cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Force OTA Update of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on Samsung Galaxy S III without doing all the programming nonsense

Journeyman

Re: How to Force OTA Update of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on Samsung Galaxy S III without doing all the programming nonsense

YOU ARE THE MAN!

Journeyman

Re: How to Force OTA Update of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on Samsung Galaxy S III without doing all the programming nonsense

It didn't work at first for me either UNTIL I cleared data and then turned phone off and then back on. It started downloading the update. I forgot to say THANKS!!!!!

Message was edited by: kdjmd

Journeyman

Oh yeah!... I have been trying this off and on since I first heard about it about 8 or 9 days ago without any luck.  I gave it a go at work today, first trying it without force stop (checking right after) and then trying it after clear data and then force stop.  Worked!!  It is downloading right now at a snails pace because I am at work and didn't want to reboot into 4G mode, but it is downloading!!

I thought i was going to be the last dude in Chicago to get the update pushed to his phone!!  Somebody has to be last, right?? 

Anyways - thanks to whomever thought of this!!

Journeyman

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

As I said earlier it worked the very first time for me.  I went to a Sprint Repair Store this past Thursday.  The "tech" stated I had to wait for the OTA update. You would think he (and Sprint) had this info.  Unbelievable!!  THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Journeyman

The procedure to download the update worked fine, the problem was I got a status 7 error after it tried to install. Trying again... downloading all 347mb again...

Update: After downloading it 2 times. the install failed both times.

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/lib/libdivxdrm.so", "35edded78.....blah blah

E:Error in cache/eec995eb4a5b.update_SPHL710_LI3_to_LJ7.zip

(Status 7)

Journeyman

I have the same problem.

Journeyman

No problems here! Thanks for the tip. I had to go thru the steps twice and it worked without any issues. It's nice to have forums like this where people are willing to help each other out! You rock!!

Journeyman

So my Galaxy S3 is not giving me the option to CLEAR DATA so i dont know what to do??? HELP PLEASE

Journeyman

The only thing I can think of is to turn your phone off and back on,  and then see if you can do the data clear/force stop now. If not the only other option that comes to mind is one involving a computer,  go to your phones apps and open up the Kies Air application and connect to it, im pretty sure this is done by putting in the URL given to you on your mobile into your browser on your computer, and then your computer see if you can check for the software update that way.  I've heard of some people doing it this,  way just not completely sure of the actual steps for this way. 

Journeyman

Im not sure why your phone wouldnt allow you to do the data clear with the Google services framework, but with the Kies air way I think all you basically want to do is make sure your phone is connected to a computer through Kies Air and then on  your phone check the system update and see if that gets your phone to recieve the update message.

Journeyman

I would try clearing out some of your cache and your RAM. If you can,  download the app Clean Master from Play Store,  it has a small blue brush icon. (the app is free) Its simple to use, clean/clear your phone using Clean Maser then go ahead with jelly bean update, it should work fine now, if not the update is messed up somehow so try again later

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat