes any higher. Its very frustrating that I could have 2 warranties and I still have a broken phone. This is just absurd to me. Its clearly a huge issue with this phone and were stuck with the blame?? 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat