cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??

65 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??

Sprint is likely prioritizing regions where there is no competition with inherited clients that would conflict with their three-frequency LTE plan.

Have zero iDEN customers where you live?  (sure, you couldn't know that yourself)

Be thankful sprint employs both CDMA (voice) and FDD for multi frequency LTE.  (TDD is more very-not brilliant than TDMA) .... not to be confused with awesome TMDA antispam.

SHAME sprint into less-horrible coverage by running both free apps which collect actual-coverage from your device correlating to both wifi and GPS uploading to a common-, publicly viewable database

Sensorly

&

Open Signal

free apps do NOT wield third party ads; those are not-free adware flavor of malware (that's bad).  PAYING COSTS via raping your privacy is never acceptable.

Your roaming-LTE or lack thereof is governed in part by PRL but in essence by sprint's local interlink contracts.  Sprint is not verizon. The latter has much much better roaming agreements... at a cost.  Cut your mobile cost while you wait by outgrowing OLD sms texting for XMPP Texting freeing yourself to text from any- or every internets device without requiring a proprietary app, without requiring your friends to install a single service.  XMPP texts are free in the classical sense:  without cost.

GrandMaster

if youre picking up a wimax signal then your phone isnt capable of using LTE..its either one or the other...if you currenlty have one of the new LTE phones then youre picking up LTE...not wimax.. WOMBAT is pulling LTE 4G. he has posted numerous screen shots of his speeds..which to date he still has one of the highest speed test screen shots posted so far with a 39mbps.

me88me wrote:

Hi Wombat,

I'm in SF and i don't get LTE coverage on my phone.  I tried but still just getting 4g WiMax that keeps cutting in and out!  What part of SF are you?

nvm, i see that it's 4g only which i'm getting... your getting 4g WiMax in SF.

Journeyman

Hi Wombat,

I'm in SF and i don't get LTE coverage on my phone.  I tried but still just getting 4g WiMax that keeps cutting in and out!  What part of SF are you?

nvm, i see that it's 4g only which i'm getting... your getting 4g WiMax in SF.

Journeyman

I'd like to address the person who came on here telling people they need to read their manuals.

You are completely right that people should do their homework before they buy a product.  I did not, and so when I happily received my S3, I was excited to try out the 4G service I had already been enjoying for some time on my HTC Evo.  I was disappointed to find out that the S3 does not have the necessary components to pick up the regular 4G signal.

I found out that at the time, 4G LTE had not been scheduled for rollout here in the Minneapolis metro area.  It was looking like it was going to be a year or more before I got to escape the prison of 3G again.

I'm a patient person, and I have dealt with 9 months of nothing but 3G on this super smart phone.  I did not decide to blame Sprint for my lack of homework, and I resigned myself to waiting and enjoying the phone's other features. 

Now that we have said all that, let's flash forward to today.  I got the notion to check the progress of 4G LTE rollout in my area.  Eureeka!  There are already three towers up in the metro, with one scheduled to go in my neighborhood about three months from now.  My wait will soon be over.

However, here is where I describe Sprint's dropping of the ball.  (Please bear in mind that I am very pleased with Sprint's service despite the drawbacks I occasionally experience.

The person who told me it would be about three more months for LTE in my neighborhood then went on to tell me that I need not wait, that my Galaxy S3 was capable of picking up the regular 4G signal.

Say what?!

Hence I arrived at this thread, trying to find out how to do what the service representative told me I could do.

Then I read that others have had the same problem, and that I am not the only person that has been incorrectly told by a Sprint representative that this cutting edge phone should pick up 4G.

I called Sprint again, and the representative told me the same thing as the one I called earlier.  She told me that the fact sheet that she is provided on this particular phone lists it as having 3G, 4G LTE, *AND* 4G capability.  I let her know that I was almost certain that the listing of 4G capability on the fact sheet for the Samsung Galaxy S3 was an error.  I made sure that she would let her supervisor know about this discrepancy, and I gave her the address for this thread so she could read it herself and show it to her boss.

So, in closing to the person who said I should do my homework:

It looks like if I had called and asked Sprint back in June '12 when I got the phone if I could use 4G on it (I had found out on the web that I couldn't then), they would have told me that I should be able to.  Samsung and Sprint need to clear up this error on the fact sheet that is provided to the Sprint representatives.  You're right that people should do their homework, but you are wrong in the implied assertion that Sprint has been flawless about addressing this issue.

I hope this helps to resolve this issue, and I am floored that it is still an issue a full nine months after I bought my phone.

GrandMaster

this was how it was labeled back with the original EVO 4G..roughly a couple years ago it was changed up to all smart phone whether 4G or not..most techs will not state this but it is what it is.

jkess2012 wrote:

fireguy_6364 - That has been my arguement for years now.  Paying the $10 extra dollars for 4g service.  They (Sprint Customer Service) will swear its otherwise, believe I was told last time it was for "smartphone high bandwidth usage" but when I purchased the plan it was clearly labled $10 4g service added to my unlimited plan.  They play the symantics game and simply ****** me off.  I had 3 4g phones over the past 3 years, and actually only used it once when I was traveling in a specific area.  And it crapped out, going in and out of service killing my battery in 10 minutes (from full to empty).

I have the Galaxy S3 now on T-Moble, full bars 4g sitting in my home in a small town in Maryland.  With sprint, i would have 1 bar, 3g sometimes.   Sorry, I just couldn't keep paying for a service like that,  Then they try to offer Airwave's and tell you that a new tower is being built, but its all just a tall tale. 

Sorry Sprint, you had something great about 4 years ago, but all I can simply put is that your company, your service and your business decisions ruined it for many smartphone users that simply loved your service.  You made the bad choice on WiMax, and the sad thing is that you still sell the phones and promote it has 4g but you do not have one tower available for it.  I feel I had been cheated for the past 3 years by your company, and since moving to a new area, where your service just simply sucks, I have to say have fun screwing people over until your company folds under.  But we all know that won't happen because you;; just change the name of a service / plan while in contract and find a way to keep pulling money from customers. 

Look, i know its a business, the whole capitalist mentality, but honestly wireless companies are on the same subhuman level as health/flood insuarnace companies.  You could fold over and I would not give one **** care.  Adios Sprint!

Journeyman

fireguy_6364 - That has been my arguement for years now.  Paying the $10 extra dollars for 4g service.  They (Sprint Customer Service) will swear its otherwise, believe I was told last time it was for "smartphone high bandwidth usage" but when I purchased the plan it was clearly labled $10 4g service added to my unlimited plan.  They play the symantics game and simply pissed me off.  I had 3 4g phones over the past 3 years, and actually only used it once when I was traveling in a specific area.  And it crapped out, going in and out of service killing my battery in 10 minutes (from full to empty).

I have the Galaxy S3 now on T-Moble, full bars 4g sitting in my home in a small town in Maryland.  With sprint, i would have 1 bar, 3g sometimes.   Sorry, I just couldn't keep paying for a service like that,  Then they try to offer Airwave's and tell you that a new tower is being built, but its all just a tall tale. 

Sorry Sprint, you had something great about 4 years ago, but all I can simply put is that your company, your service and your business decisions ruined it for many smartphone users that simply loved your service.  You made the bad choice on WiMax, and the sad thing is that you still sell the phones and promote it has 4g but you do not have one tower available for it.  I feel I had been cheated for the past 3 years by your company, and since moving to a new area, where your service just simply sucks, I have to say have fun screwing people over until your company folds under.  But we all know that won't happen because you;; just change the name of a service / plan while in contract and find a way to keep pulling money from customers. 

Look, i know its a business, the whole capitalist mentality, but honestly wireless companies are on the same subhuman level as health/flood insuarnace companies.  You could fold over and I would not give one damn care.  Adios Sprint!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

that $10 fee has only been going for a couple years now..if you'll notice even non 4G phones are getting this fee as well..any and all smart phones weather 4G or not get this fee..even the iphone 4S gets this fee and it isnt 4G capable..

and once they actually start NV work in sac i'll start thinking about jumping to the LTE bandwagon..until then im still holding out sinse im only in sac every couple of months anyways. to be honest i dont even use much of the old 4G wimax while im there anyways unless im at training and decide to watch a movie while on break/lunch

Journeyman

Funny I live in Sacramento, less the 90 miles from SF and we don't get jack for 4G LTE service. The $10 a month charge was for 4G service that why they considered it "premium data". I wasn't getting charged $10 a month when I had my blackberries for all those years and they were considered "Smart Phones". It was not until I upgraded to a 4G device the charge was implemented on my account. When we weren't getting 4G service Sprint was giving each of my lines a service credit of $10 due to our area NOT having 4G service at the time. So that comment is completely not true. I will be calling sprint about this again. I will not pay the $10 premium data charge for just 3G service. If I wanted just 4G service I would go to some other company like Metro PCS, Virgin Mobile or something. Completely astonished Sprint wasn't on top of this moving forward with there devices.

Journeyman

Also, Sprint is taking down some WiMax towers (cause some of them were unstable) and are replacing them with universal 4G (LTE included!) and 3G networks. Some people are becoming cynical of Sprint's coverage but I suggest while they have the unlimited plan (and since not all areas have LTE yet the price is low) It is the perfect time to get Sprint. I tested some LTE with my Note 2 and it's great! Definitely have a lot of hope for Sprint!

Journeyman

Dear jpfan

Both your WiMAX phones should do just fine

As long as sprint does.t shut their WiMAX towers down ....

If you get lucky to get lte service

Compare them both

Then decide to upgrade them .if it worth the premium