cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More problems after the 4.3 upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

More problems after the 4.3 upgrade

When one problem is solved, another one appears.  I haven't seen this problem and wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

After the dreadful 4.3 update I was having many problems.  I was able to get most of them fixed, but still like so many of us had Bluetooth connectivity problems.  My phone would connect to BT devices, but they would not function properly.  On a hunch, I did however, find an app that was not compatible with the upgrade and deleted it from my phone.  Once I took this app off my phone, the BT started working properly again.  Voice and music would not come thru the BT device and not out the ear piece of the phone.  After resetting my phone, and thinking everything was fine, I went to reinstall another app that I deleted.  I opened up Google Play store and went to install the app.  I got an error code.  I also tried to update an app that needed an update and again this error code appeared.  Regardless of a download or update, my Google Plat store gives me an error code.  The code reads as follows.  "Error retrieving information from the server. [RPCSmiley Frustrated-3]".  Has anyone else seen this error code and if so, what did you do?  I have talked to Samsung and Google tech support and have had no luck.  BTW, if anyone is interested how I solved my BT problem, I deleted an app that was a "personal assistant" but now I have this other problem.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: More problems after the 4.3 upgrade

After any major operating system update, most hard-core Android purists insist that it's wise to do a hard reset. Frankly, I don't make a habit of this myself. Hard resets are a pain in the butt! Yet the unfortunate truth is that they ARE sometimes necessary to get everything back in working order. There's no way to know if it's absolutely necessary for you. Yet even though they're a definite hassle, they'll never do any harm to your phone ... and it could very possibly eradicate every last problem.

Journeyman

@Shadowship.  Thanks for your reply.  Since my post, I in fact do a hard or factory reset.  I really had no choice as my Google Play was acting so weird it was drivning me crazy.  It wanted to keep downloading apps that weren't on my phone and it wanted to update itself which it couldn't. Anyway, I got to the point where I just had to do a factory reset.

Since the hard reset,  my phone has been doing fine...i think.  I still have the huge battery drain but I am in the process of fixing that.  I have done a full cache wipe and have turned off the Optimizer.  Time will tell if this did the trick.

I am still angry that some of my favorite apps are not compatible with the new software.  I just hope the manufacturers can get their apps up to date for the new 4.3

Master

SprintUser_Bob,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am happy to hear that your phone is working fine after the reset. Unfortunately, as you know, some apps stop working with newer versions of OS, but this is usually temporary. Hopefully the app developers will include 4.3 compatibility soon. If you have any questions or need any further assistance, please let us know.

Toya

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

@Toya.  So far so good.  Since the full cache wipe and the Sprint optimizer turned off, my battery drain has decreased quite a bit.  Yesterday, with moderate use, my battery lasted me the entire day, from 7am till midnight without charging it once.  However, tomorrow will be the true test as I will be back at work and going in and out of wifi areas. 

I would like to know why the Sprint optimizer uses so much battery?  Why is it called "optimizer" and what does it really do if turned on?  Thanks ahead for your answer.

Master

SprintUser_Bob,

The Sprint optimizer is aimed to automatically connect to saved Wi-Fi network, one of the benefits is that battery life can be increased up to 50% by using our connection optimizer. It shouldn't be draining battery, instead it should be helping and creating more efficiency in battery life. We want to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, I will forward your experience to the appropriate channels. 

Eduardo 

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Eduardo,

Thank you for that answer and explanation of the Optimizer.  After a few days at work with the Optimizer off, my battery life did increase but marginally.  Before the update, my battery would last me the entire day at work (6am-7PM) with moderate use keeping in mind that the WiFi signal is repeated using multiple repeaters and my phone loggin in to them as I walk around.  After the update and using my phone the same amount my battery would conk out by noon.  After turning off the optimizer these past few days, my phone would only last until 1Pm or so but I would have the problem of loggin in to our WiFi everytime I left one area and went into another.  WHAT A PAIN!  However, this was no where near what I was getting before the update.

So after reading your post, I re-turned on the optimizer.  So far at home, the battery has lasted pretty much the entire day (not as much as before the update, but pretty close), but I am not stressing the WiFi signal.  I will keep the optimizer on the next time I am at work and see what happens.  I still do not know why the update has caused such a battery drain and how to minimize that.  Also, I have now noticed that the WiFi signal is not as strong as it once was.  Where I used to get full bars, I am not getting ony 3 or 4.  Nothing else has changed except the update.  Any thoughts??

Journeyman

The "official response" given here is correct ... to a certain extent, from a certain perspective.

The basic idea is that the battery is drained less rapidly when connected to wi-fi, as opposed to the carrier's data signal. The Sprint Optimizer looks for your wi-fi signal, then automatically switches from data to wi-fi once said signal is found ... thus, in theory, saving some juice by avoiding that power hungry data connection. Sounds good, eh?

However, the Optimizer's constant search for a signal uses a notable amount of battery power in and of itself! Far better, all articles on this topic suggest, to keep the Optimizer fully turned off in perpetuity. When you enter a known wi-fi area, such as work, home, or whatever, manually activate the connection yourself. Depending on your digital dexterity, that will take all of one or two seconds ... with ZERO DRAIN on the battery by that Optimizer thingy!

And don't forget to manually switch off when hitting the road once more.

Master

ShadowShip,

Thank you for the reply. I like what you said in your response regarding the optimizer.  Officially it is designed to be less drain on your battery if a wifi signal is available but you make a great point that it also uses energy to seek out wifi.  Besides the battery saving it is also designed to ensure less strain on the data transmissions supplied by the serving network and for ease of use when indoors. No matter who the carrier, the signal from a wifi router (which is probably within 20 feet of you indoors) will tend to be stronger than an external signal that has to permeate the walls of a building to be delivered so the optimizer saves someone from having to manually switch.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Master

SprintUser_Bob,

Thanks for your reply. The update should not be altering the WiFi signal itself. Is this on all connections to WiFi or only within your home? Have you been able to check out the results outside of your home as of yet?

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Hi Dan,

Thanks for for your response.

So here here is the latest....yesterday (Monday) I left the house with a fully charged battery and arrived at work at my usual 6am.  Yes, I work weird hours.  With moderate use, and no different than my usual usage, the battery lasted me until  about 7pm (my usual time to head home).  The battery was showing 12% left.  This was with the sprint optimizer turned on.  Before 4.3 I would have 20%-25% left on my battery at the end of my work day.  The 12% is a vast improvement to what I was getting and the difference could be in my usage, so I was not concerned but rather happy.  HOWEVER, and this is the kicker, this morning I tried to repeat my results by doing the same thing, leaving the house with a full battery and moderate usage, but by 8am i was down to 63%!!!  By 10am I had to recharge my battery.  WTF!!!  I did everything the same.  Same apps were open, same amount of screen on time, everything that I can control was the same, but totally different outcomes.  I just don't understand it.  I will try again tomorrow and see what happens but I am not expecting anything good.

Regarding the WiFi signal, everything is the same except for the amount of bars I now get and of course the 4.3 update.  I am really at my wits end and ready to throw the phone out in the garbage.

Journeyman

Hey Bob -

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=298919

Here's the link to an excellent article on battery saving tips.

The Galaxy S3 really is a fine piece of equipment. Like virtually all other higher end smartphones, it has considerable energy requirements. Yet there's a LOT that can be done to reduce that demand. Effectively using all of these methods does require a bit of knowledge regarding Android systems. Yet many of the tips can be employed by just about everyone within mere moments.

Additionally, not mentioned in the article, are certain battery saving apps found in Google Play. Most of them are dubious as to their claims. Yet one in particular - called JuiceDefender, which I've long used myself - does make a substantial impact. It does this by controlling data and wi-fi when your phone is NOT in use ... on the table, in your pocket, etc.

But you'll have to shell out $3 for such. Look for "JuiceDefender Plus". The basic free version, "JuiceDefender" will do some good, but you'll want the numerous extra features of its premium counterpart.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat