cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Force OTA Update of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on Samsung Galaxy S III without doing all the programming nonsense

Journeyman

How to Force OTA Update of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on Samsung Galaxy S III without doing all the programming nonsense

I found a way to force the OTA Update for Jelly Bean. Its actually quite simple, and it worked for me pretty quickly.

Step 1. Go into the settings menu on your phone and open the Application Manager. Now select the tab to see ALL of the applications

2. Look for "Google Services Framework" and click on it.

3. Press the Clear Data button, then click Force Stop, this will not hurt your phone or anything on it so dont worry! (If any of you are wondering about the Google Service Framework data clear, this is done because the Android update is sent out by Google, so when clearing the data and doing the force stop, it basically refreshes the current state and status of that service,  which in turn makes your phone basically look for any updates.)

4. Now go back to the Setting Menu and go and to the System update area and go to Update Samsung Software. The date at the top where it says "Date last checked" should be something like 12/31/1969, which means your phone is now prioritized to recieve the OTA Jelly Bean update message.

5. Click the Check now button to check for the update again, your phone should recieve the update message. You might have to go back and repeat this process a few times, clearing the data and forcing stop, I was only pressing clear data first the first 2 times I tried this, and checked for the update and nothing happened, but then when I went back pressed the force stop button for Google Services Framework, and re-checked for the update I got the update right away.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/force-ota-system-update-android-phone/  <---- This is the website I found saying how to get the Update.

and this is the screen you should get after you press Install now after recieving the update

Screenshot_2012-11-04-13-17-55.pngupdate.jpgupdate2.jpg

53 REPLIES 53
Journeyman

Re: How to Force OTA Update of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on Samsung Galaxy S III without doing all the programming nonsense

it actually worked..thanks for the info..had to do it twice..but it worked ...i only trust the OTA didnt want t risk bricking my phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: How to Force OTA Update of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on Samsung Galaxy S III without doing all the programming nonsense

Same here with the OTA,  I didnt feel like doing all that rooting non sense just to get a phone update.  This didnt sound like something that would work, but my phone got the update the first time I did it correctly. The updates are sent out at random according to serial number, clearing the google service thing makes your phone stop and resend out its serial number forcing your phone to pull the OTA message or something like that

Journeyman

I did this about 10 times and it still never gave me the notification for the update. It still says up to date yet I still have 4.0.4.

Journeyman

About 10 times later still nothing...

Journeyman

Did you clear the data and then press force stop before going to check for the update?  Try doing the clear data,  then force stop then restart your phone and check for the update,  I know it works different for some people and sometimes takes more times repeating the process. It worked the 1st time for me when clearing and force stop then checking for software update,  I also had my wifi turned on and connected

Journeyman

I got it to work but what I did was look for an alternative to doing this. I found a video that was the very exact details you provided minus the force close part and it worked. Did it on a buddy's s3 as well.

Journeyman

Lol okay, glad it worked for ya, but when I first tryed it I only did the data clear then checked for the update twice and it didnt work, so then I did the way I explained and worked first try

Journeyman

FINALY!!! Thanks to this it worked... Thanks!!!

Journeyman

I tried 3 times with no luck thinking this wasn't gonna work.  On the fourth time, I got the notification of the update.  As I write this, it's installing Jelly Bean!  Thanks!

By the way, you might want to turn on Wi-Fi before you do this.  Otherwise, it'll take a long, long time to download!  ;-)

Journeyman

Took maybe 4 tries for me, and bang, I'm downloading the update now.  Thanks!!

Journeyman

i noticed a few things missing...i have a few numbers i sent straight to VM before update... i dont see that option anymore can u help with that

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat